The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 7, 2010, 11:12 PM   #1
hemiguy

I PASSED!

LADIES AND GENTS!!!!

I stand before you a changed man!

I am now a proud an elite member of the Nevada / Utah CCW permits! Took my tests, passed and now I have to just pay my fees and get he license!

JUst for craps and kicks, I wanna load myself up.. pepper spray, hand cuffs (my private property use and future guard work).
I qualified with my Glock G22 40 CAL, honestly... If I have installed a crimson trace grip laser, a tactical glock light. What is the best tatical belt and holster to carry that is still comfy? I see a lot around, lots of options.. Secondly as far as "holsters" go, whats the best option to holster your 5" knife, pepper spray, cuffs and extra mags?

I know everyone is different, but just wanna get everyone's personal opinions see what everyone else is carrying to get myself on the right line.

Thanks guys! I am excited!

-Louie
Old January 7, 2010, 11:18 PM   #2
mnhntr

this is a joke right?
Old January 7, 2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Dwight55

Congrats!!!

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 7, 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Jim March

Don't go out in public with handcuffs. My recommendation: don't even think about it. Don't even buy any...unless they're fuzzy and you're into that sort of thing .

We're not cops. Yes, we sometimes end up bailing somebody else out of trouble, but in the worst case we can (and I would argue, SHOULD) act to stop violence - against ourselves or others, as we encounter it.

We do not however "punish". We don't enforce the law. That's crossing the line.

Cops have a term for people who go running around acting like cops. "Strange Rangers". It's not a term of affection. The only thing worse than a strange ranger is an ARMED strange ranger.

Don't go there. M'kay?

Now with that said: I've drawn deadly force three times in my life. I'm now 43. I've been outside of California since 2005, lived there my whole life previously...and that's where all three cases were. So they involved knives. Short rundown:

* Some idiot tried to mug me with a large wrench on him. Pulled cutlery. He ran off. Cool.

* A guy was being attacked by two large dogs. Knife out, I drove 'em off.

* Four maniacs were trying to kick some guy to death after knocking him over with standard household hammers. I pushed 'em off (note: didn't see the hammers right away!!!), got the downed victim out of there, backed the maniacs off.

So, two out of three cases involved defense of another, one involved dogs, the two "human" attacks involved club-like weapons. No legal problems from any, and I gave evidence in the case of the maniacs with hammers. The (completely innocent it turned out) victim shook my hand in the DA's pre-trial conference, and the cops returned my cutlery on-scene after I gave a statement.

These days I'm in Tucson AZ and I pack a plenty big piece. But I also know I'm not a cop. I can defend, but not attack and not punish.

And for damnsure I have no need whatsoever of handcuffs.

(Flashlight, yeah, absolutely...if you're packin' iron and not a flashlight, you're doing it wrong.)
Old January 8, 2010, 01:02 AM   #5
stantonizm

I'd say get a good pair of ninja shoes to keep you comfortable while you're carrying all that stuff.
Old January 8, 2010, 01:16 AM   #6
hillbillyshooter

My everyday carry is dual silenced Beretta 92s in a double shoulder holster with a Mossberg Super Shorty on thigh. I wear my C2 Vest with plate inserts and chain mail over top of this to prevent being stabbed or the possible goldfish attack. I have a OC mister keeping a 3 ft radius around me. Boy, that resperator gets hot in the summer. Fixed to my Kevlar hemet is a 2 million candle spotlight. Handcuffs? Amateur move! I go with the shackles with 2 spit-hoods (just in case). I also carry a tranq-gun (for toddlers). Happy hunting, Hemiguy!
Old January 8, 2010, 01:24 AM   #7
riggins_83

LEOs don't like civilians running around with handcuffs. Besides your CCW is for self defense not for retention of attackers. As somebody once wrote:

"A CHL is simply a licence to carry a pistol, not to act like a cop. Break contact if you can, shoot them if you must. Your goal is to survive."
Old January 8, 2010, 01:40 AM   #8
jakeg823

Make sure when you buy new pants they come up to your bellybutton...cuz once you load yourself down like "Rambo 8:the rentacop chronicles" your pants are gonna be in low rider mode...may wanna invest in a good belt too if you're serious about all of that
Old January 8, 2010, 01:59 AM   #9
mica

Old January 8, 2010, 02:09 AM   #10
beequick

"My everyday carry is dual silenced Beretta 92s in a double shoulder holster with a Mossberg Super Shorty on thigh. I wear my C2 Vest with plate inserts and chain mail over top of this to prevent being stabbed or the possible goldfish attack. I have a OC mister keeping a 3 ft radius around me. Boy, that resperator gets hot in the summer. Fixed to my Kevlar hemet is a 2 million candle spotlight. Handcuffs? Amateur move! I go with the shackles with 2 spit-hoods (just in case). I also carry a tranq-gun (for toddlers). Happy hunting, Hemiguy!"

ROFL
Old January 8, 2010, 02:47 AM   #11
Nydhog502

Hillbilly.... I think I cracked a rib laughing at that.
Old January 8, 2010, 03:47 AM   #12
hemiguy

ok, I havn't read all the posts yet! BUt I must post before this gets locked or goes too far.

Yes, I am a fresh CCW, I am aware that I can't punish. From what my instructor told me you can only punish in the state of Nevada while on private property and instructed to do so. As long as you take a tatical course or guard course in NV, then you cna get a guard card or sherrifs card, then in THOSE and ONLY those cases (with the exception of my own home as my instructor exclaimed) is where I would use or even carry the cuffs. By looking at some of the guard jobs and things they want you to have cuffs while on private property. **** even target stores retail renta cops have em.

If you think I;m bad, holey crap.. there is this cat over at a gun store here (shall remain nameless) that carries, 3 firearms, 2 tasers, 6 mags loaded with hollow points), 2 batons (1 electric like a cattle prod that folds), hand cuffs, pepper spray, this guy is ridiculous.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 9, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Crude, unnecessary analagy
Old January 8, 2010, 05:29 AM   #13
GojuBrian

Quote:
whats the best option to holster your 5" knife
I don't know about there, but here we are issued a chl(concealed handgun license). That doesn't permit you to carry just any weapon you want like knives and clubs, it has to be a handgun. It's not a knife and club permit.

Pepper spray, stun guns, or tasers are legal to carry here anyways with or without a permit.

You won't need handcuffs and don't try them unless it's 'her' idea.

Oh yeah, try crossbreedholsters.
Old January 8, 2010, 05:35 AM   #14
comn-cents

nuts? confused? young? inexperienced? whatever it is I'm scared. Hope you don’t end up in my city clanking around like an old trash can rolling down a hill with all the “stuff” on.
Old January 8, 2010, 05:54 AM   #15
igor

Instead of tactical belt, you might want to try and find a casual, inconspicuous and comfortable one.

Light on the gun is IMHO not optimal due to 1) it makes the already less than comfy gun even more cumbersome to carry, and holster choices get scarce and 2) you'll swipe everything you light up with your gun, violation of Rule #2, very bad form. I stow a Fenix torch in a horizontal holster, sits nicely along the belt. A coat pocket is even better, easy to have the light in hand without showing any "activity".

Extra mag, whatever with a top enclosure, also a good idea to e.g. pilfer your Leatherman or Gerber tool holster with the label on it. All the better urban camouflage. The tool can go in a pocket, YMMV but that's all the sharp object I need.

My philosophy about the extra mag is, it's there in case of a malfunction, not for added ammo capacity. I definitely won't carry more than the two, 14+14 there already...

OC can, I prefer coat pocket (see above), failing that, pants pocket.

"Excited" would be something you might want to shed before going out armed. Just my 2 Eurocents.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old January 8, 2010, 08:56 AM   #16
stantonizm

Quote:
I am aware that I can't punish. From what my instructor told me you can only punish in the state of Nevada while on private property and instructed to do so.

PUNISHER III: PRIVATE PROPERTY

Last edited by stantonizm; January 8, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:02 AM   #17
jhenry

Stay away from deep water. If you fall in you'll never get your lips to the surface.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:10 AM   #18
Microgunner

God love these guys. I need a good giggle in the morning.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:20 AM   #19
MTT TL

pepper spray - Check

hand cuffs (my private property use and future guard work) (well ok, don't go crazy with them or carry them elsewhere)

Glock G22 - A little large for CC, but ok. OC is legal in AZ anyway.

crimson trace grip laser - Nothing wrong there, a fine piece of gear.

tactical glock light - Well, ok but my $2 LED flashlight gets the job done and it weighs almost nothing and the batteries last near forever.

tatical belt- For what?

holster - Blackhawk concealment retention holster, get the mag pouches as well. It is comfy.

Quote:
whats the best option to holster your 5" knife, pepper spray, cuffs and extra mags?
If you are not carrying your cuffs you won't need them to put them on your belt. A 5" knife might be excessive also. A smaller folder might fit in a Gerber belt pouch a bit easier. The flashlight can go in a pouch next to your knife on your belt.

So strong side - Gun, spray, knife
Weak side - Extra Mag pouches, flashlight

Don't worry too much about the sarcastic comments. Better to have it and not need than to not have it....
Old January 8, 2010, 11:14 AM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

Good Lord:

1. Not acceptable doctrines - you can punish folks on private property?
2. Sexist and crude analogies
3. Not being up to our standards of literate conversation!
4. Language filter violations

CLOSED!