The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2006, 05:30 PM   #1
almtiba

Eye Protection - Need Advice

Hi,

I've been shooting clays for a while, and I decided it's time to buy some good, specific eye protection.

I do use my prescription glass to shoot, but I'm looking for some more specific shooting glasses, for the size and lens color.

The one I use is too small, because most of the time i see the clay outside the lens, over it. Specially in skeet.

And wich color do you guys think it's the best for clays ? My range is in the woods, so I get green background and the clays are orange.

Most of the good shooters ther use amber lenses and some use yellow.

The most used brands are Zeiss, tasco and the italian Castellani.

The one thing to consider is that I'll need to use prescription. As I mentioned, I know I can do it with those brands, but I don't think it's possible with some other brands, specially those very recurved models.

Any sugestions ?
What about the colors ?

Thanks in advance,

Andre Tiba - Brazil
Old November 21, 2006, 06:24 PM   #2
nhill0408

Check out Wiley-X (www.wileyx.com)

Plenty of styles and options.

If they're good enough for the DOD to require their use in combat theaters, they're good enough for sportsman.
Old November 21, 2006, 07:02 PM   #3
skeeter1

I prefer clear, myself. Go to a good optician, and they'll get you whatever you want. I need prescription lenses as well. They won't be cheap (I'm guessing around $300), but probably worth it.
Old November 21, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
kudu

If you have to have prescription lenses, you will need to buy an interchangable lens system so you can get just the lenses made to fit th eframes. I have had DeCot Hy-Wyd frames and lenses for almost 20 years now, the same ones. They are a bit expensive initially, but after 20 years...

http://www.sportglasses.com/
Old November 21, 2006, 09:56 PM   #5
mswestfall

I purchased shooting glasses at the Grand American this last August. I mainly looked at DeCot Hy-Wyd and Randolph Ranger XL's. I ended up buying the Ranger's

You can link to them at http://www.randolphusa.com

There were two types of lenses offered. I didn't get the more expensive wrap-around type because I have trouble with fogging in the Summer. I purchased non-prescriptions; light yellow, red-orange and purple. I use the light yellow's for low light and the other two for sunlit days.

I bought them from:
Harold W. Morgan, Optician
Morgan Optical Sport Glasses
912 W. State Street
Olean, NY 14760
phone: 800-622-8781 / 716-373-0766
fax: 716-373-1275
e-mail: [email protected]

Good luck and let us know what you get.
Old November 21, 2006, 10:47 PM   #6
K96771

How timely...

After spending a small fortune and accumulating a drawer full of drug store remedies, I went to one of the chains this week that had my Rx and explained my dilemma. They heard the story before. $239 later I have exactly what I need - light amber.
Old November 21, 2006, 10:49 PM   #7
mete

I hate any color distortion so I have neutral grey. However I picked just a light tone just enough to cut the glare a bit. Go to your optician and explain exactly what you need .Remember that with your head down on the stock you're actually looking through a corner of the lens not the center .It would be nice if you could find an optician who was a shooter.
Old November 22, 2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Mr. Tettnanger

Wisdom from an Optician

I am a Optician. I make and sell glasses for a living. There are so many options and tints and lens materials, you can go wacky trying to figure it out. What works for you, may not work for others. I would suggest finding a real good certified Optician in your area (ABO-American Board of Opticianry certified). You may want to go to Specialty Lens website. Great info and great company. Real shooting glasses will cost you plenty. Do not fool yourself and cheap out. I would suggest getting several lens tints for varying lighting conditions. Some frame lines will allow you to switch out lenses and these are your best options. I would suggest Trivex and polycarbonate lens materials. I will try to answer any direct questions to the best of my knowledge....so...fire away!

Mr. Tettnanger
Old November 23, 2006, 02:07 AM   #9
David Berkowitz

I cheaped out, but I'm glad.
I had my regular prescription filled with older style frames that are larger than what is currently in vogue. Because they were an older style, I got a discount.
I then went to a local gun store and bought over sized shooting glasses that you wear over your regular glasses. Due to their oversize, they have great periferal vision, too.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old November 27, 2006, 10:26 PM   #10
USMC Tanker

I prefer Oakley M-Frames, for both work (USMC, Law Enforcement soon as well) and play (recreational shooting).

M-Frames have been around for so long, it's a trusted name, and there is an endless line of dedicated and trusting users. TONS of lenses and colors available.

I don't dig the different colors and tints, I've stuck with clear and gray/black lenses only.
Old November 28, 2006, 11:00 AM   #11
almtiba

Thanks for all the replies !!!

I've received my Zeiss Scopz Shooting Glasses from Cabelas, and decided to put polycarbonate transitions prescription lenses on it.

Since I've been using transitions (the ones that are clear in the dark and get darker in the sun) lenses in my every day use glasses, I decided to go for the same ones on my shooting glasses. Thar way, I'll be able to use it in indoor ranges as well as at my skeet/trap range.

Thanks again for all the valuable info !

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil