The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2000, 11:08 AM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Saw this at the shop a few days ago: side-by-side, 12-gauge, exposed hammers(!). Asking $350. Lots of people admiring it, but no one wants to take it home. Except me.

I have a Norinco SKS, and have handled one of their 1911s. Perfect functioning with both.

Anyone have any opinions or caveats before I adopt a new family member?

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited April 19, 2000).]
Old April 19, 2000, 12:04 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Since you asked for opinions....

It's probably a functional, sturdy piece. It's made by slave labor in the largest, most totalitarian dictatorship left on Earth. Chinese subjects( ain't no citizens in a dictatorship) cannot own one.

IMO, the price is not worth the Karma....

For that money, the Brazilian guns can be had. They also are sturdy,reliable,etc...
Old April 19, 2000, 09:24 PM   #3
N.Y.G MP Pvt

I purchased one and had to swiftly return it due to a brocken hammer(when cocked it would rotate all the way around). Out of the six other replacements they had in stock, two more had the same problem. I am still looking for a good coach gun. If anyone knows of one I would appreciate it.
Old April 19, 2000, 09:39 PM   #4
Joey

Was looking at one the other day at a gun show, it was rough and not that good of a shotgun. Seems like the hammers are fake in that they do not fire the gun, but could be wrong about that.

We picked up a IGA Stoeger 12ga coach gun for CAS from a local dealer for $317.00 striped it down, cleaned and lubed with tetra grease. The tetra slicked up the action some and now to find time and actually shoot the dang blasted thing.

------------------
http://www.dd-b.net/RKBA/ http://www.tcsn.net/doncicci/freedom.htm http://home.earthlink.net/~spwenger/spwenger.html
Old April 20, 2000, 09:16 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Joey is correct about the EAA IZH exposed hammer shotguns. They are not true hammers, they are basically safeties, IIRC. The firearm cannot be fired unless the "hammers" are cocked. Go to www.eaacorp.com to find out more information. They also have a pump shotgun that can feed from either a detachable mag or mag tube with the flick of the selector lever
Old April 20, 2000, 10:30 AM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Sigh. Thanks for the tips, guys.

FWIW, at the range last weekend, someone had a *real* coach. As in, made in 188X. 10-gauge, yowch! Looked like hell, but it was mechanically sound. If he's there next weekend, maybe I'll try to convince him to part with it.
Old April 22, 2000, 07:49 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A gunsmith I used to know approached this by getting an old Greener 10 ga, lopping off the bbls to 18",and loading up with a mild but quite potent load of 36 cal(maybeso .375 cal) pistol balls, maybe you could call them 0000.

Effect was awe inspiring on milk jugs.