The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 15, 2011, 06:13 PM   #1
t45

Car carry from NC to Fla?

Guys it looks like I will be making an emergency trip to Fla from NC tonight. I do not have my CCP from NC yet. What is the criteria for car carrying from NC through SC, Ga and into Fla? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 15, 2011, 06:27 PM   #2
stephen426

I can't answer for South Carolina or Georgia, but you do not need a permit to carry in the car as long as the gun is in a zippered case or snapped holster inside a closed compartment. You do need a permit to carry concealed and it is a felony to do so without a permit. Open carry just passed, but you still need a valid concealed carry permit to carry openly. I am not sure if the law has been implemented yet so I would not carry openly. Under the old law (possibly present law), open carry was considered a misdemeanor. Good luck and I hope everything is okay with your emergency trip.
Old April 15, 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
MLeake

Check http://handgunlaw.us
Old April 15, 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Check http://handgunlaw.us
+1. It will give you by state, all the info you need.
Old April 15, 2011, 07:49 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
but you do not need a permit to carry in the car as long as the gun is in a zippered case or snapped holster inside a closed compartment. You do need a permit to carry concealed and it is a felony to do so without a permit.
Not quite accurate.

In florida, the holster , soft case or hard case is required if under the seat or between seats. But if in a console or clove compartment it doesn't need any additional cases. The console or glove box are now "the case"... It does NOT need to be locked up, It does NOT need to be empty.

It can be in any state of readiness you wish. It can have one in the chamber and not on safety if you so desire.

It MUST NOT be visible to passers by. This provision is to reduce risk of scaring people.

IT MUST NOT BE ON YOU PERSON UNLESS YOU HAVE A PERMIT!

Brent
Old April 16, 2011, 06:15 AM   #6
blume357

S.C. car carry with out permit:

S.C. is simple... must be either in the glove box or enclosed in a center console.... can be loaded and does not need to be locked. Only other place you can have the gun is in the trunk.
Old April 16, 2011, 06:46 PM   #7
speedyjerry

In most cases gun laws are written for interpretation to be left up to the discretion of the officer, carrying a gun in the woods on a sunday is different than carrying in town during business hours.

A long haired tatoo'd scraggly looking character carrying in town at 3:00 am MAY get more closely scrutanized than a gentleman in a suit during the daytime.

A three step process before you can fire a round is pretty safe proceedure as far as the law is concerned. Open something, grab the gun, put a round in it.

Just being able to grab and shoot MAY make some law officials a little nervous.
Old April 16, 2011, 07:29 PM   #8
baddarryl

In NC the weapon must be displayed openly on the dash or front seat and can be loaded. No holster necessary. If no concealed permit, this is the way.
Old April 16, 2011, 07:40 PM   #9
MLeake

Gotta love the NC/SC state line transition then, huh?
Old April 16, 2011, 07:57 PM   #10
kym

So in North Carolina when you get out if the car are you required to leave it in the open where someone can steel it?
Old April 16, 2011, 08:12 PM   #11
speedyjerry

So at 3:am saturday night in the middle of cracktown it's okay to have a loaded gun on your dashboard?
Old April 17, 2011, 10:46 PM   #12
stephen426

from www.leg.state.fl.us

Quote:
17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
You are right hogdogs. I must have misread the statute due to the placement of the semi-colons. There is some ambiguity as to how and where the holstered or zippered gun may be carried in the vehicle. What is to keep someone without a concealed weapons permit from having the gun in a snapped holster right next to their seat? I think the glove box or center console is the safer bet since most cops will have you on the pavement if they see your gun before you get a chance to tell them about it.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:45 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
What is to keep someone without a concealed weapons permit from having the gun in a snapped holster right next to their seat?
Nothing at all. The only restrictions on where in the vehicle is it cannot be in plain sight. And under no circumstances may the gun be "on your person" unless you are a CCWP holder.

Pretty cool huh?
Brent