The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 12, 2010, 03:35 PM   #26
rburch

Quote:
i do remember hearing something about a NY city rule that ruled that placing your hand on a holstered gun was considered threatening. If you worked NYPD you obviously know more than me, but I do seem to remember the civilian review board made life difficult for a NYPD officer. Is it possible that this topic was in the news because of publicity from the civilian review board?
Quote:
Sounds like New York state has a few more barriers in place to make it a hassle for Officers to protect themselves!
Sorry, but if you're in a conflict with somebody (even verbal conflicts) and you grip your sidearm it is a show of force. It is a statement of your ability and preparation to use deadly force.

There are many situations where it is an appropriate response, but I've seen far too many officers use it to say I have a gun, you have to do what I say!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:01 PM   #27
Glenn Dee

Hey Silver... Fellow NY'r.

There was an edict that we remove all visible ammo from our duty gear, and that it was considered threatening. Many of us carried an excess of the 18 mandatory rounds in open belt loops. That was considered by some to be threatening that the police actually have bullets. OMG!!! Some guys wore 12 rounds on the back of their duty belt. Made them look like they were wearing a cowboy rig. I wore 6 on the front weak side of my gun belt. Mostly for the CDI factor though. Then one day it all ended...most of us went out and got an extra set of box carriers. (I always carried 24 spares)

But again.... I cant remember ever in my time hearing an order, or seeing a Patrol guide prociedure forbiding having hand on gun. As I said it was actually taught as a sound tactic.

Glenn Dee
Old December 14, 2010, 05:33 PM   #28
WANT A LCR 22LR

"" There are many situations where it is an appropriate response, but I've seen far too many officers use it to say I have a gun, you have to do what I say! ""

It should be enough that a uniformed officer is saying do what I say. When a person does not comply with a officer I see nothing wrong with the cop gripping a firearm as the person has already escalated the event.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:40 PM   #29
tc556guy

I'm in a rural area. Couple of times a week, maybe..thats for dispatching deer, clearing a building, etc.

I'm sure that its much higher in urban areas. We recently had a guy transfer to an urban dept an hour away; he stopped back a month later to say he drew his gun more his first two weeks there than he did with us in two years.
Old December 19, 2010, 11:49 PM   #30
Single Six

In the small southern town I serve in, numerous times a year over the past 20. More often than not, it's during building searches. More rarely, I've had to draw down on individuals...I'd say maybe between 30 to 40, total. Thankfully, every person I've confronted in this manner has surrendered...so far. I genuinely hope it remains that way. On those [also rare] situations I've had where I knew going in that armed encounters were more likely, I've left the pistol in it's holster and opted for the long gun as my primary armament. Compared to what my brother LEOs in the big cities face, I know I have it comparatively easy in many ways...and I wouldn't trade working here in Mayberry for anything else!
Old December 20, 2010, 01:36 AM   #31
HorseSoldier

Up here it would depend on shift. Mids (2300-0900) probably averaging out to once and change per shift (some nights more than once, occasionally not at all). Less frequently on Days (0700-1700), and then usually only for a warrant service or for a building search after an alarm pops, and somewhere in between on Swings (1500-0100).
Old December 20, 2010, 05:44 PM   #32
donglock26

I work in a high crime suburb of a high crime big city. Some days, I don't unholster my weapon. Some days, it's a few times a day depending on the calls- hold-up alarms, B&E alarms, family fights with weapons in the house, felony stops for stolen cars or narcotics activity, ect.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:19 AM   #33
FM12

I retired Aug 1 after 35 years combined small town (10 years) and state investigator (25 yrs). Unholstered maybe a dozen times during felony arrests. Never fired a shot.
Old January 5, 2011, 08:05 PM   #34
CorpITGuy

Spoke with an LEO friend who said she draws hers every time she works at night, multiple times. She said any time approaches a vehicle, she has her hand on her gun. If there is anything at all suspicious, she draws her Glock 22 and places it behind her right leg. No one has ever noticed, and she's less likely to, as some here have said, "play catchup".
Old January 8, 2011, 01:17 PM   #35
B.N.Real

Amazing responses here.

I expected alot of "I never had to draw mine in so and so years."

Better a gun drawn and reholstered then a gun not drawn and you're shot. I guess.

Glad to see officers,retired and active, here to post.

Great thread.