The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 19, 2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Range Report: Win 777 Primers

Finally got my new Winchester 777 Primes in, so two of my buddies and I went to the range yesterday. We shot a complete 100 round box of the primers, without changing any other load changes. We had NO misfires, and had NO difference in point of impact, on the target. I found NO crud ring in the bottom of the chamber, and I shot three rounds before cleaning out. Also the residue that comes out on your cleaning patch is not nearly as black as it was with the old primers. The most shots fired without cleaning out was 7 shots, without any major difference in group size. I honestly think a guy could shoot quite a while before there would be enough build up to make a very big difference. I had no trouble pushing a sabot down the throat, without cleaning out, although if your barrel is tight, one of the guys reported his was harder to push down after his 4th shot.

Rifles used were a Thompson Encore, a CVA,and a Thompson Omega.
NO problems were discussed at any given time, and NO one had any trouble.

Each primer came out very easily, and no one had to dig one out due to build up.

I think Winchester, has finally developed the ultimate primers.

I read on another forum that some guys had trouble with the primers not setting the powder load off. After using them yesterday, I am convinced that their problem was their powder, not the primers. Most guys don't store thier powder properly from one year to the next, and it will draw a little moisture if not done right, and therefore will not shoot right.

I go to Wally world, after season is over, and I buy any 777 pellets that they have left. They put it on special at about 1/2 the price as during season, so I stock up. I shoot my powder rifle all during the year, so I burn quite a bit of it, and this is the cheapest way to shoot.

When I get home, I take each box of powder, and I seal it air tight in my food saver machine, and store it in a cool dark gun safe. This keeps it fresh and eliminates the possibility of moisture being drawn in over extended periods of time.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; October 19, 2006 at 09:10 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old October 19, 2006, 02:18 PM   #2
marcseatac

I would like to try them but I still have 400 of the Remington Cleanbore primers to shoot first!
Old October 19, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

Get a box and try them now. You will throw the others away when you see how clean they are.
Old October 19, 2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Whisk

I'm still using them. Got 100.

I like them. Someone said they weren't any good but I've got so many I was just waiting. Maybe I'll stick with them. I have no frame of reference 'cause I just started shooting the 50 cal BP. Work good for me.......

http://www.lukefisher.com/napalm.wav