The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 14, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
taylorce1

3rd Season CO deer and elk

Well deer anyway, I never could close the gap on an elk this year. I took my deer after about a three hours stalk. He was bedded and I could never make out more than his head for sure, so my buddy and I waited him out and when he stood up and stretched I knew he hadn't seen us. He was about 120 yards when I took the shot, I pulled it a little and instead of a quartering towards shoulder shot it wound up a shot that shattered the neck and made him DRT.

Not the biggest deer I've ever shot but he was a four point. Plus it was in the last two days of a hard season finding more than just fork horn bucks. I wound up taking the largest deer out of our camp and we only managed to fill four out of six buck tags and one out of six elk tags between all eight hunters in camp.

The rifle used was a 1917 Enfield sporter chambered in .300 H&H. Bullet was a slow 2650 fps 180 grain Nosler Partition. Scope Leupold 2.5-8X36 VX-III and Leupold RB800 8X32 range finding binoculars were the optics used.

Lessons learned on this hunt, I need better binoculars! My Leupold 8X32’s just couldn’t pick up the details my buddies Nikon Monarch 10X42 compacts could. While the rangefinder is a nice feature, my friend was finding far more deer than I was able to at much greater ranges. I think next year I’ll be hunting with separate range finder and binoculars as I can pick them up much cheaper separate than to shell out the $2K plus for the range finding binoculars that I want now.
Old November 14, 2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Wyoredman

Nice buck! Those ole' mulleys like that burned timber!
Old November 15, 2011, 09:48 AM   #3
taylorce1

Quote:
Nice buck! Those ole' mulleys like that burned timber!
10 years ago you couldn't find a deer in this area, now that the burn has went through and the grass and browse is growing it has a lot of deer. I'm just afraid it is going to start taking more years to draw this tag than it does in the near future.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
AllenJ

Dandy buck sir, great job. I hunted elk in the southern part of CO and had the same luck as you
Old November 16, 2011, 08:44 AM   #5
chewie146

I'm hoping that happens here too. We had the Las Conchas fire come through, and between that and Cerro Grande, we're looking at LOTS of burned timber. Nice buck!
Old November 16, 2011, 07:13 PM   #6
WWWJD

Good looking critter! Good looking country too! I've never got to spend any time in CO; just touch and go's through Denver.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old November 17, 2011, 08:15 AM   #7
taylorce1

WWJD, you should come out for a little time outside watching elk in RMNP. Next time you fly through Den you should spend an extra day and drive up to Estes Park to look around. Plus Colorado has some of the cheapest out of state hunting tags for game like elk, if you ever want to do a hunt out here.

Here is my buddies deer he got the last day of season a tall three point. He help get me on my deer I shot. I lost track of my deer during the stalk when I was out of sight of the deer. He came up and joined me and helped me locate the buck in his bed. We then waited him out until he stood up and I was able to take a shot.

Old November 17, 2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

Nice bucks!

Taking a nice animal like that is such a pleasure. When we get old (well--I am already old) we can remember those nice times and smile a lot. Both of the hunters in this thread done good!