The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 27, 2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Kato_Guy

just tried something new!!

I have been using the power belts for a while now and have not been too happy with the results. I recently tried the hornady XTp in 300gr in front of the shockey gold. I found that they are pretty accurate in my omega (less than 2" @50). I was pretty happy with them at least.

Anyone have any info on what these things have been doing as in performance on deer size game?? I am only guessing but I think they will be better than the powerbelts.

thanks for any info
kyle
Old August 27, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
arcticap

If you ask 10 different people you'll receive 10 different answers. Everyone has their favorite bullet and their own individual experiences.
Hornady makes the 300 grain XTP and the 300 grain XTP Mag bullet.
The XTP Mag doesn't expand as well as the regular XTP, and some criticize the XTP Mag for that. And that's also said about the Hornady SST, yet many people still love their performance.
I personally think that the XTP is a very reliable & proven muzzle loading bullet, and the heavier 300 grain XTP version will penetrate even better than the 240 grain XTP while still providing greater expansion.
The XTP's are a long time favorite and since they shoot well out of your Omega, then I think that you've made a good choice.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...2546992d2a2166

Last edited by arcticap; August 29, 2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old August 27, 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Pahoo

Not sure how you measure "Performance" but I have been hunting with the 240 grain XTP's for a number of years with a wonder wad between the powder and Sabot and taken some nice deer. Last year took a nice buck with my .50 Lyman side lock, 777 with PRB at about 50 yds. with open sights, which is a stretch fer me. One shot into the vitals and that is performance for me as well. If the fun is part of the performance, then it sure was there.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 27, 2008, 08:20 PM   #4
simonkenton

The 300 XTP is a great deer killer. You just can't go wrong with it.
It has become a real favorite among us Savage shooters.
With the Savage, we crank out more fps than y'all other muzzleloader guys do.
So, with smaller bullets, such as the 250 XTP, or the 250 SST, we can get in to trouble, as these slugs may explode on a shoulder shot on a big buck. However, on a lung shot these 250s are very reliable.
The 300 XTP is big enough to provide reliable penetration on even a big buck at Savage speeds.

I cannot imagine you having a problem with this slug on deer, and it would also work on an elk or moose.