The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1
RevoRick

Trick out an 870

While browsing Gunbroker the other day I accidently pressed the buy now button and bought a 870 home defense shotgun with an extended magazine.(truth). At this point the seller will not let me out of the deal ( I am not done trying). If am am required to purchase this gun can you folks help me trick it out in a moderatly priced way. I may do this and then re-list the gun. Who knows I may even keep it if I can get it to the sufficient level of ninjatude.
Old February 19, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
IronBalls

when you get it, post a pic, and can advise from there....

really easy and cheap to play with an 870-
Old February 19, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
RevoRick

Here is a link to the gun. It is the one with the 6+1 mag extension.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tic_18inch.asp

This link show the stock and pistol grip I ordered.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=873014

I am contemplating a heat shield with ghost rings sights to elevate sighting to go with the uncombed stock. Advanced Tech also offers a 5 round shell holder that mounts on the stock.

Lets here your thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by RevoRick; February 19, 2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old February 19, 2006, 01:30 PM   #4
OneInTheChamber

Don't you have to go through more steps than just pressing the buy now button? Tell the seller he isn't getting any $$$ and he probably won't want to sell it anymore!
Old February 19, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
RevoRick

Quote: Don't you have to go through more steps than just pressing the buy now button?

Not if you have your computer remember your username and password like I do. When I contacted them I got the old. "Well you bid on it...." line. I have not pushed them because I do not want negative feedback. This happened yesterday so I still have time to decide. Been thinking maybe it would be fun to build it up and then maybe relist it. Maybe I will end up liking it. Who knows, the price was right.
Old February 19, 2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Mannlicher

the main trick is to have it as close to 100% reliable as possible. When I converted my old Wingmaster to a HD shottie, I replaced the springs, added a Scattergun Tech 2 shot extension, replaced the vent rib barrel with a factory 20 inch with rifle sights. I swapped out the safety for a Scattergun Tech model.
The other stuff, lights, cameras, solar cells, and GPS transponders are just 'tactical fluff', and don't contribute to the shotguns effectiveness.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 20, 2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All a short barrelled, "Serious" 870 really needs starting out is all the ammo you can afford. BA/UU/R until the thing feels like a body part.

At that point you can better choose between what will help you accomplish the mission and what is merely bling....
Old February 22, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8
870 wingmaster

I agree 100% dave, A simple short barreled shotgun is all that anyone will ever need!!! I can see why some folks like to have a shot gun that looks like it will take on an army with pistol grips, shell extender,lights,knife,saddle But in the real world scrap all that junk and learn how to shoot a stock 5 shell pump and you will have all you will ever need really!!! If that dont work you are in a situation you cant handle anyway!!! keep it simple-stock anything means reliability!!
Old February 22, 2006, 12:32 PM   #9
famine

I use my 870 for deer hunting and a red dot scope is a nice addition. Very quick and accurate.
Famine