The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 29, 1999, 06:28 PM   #1
DeadCalm

No, not the dog. My Charter Arms .44 and I took a header into my favorite trout stream. (Along with my new Milt Sparks belt and holster. Great...) I dried the gun's exterior and squirted a little Break-Free into the action and trigger area. Do I need to disassemble the gun and clean it? I live in a fairly dry climate. Oh, and I've never disassembled a revolver.

For future reference, if I should repeat this swan dive with my Kimber Stainless Classic, are its _internals_ any more resistant to rust or corrosion than a blued gun?

Should I give up fishing?
Old August 29, 1999, 09:22 PM   #2
Jim V

Well, I think that I would spray the heck out of it with WD40 (the WD stands for water displacing, let it set and then spray it down good with something like Gun Scrubber to get the excess WD40 out. The WD40 tends to kill primers. Then use your normal lube on the innards.

Another way to dry it is to take the grips off the Bulldog and hang it in a pan of boiling water until the revolver is too hot to touch. The water will evaporate rapidly. This always worked on blackpowder revolvers for me. So what that I was getting teh bp fouling out of the gun. It still worked.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old August 30, 1999, 12:26 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remove the stocks and toss it in the oven at 200 degrees. About half an hour should dry it thoroughly. Then squirt some Breakfree down it.

I've used WD40 for hosing down gun parts just removed from the bluing tanks (after the neutralizer of course). As it leaves a film, I'm reluctant to use it for the interior to displace water.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 30, 1999, 07:32 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I had this problem several times and found a solution for me - get a container (a flat 2 quart baking dish works well) and fill it with kerosene or gasoline. Immerse the gun in it. The idea is to get the gas/kerosene to displace the water. Any hydrocarbon liquid (diesel) should work. BTW - take the wood grips off.... AND NO SMOKING!!! (sorry for the shouting, but safety is important).

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited August 30, 1999).]
Old August 30, 1999, 10:38 PM   #5
Dorcas

Have you heard the one about the police chief that hid his gun in the oven? <big grin>

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...
Old August 31, 1999, 12:05 AM   #6
DeadCalm

Let's see if I have this straight. The gun goes in a pan of gasoline in a 200 degree oven?

Seriously, I just used a little butter and garlic. Superb results.

Thanks guys.
Old September 1, 1999, 11:45 AM   #7
sjones

How about using your wife's hair dryer?tAKE OFF THE GRIPS FIRST.