The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 05:28 AM   #26
draidt

Quote:
FoghornLeghorn Just like he said that the vast majority of NRA households wanted the bill to pass.

The POTUS has gotten into the habit of just throwing (whatever sounds good to him) out there.
Why shouldn't he ? He's never got called out by the LSM
Old April 22, 2013, 08:29 AM   #27
dlb435

I'd say that 90% of Americans just don't understand what's at stake here. Nor do thay think about the unintended consequences of enacting such legislation.

As a side note; this morning there was a shooting in New Orleans (no big news there). The tragic part of this is that 3 of the 5 victims were children under the age of 3. There is no doubt that this was a drug related shooting and none of the parties involved could legally own a gun. ie; the laws were already in place to prevent this shooting. It's just that the law was not enforced. Why would you think that an other law would help?
Old April 22, 2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
For instance DHMO can be lethal if inhaled even in small amounts.
That's true. Won't someone think of the children?

The thing about the 90% figure is that it claims 90% of Americans can agree on anything. That's like herding 300 million cats. Had I heard poll numbers claiming 60% support, I might have bought it.

90%? That should set off alarm bells for any educated person about the veracity of the survey itself.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:36 PM   #29
22-rimfire

The only +90% poll number that I believed was the vote for a certain presidential candidate in the last election by a certain minority.

I have read that it is next to impossible to get 90%+ agreeing on anything or any poll question.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:50 PM   #30
dlb435

When a poll is given it's often the wording that makes the difference.

You could ask: Do you beleive that guns should be kept out of the hands of criminals?

Almost everyone would say yes.

You might also phrase it as: Would you be willing to give up your rights as a citezen to prevent gun violence?

I'm guessing you'd get far fewer takers.

We don't know how the question was asked.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:52 AM   #31
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The thing about the 90% figure is that it claims 90% of Americans can agree on anything. That's like herding 300 million cats. Had I heard poll numbers claiming 60% support, I might have bought it.
Why? 90%+ supported both invasions in Iraq for example. Ask people about that today and you are likely to get a big mixed bag of answers. People in this country can develop an overwhelming consensus view in some cases.

Regardless would you settle for 82% of voters in a nationwide poll conducted by Fox News Corp? This is a drop off from their independent polling where it was 91% since the debate began in congress but still a super-majority.

Quote:
Do you favor or oppose expanding background checks on gun buyers?
20-22 Apr 13
Favor 82%
Quote:
Would you be more likely or less likely to support a political candidate who voted IN FAVOR OF expanding background checks on gun buyers?
20-22 Apr 13
More likely 68%

More telling of the respondents:
Quote:
48 percent -- say someone in their household owns a gun.

The real kicker from the poll?

Quote:
During a manhunt, 69 percent of voters want a gun
Including 50% in non gun owning homes.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/inte...ters-want-gun/