The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 1, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1
gyvel

Oh, it gets better yet...

California is now proposing the passage of a new law that would allow friends or family to report an individual who they feel is a "threat" to themselves or others. At that point a temporary "Gun Violence Restraining Order" would be levied against that person, until the case could be investigated. Of course, it's being touted as the "common sense" thing to do.

Anyone who is interested in more details of the story can see it on the MSNBC news "droppings" that we see when we sign on to our browsers.

Besides the obvious stupidity behind this law in the first place, I shudder to think of the horrid potential it could have across the nation. Think about it: Ex-wife PO'ed at you? She can say you have a gun and are a threat to her and you get the restraining order. Got a liberal neighbor? "So-and-so has a gun and I think he is a threat to others." "Hello, this is XYZ PD. Open the door please..." Or maybe you're feeling a liitle down one day; "OMG!! So-and-so is actiing suicidal and he has a GUN!"

I cannot fathom how incredibly STUPID these people are to even consider such a thing. What the Hell is wrong with them??
Old June 1, 2014, 08:33 PM   #2
seeker_two

1984 was about thirty years off.....
Old June 1, 2014, 08:36 PM   #3
gyvel

1984's got nothing to do with this; This is 19eighty-looney tunes.
Old June 2, 2014, 12:08 AM   #4
armoredman

gyvel, it's a book by George Orwell that predicted this type of behavior from Leftists - check it out, great book.

Yes, it is thought crime, lose your rights for doing nothing wrong.
Old June 2, 2014, 12:23 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Besides the obvious stupidity behind this law in the first place, I shudder to think of the horrid potential it could have across the nation. Think about it: Ex-wife PO'ed at you? She can say you have a gun and are a threat to her and you get the restraining order. Got a liberal neighbor? "So-and-so has a gun and I think he is a threat to others." "Hello, this is XYZ PD. Open the door please..." Or maybe you're feeling a liitle down one day; "OMG!! So-and-so is actiing suicidal and he has a GUN!"
This already happens with a lot of domestic disputes, in many states.
It happened in Utah, to a prominent gun rights advocate, and someone that made a living with his firearms, last year (maybe late 2012).

Ex-wife claimed he drove over her lawn (during some kind of neighborhood parade/party(?)), and called the cops. When they arrived, she said that he had threatened her and her new boyfriend/husband/whatever.

All of his firearms were taken for "safe keeping" for many months (along with a restraining order), until a judge with a brain finally went through witness statements and the personal history of the parties involved, to come to the conclusion that the ex-wife was just trying to ruin the guy, permanently take away his livelihood, and smear his name.

Sure, he got a judge that saw the light, in the end; but he also couldn't make a living in the meantime, and had to fork over a bunch of cash for a good lawyer (which he was unable to get reimbursed for through a civil suit).
Old June 2, 2014, 01:22 AM   #6
gyvel

Quote:
gyvel, it's a book by George Orwell that predicted this type of behavior from Leftists - check it out, great book.
Oh, yes, I am quite familiar with the book as I have read it numerous times and exhort people to reread it if they haven't touched it since high school.

Eric Blair (Orwell's real name) was quite prophetic in his description of a governing authority that becomes so large and ponderous that it reaches a point where it exists only for its own sake. (Sound familiar?)

Throw a few "spices" into the mix, and you have quite a concoction: Constant wars in various parts of the globe to keep peoples' minds off domestic affairs; Revisionist history; Outright deceit by the government ("The Party"); Increased financial control of the greater population via government handouts; Or, increased financial control of the population via threats and intimidations; Take your choice. Of course, the most obvious point of the story most readers remember is "Big Brother." We already have the surveillance and monitoring, so that is fait accompli

Blair fought in the Spanish Civl War, wanting to combat Fascism, but soon came to see that the Republicans, dominated by Communists were no better. After being wounded, he was able to make his way out of Spain. I would venture a guess that, due his observations of duplicty on both sides, these experiences probably influenced 1984.
Old June 2, 2014, 08:11 AM   #7
maestro pistolero

In their anti-gun, anti-self defense mind there is no value whatsoever to the right. So any violation of what they consider an illegitimate right is perfectly acceptable, even if the perceived or imagined threat is fraudulent.

We must be very careful here. If there is a legitimate threat from an individual, then we must be very thorough in investigating and intervening. In the case of the Santa Barbara murderer, he was adept at portraying himself as a reasonable, kind individual. The only hope came when the police interviewed him at the parents request.

Based on the writings of the murderer, I believe he was unaware that he couldn't refuse a search which, according to him, would have turned up several weapons and a written manifesto indicating what he intended to do with them.

I won't second-guess the officers, but I wonder if they pushed for a weapons search or not. The murderer could have said no, of course, and I doubt they would have had a basis to proceed.
Old June 2, 2014, 08:43 AM   #8
green_MTman

my wifes aunt's husband used to or may be back working at the Ruger plant in newport new hampshire.when my wifes aunt wanted a divorce she screwed him over by taking out a restraining order and lying that gary had tried to attack her.

the restraining order disqualified him from handling guns and caused him to loose his job at Sturm Ruger factory.

wifes aunt is now in north carolina and remarried and i dont know if gary ever got his job back.

i do see Bill Ruger jr. driving his black Bentley around lebanon and claremont NH quite a bit,so all the panic buying is good for business.
Old June 2, 2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Paul B.

"Of course, the most obvious point of the story most readers remember is "Big Brother." We already have the surveillance and monitoring, so that is fait accompli."

"Big Brother is watching you."

Back in the early 1950's when TV had some value rahther than a tool for brainwashing the masses ,there use to be several playhouses that put on various stage plays. One play was 1984. The actors did a great job and made the story about as chilling as it could be told. Later in high school I had to read it and do a report. I always remembered that line, "Big Brother is watching you." Sad to say, these days he really is watching us.
Paul B.
Old June 2, 2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Pahoo

Again, the devil is in the details !!!

With proposed laws such as this, the devil is always in the details. Sounds good on TV and then you read the details, in writing. ....

One thing that I do like about it's media presentation, is that it addresses the problems in the individual as opposed to inanimate objects like Guns and Bullets. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 3, 2014, 02:38 PM   #11
Uncle Buck

(said in a thuggish voice....)
Thug #1: You wanna go rob your neighbors place?

Thug#2: No, he has guns

Thug#1: No problem, we just call the police, claim that he threatened us with violence and they take away his guns...

Unlikely but possible. Criminals are always looking for the newest, bestest next thing to help them in their endeavors.

Then there is the person who is generally threatened and feels the need for some kind of intervention on his or her behalf.

Maybe a better solution would be if the person actually felt that threatened, the police should be required to loan the concerned individual a firearm until they no longer feel threatened.