The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1
kstockfo

winchester model 12 100 year anniversary

hey all,
i love model 12's, and i got to thinking about 2012 being the 100 year anniversary. i called winchester/browning customer service to see if anything was planned, and the rep spoke with someone else that is head of the "account" (whichever account that would be... shotguns, miroku, historical guns, ???) and that person said it had been discussed but not approved.

i think if enough people were to bombard them with requests, perhaps they would change their mind. after all, they brought them back in the 90's with the japanese model 12's, so why not bring 'em back for another year or two?! i personally would prefer an american made product, but i'll take what i can get. and while you're making the call, perhaps suggest a 16 gauge on the correct sized frame, since that would be my choice!

the number is 800-333-3288.

thanks,
kstockfo
Old April 8, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
BigJimP

or just buy a BPS ....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...unter-firearms

Just kidding .... ....some of the old model 12 guys will be by to smack me later ...
Old April 8, 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
lamarw

You are smacked. I know you were kidding.

The 1912 was a great gun and got better in 1914 when they started producing them in 12 gauge.

My single gun serial number dates it at 1916. Just a tad older than I am. LOL
Old April 8, 2011, 09:51 PM   #4
lamarw

P.S. - My Browning A-5 is dated 1930, and it is also just a tad older than I am.

I need a model 1947 something or another.

Any suggestions???
Old May 3, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
RedsetterMan

Model 12's

It would be nice to see who ever hold the trademark to do a recognition of the Winchester made Model 12's.
I'm a Model 12 man, have a complete set including the model 42. The gun itself was a true piece of artwork in machining and sturdy is an understatement. The only negative feature of the model 12 is they are not a wet weather gun. Because of their design (many, many parts), they are a bitch to tear down, wipe clean and reassemble. You had better know what you are doing. Me, I was raised on my dad's lap from the age of 5 learning how. What I did not learn from him, I found out on my own.
My dads 12ga had a S/n of 186,xxx (1919 I believe). I saw him cut a pheasant in half with his own molded ball load for deer (couldn't pass up a bird on the wing), shot a pigeon out of the sky (with a bunny load) so far up it looked like a chimney sweep; knocked down a Canada goose for christmas dinner, shot a deer standing head on at 125 yds with one of his ball loads, and put many a rabbit and squirrel on the Sunday dinner table. That gun is still in the family somewhere out in IL at a second cousin's.
Sure would be nice but I think that people would want to roll in the Browning reissues of the 90's which are far from the same quality of the originals. The Winchester craftsmen took their work seriously and to heart. Sorry, that kind of dedication is not present in todays world of manufacturing. Lets remember and pay tribute to the one truly great edition of the Winchester Model 12 and let the cheap copies create their own legacy.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:56 PM   #6
30-30remchester

BIGJIM is one disturbed individual , Absolutely nothing wrong with his choice but to have it mentioned in the same thread as the model 12, is just wrong. I dont think they will ever re-introduce the model 12, as they are far to expensive to build, and underappreciated by the "plastic and potmetal boys". There is over 2 million out in the world, so about anything you want is available. An odd side note, one of our local gun stores that sell alot of older guns, says he hates Browning A-5's and model 12's. Both the very top of the heap, but he claims he just cant sell them. He had 3 A-5's in good condition and couldnt get $300 apiece for them. He also has a 1929 vintage model 12 with 60% finish and he has had a $250 price tag on it for over a year and no intrest. This proves the point I made earlier. Even though these are SUPERB hand built and machined classics, they cant get the price of one of the newer guns with questionable design, construction and materials. So us conisoiurs of classics arms should stay mutt on the subject and simply buy every nice model 12 that comes our way at a less than realistics price.