The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
DocSouth

Mossberg Cruiser

I've recently found a Mossberg Cruiser brand-new, cleaned and ready to rock for
388 out the door including tax.

I was wondering if this is a decent deal or if I can "build" an equivalent for cheaper.

Also, If I want to practice shooting my gun (which I do) I would think the pistol grip would look a little ridiculous out at the trap range.

So I'd probably need to spring for a traditional stock as well.

For HD I recognize that this is a nice piece, but is it cheaper for me to simply buy a standard Mossy for 227 and then build it up to Cruiser status? My only reason for doing that would be to have a stock for taking it to the range to practice.

Thanks so much!
Old January 25, 2010, 05:38 PM   #2
alaskaman94

build it yourself... i have one for bear defense but i can guarantee you the novelty wears off... it will spend much more time with the stock on it than the pistolgrip....btw i paid 175 for my cruiser with about 10 rounds through it.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:54 PM   #3
guns and more

I have a Mossberg cruiser that I paid $329 for.

I like the gun a lot. I'd look closer to $300.
Old January 26, 2010, 02:00 AM   #4
bamaranger

assemble one

Mossberg pumps are everywhere. There probably isn't a pawn shop in the country that doesn't have at least one on the used gun rack. Many are beaters cosmetically, but will run well enough.

I saw a used 2.75" one on sale for $150 locally, not that long ago.

Buy the bbl first. Then you have an instant HD/SD gun. Get the pistol grip next, then you have your "cruiser". Actually I'm a bigger fan of a folding stock, particularly some type of top folder. Portable and storeable as a cruiser, useable as a full stock.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:54 AM   #5
DocSouth

THe big appeal for me was the 7+1 magazine.

The regular 500's I've seen have much smaller capacity. Which, I know everyone says you don't need, but dang it sounds nice.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:31 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

"Much Smaller"... 5+1 is "much smaller"?
Also you will be severely limited in barrel options should you realize the cruiser limited to HD is boring to most.

The standard 500 with 28 inch barrel and accu-choke threads with a later purchased 18 inch barrel is plenty of gun... you can buy the 28 inch barrel equipped 500 for a tick over $200 and sell your barrel for 75 and buy an 18-20 inch for a hundred.

BTW, make sure you get a REAL rear stock with it... them Toys R Us PGO's make for a lame setup for most every situation...
Brent
Old January 26, 2010, 09:52 AM   #7
DocSouth

Quote:
"Much Smaller"... 5+1 is "much smaller"?
Also you will be severely limited in barrel options should you realize the cruiser limited to HD is boring to most.

The standard 500 with 28 inch barrel and accu-choke threads with a later purchased 18 inch barrel is plenty of gun... you can buy the 28 inch barrel equipped 500 for a tick over $200 and sell your barrel for 75 and buy an 18-20 inch for a hundred.

BTW, make sure you get a REAL rear stock with it... them Toys R Us PGO's make for a lame setup for most every situation...
Brent
Well when you put it like that...
I talked it over with my wife last night, and while it seems like a cool "toy" it's not what I want for a primary shotgun.
This just supports and confirms it.
And the Mossberg is 227 at Wal-Mart, you know your guns Hogs.

(I apologize about the magazine capacity comment, I'm a bit new to all this, and I got the BPS and the 500 mixed up there. It's been a heck of a week learning all this stuff )

P.S. What is a "PGO" ?
Old January 26, 2010, 09:56 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

PGO= Pistol Grip Only...

Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 06:50 PM   #9
MagnumWill

388 sounds a little steep, I picked up my 590 for $349+tax at Big 5 awhile back. They usually sell a 500 for about $299, and then put whatever you desire on it. I picked up the pistol grip on Ebay (mossberg one) for 5.99 plus shipping. and yes hogdogs, all it does is sit in my toolbox
Old January 27, 2010, 07:01 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
you know your guns Hogs.
Naw, I just drool on the glass of the gun case routinely and try to remember the prices (sort of) of guns I suggest when folks post such questions... I don't deserve much credit for "KNOWIN'" much.

Quote:
yes hogdogs, all it does is sit in my toolbox
I still have my Mossberg PGO Dunno why!!! It resides in the dark dank chemical fume riddled gun tool box...
Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 07:27 PM   #11
DanimalFL

I put a stock on my cruiser and its an awesome bedside gun. Its cheap enough that I don't worry about putting it in the safe and it's always ready to rock & roll. When I first got it I thought the pistol grip was cool, until I shot it with some buckshot then I threw that damn pistol grip in storage.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:59 PM   #12
bigghoss

I have a mossberg security (holds 8 with regular buttstock) I got that sucker at big 5 6 yeas ago for $220. my dad got a 500 combo (regular tube with 28" and 18" barrels) for a bit over $200 about 2 or 3 years ago. I would search for one sub $300