The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1
bigautomatic

need help identifying shotgun

A friend of mine has offered to give me an O/U shotgun as partial payment of some money that I loaned him a while back. The problem is, that I'm not sure of the manufacture. He was told that the gun is a Huglu, but neither of us has enough experience to be sure. I know pics would help, and maybe I can get some posted tomorrow. For a verbal description, the barrel is marked "Sporting Products LLC, Palm Beach Fl." on the left side. The right side of the top barrel is marked "Classic Game". The barrels are a sort of black oxide finish but look brand new. Reciever is silver with floral type engraving.The wood is very nice. Now for the wierd part, the rubber buttpad is marked Winchester and it fits the stock perfectly. So is this indeed a Huglu with a mixmatched buttpad, or something else? My guess is that someone has changed the pad for better fit or something. Any help is appreciated.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:34 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

?

I think Hugulu is made in Turkey, but the other markings and the butt plate seem to indicate it was made of various pieces.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3
SDC

The best thing to do is take the barrels off and post a picture showing the prrofmarks and other markings on the hidden parts of the receiver and barrels; if it's a Huglu, it will be easy to tell from the proofs.
Old January 24, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
bigautomatic

Both barrels share the same markings.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/...3/guns/051.jpg
Old January 24, 2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Doyle

That Fl company is the importer. Sounds like a typical mass-produced Turkish import. I personally wouldn't give more than about $200 for that gun. You can do MUCH better.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:29 PM   #6
bigautomatic

Doyle- I too am pretty sure that it is a fairly cheap Turkish shotgun. I probably should have been more clear that the value doesn't really concern me as much as it does my friend, I have been eyeballing some other guns for myself. I already plan to give him the gun back as a gift after the dept is paid, but he doesn't know that. I really just want to know who actually made the gun. I can get more pics if that will help me with identificaton.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:26 PM   #7
bigautomatic

Well, I really couldn't find any more info on the gun. I went and picked it up from my buddy this afternoon, for an agreement of $250 taken off of the money that I loaned him. As I said before, I will likely gift the gun back to him when he pays off the rest of the dept. Who knows, it may turn out to be a decent shotgun for him. I sure hope so. Thanks for the responses.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:36 AM   #8
oneounceload

The gun has 3" chambers proofed for steel shot. SOMEWHERE on the gun should be the country of origin.

Somewhere on the net is a site that shows all the proof marks, what they mean, and what dates they were used.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:48 PM   #9
bigautomatic

oneounceload-- Thanks. I looked on the inside of the reciever, which is pretty rough, and could only see one mark but it looks as though it were stamped before fitting. Can't make it out. I'll look some more but I don't see a country of origin anywhere. Would it be spelled out, or identified by a stamp/symbol? Sorry for all the questions, but I am quite ignorant when it comes to shotguns.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:57 PM   #10
oneounceload

As I said, SOMEWHERE it should say made in "XXX", whatever the country is. I wish I had bookmarked the proofs site - it's out there.

If no one comes on here with that info - try shotgunworld.com or doublegunshop.com
Old January 26, 2010, 10:42 PM   #11
bigautomatic

I'll tear it down further and see what I can find as far as markings, and maybe someone at the links you posted can help also. Thanks again.