The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2010, 08:52 PM   #1
b12alex

870 poly choke

Is it worth getting a poly choke/ adjustable choke for a new 870
Old January 22, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Not when screw-in choke tubes are available, IMHO.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 22, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Lee is so very right. The poly choke will actually lower the value of the shotgun. If you check the auction sites you will find guns with poly chokes sell for less than ones that have the screw in tubes.

Added thought when a poly choke is installed they will bend the barrel to compensate for the height of the polly choke.
Old January 22, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
zippy13

Installing a poly-choke would be a technological step backwards. Screw-in were developed to improve the performance (better patterns) of poly-chokes. Remember, the poly-choke design pre-dates the one-piece plastic shot cup and wad. Shot shells have made a quantum leap since the original poly-choke days.

If you want old tech with better performance than a poly-choke, consider a cutts compensator with a selection of fixed chokes. It was the progenitor of modern screw-ins. Folks like Jess Briley reasoned that they could omit the cutts choke holder and carefully fit chokes to go directly in the barrel end. For some time, screw-in chokes were an expensive custom installed option. Now their application is wide spread. Why would you even consider a poly-choke on a gun that has factory screw-ins available?

The only advantage I can see to a poly-choke is for an older low-value gun that you want a selection of different chokes; but, you don't want to invest in having screw-ins installed.
Old January 23, 2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Grandpatime

um they make a screw in poly choke no ****
Old January 23, 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
ebutler462

The Poly II has been available for several years. It is a screw-in that can easily be unscrewed if you ever wanted to. I'll leave mine in. It beats a pocketful of choke tubes any day for me.

I've been using PolyChokes over 50 years. Lord, deliver me from choke tubes.