The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
bobhwry

Best tactical shotgun??

I'm looking for one for home defense but there are so many I'm confused. Auto or pump?? What barrel length?? Which one has the most capacity?
Old September 17, 2006, 07:03 PM   #2
DonR101395

An AR15

Just kidding, you really can't go wrong with a Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or 590. If you get the 500 spend the $6 for the metal safety button. The plastic one is really the only weakness on the 500. The 590 comes with a metal one, but is also about twice as much in price.
Old September 17, 2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any of the US made Big Four will do. The Winchester 1300, Ithaca 37, Mossberg 500/590 and Remington's legendary 870 will all do the job.

The weak link is NOT the shotgun. Get any of the above, BA/UU/R until it feels like a body part and not a tool.

Voila! You've got a great tactical shotgun.....
Old September 17, 2006, 09:05 PM   #4
wtc

I've got a Benelli M1 with the pistol grip and 18.5" barrel. Love it, and have had no issues with reliability other than with low-recoil Federal loads. I also take it out for skeet/trap, and it does just fine out there too. Patterns are surprisingly tight with the modified cylinder.
Still not too sure about the pistol grip for recreational use (does beat up the hand and wrist if not careful), but I'm pretty sure it would help with weapon retention if push ever came to shove.
Old September 18, 2006, 03:31 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

bob,

There is no "best" shotgun. There are, however, lots of shotguns that are good enough, as long as the SHOOTER is good enough.

Pumps are less expensive to buy in many cases and less mechanically complex in most cases. Pumps and good clean semi's with good ammo are about equal in reliability on a statistical basis. You choose.

Any barrel length 18- 24" or so should work OK. I like 'em at 18" when I have a choice, some like longer barrels. Sights or beads, vent ribs or plain, a matter of choice. Use what you need/like.

Lots of folks make a big honkin deal over magazine capacity. Learning to hit what you shoot at, and learning appropriate tactics for home defense, is more important IMHO than having 28 rounds of slugs and buckshot on/in the gun. House guns here have normal 4-round (Remington 870) magazines, loaded with 3 rounds of buckshot, and 4-shot Sidesaddles with slugs. Magazine extensions make shotguns muzzle heavy and sluggish for a lot of people, shotguns are supposed to be well- balanced and quick pointing.

A trained and practiced shooter is the most important part of the equation, software trumps hardware in this case.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc
Old September 18, 2006, 09:02 AM   #6
liliysdad

For me, the perfect shotgun is the one I have.

Currently, my kit consists of an 870 Wingmaster Riot Modded 18" in the following ways

*Remington +2 tube and clamp
*Vang Big head safety
*Mossberg Ghost Ring Sights
*Speedfeed 1 buttstock shortend to 12.5"LOP
*Hogue overmolded fore end
*TacStar 6x sidesaddle
*Streamlight light mount
*Streamlight Scorpion light
*OD Green Duracoat
*Wilson Combat Hi-Viz follower
Old September 18, 2006, 09:53 AM   #7
FS2K

Like Lee said, there is no "BEST"

But there is such a thing as BEST FOR YOU. Only you can decide that.

I like Pump Action because they do have an edge over Semi-Auto's as far as their reliability is concerned. 18" barrels are plenty enough for self defense, and the shorter a gun is the easier it is to manuver in confined areas. Capacity is not such a big issue for home protection. Matters of course would be different if you were a Law Enforcement Officer though. For home 4-6 rounds is plenty and since most pump action shotguns already come with that sort of capacity you are good with whatever you choose. I have always preferred Remington 870's. I have also owned a Mossberg 500, but have gone back to the 870 since.

The rest is up to you. While pistol grips are readily available, a shoulder stock will offer you more control, and since the gun won't be carried folding stocks are more for looks than function in a home defense gun.

**On a side note** While some people feel that a flashlight is a tactical liability (making you very visable to the bad guy) I feel a flashlight is the accessory that makes the most sense on a home shotgun. After all, you will probably need to use the weapon in dark conditions and it is ery important to be able to identify your targets.

What you as a home owner need to do is figure out if a shotgun is an asset or a liability for YOUR home. Home Invasions by armed badguys isn't as common as some people make it out to be, but they do happen. You need to weigh out the pro's and con's before commiting to have a shotgun as home defense. Bad guys do sometimes assault people with their own weapons if the chance arises. Train hard until you know your weapon inside and out & take the nessesary precautions so it can't be easily turned on you and you will be set. Good luck.
Old September 18, 2006, 03:20 PM   #8
kkb

FWIW I went with an 870 Marine Magnum. (posted some ammo reviews for it in the sticky at the top of this forum)
Old September 18, 2006, 10:31 PM   #9
Keegster

well you asked for tactical and nothing gets more tactical than the FN Herstel TPS..
Old September 18, 2006, 11:16 PM   #10
STAGE 2

Quote:
If you get the 500 spend the $6 for the metal safety button. The plastic one is really the only weakness on the 500.
Don, can you plese elaborate? Also, where can I get one. The mossberg website is less than helpful.
Old September 19, 2006, 09:42 AM   #11
oletymer

Lee Lapin, your post is the best I have seen on this site in a long time. Most posters have watched too many movies and not enough time learning about guns.
Old September 19, 2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Lee Lapin

oletymer,

Thank you, Sir. I have had the benefit of some good teaching and try to pass it along, as was done for me.

lpl/nc
Old September 20, 2006, 12:59 AM   #13
DonR101395

Quote:
Quote:
If you get the 500 spend the $6 for the metal safety button. The plastic one is really the only weakness on the 500.

Don, can you plese elaborate? Also, where can I get one. The mossberg website is less than helpful.
The plastic safety has a tendency of cracking around the screw and splitting in half. I've got three 500's and the first two safety buttons broke in the first six months with alot of use. That is the only weakness I've found in the 500.
They went up in price since the last one I bought, but are worth it. You may be able to find it at your local shop also.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...+SAFETY+BUTTON
Old September 20, 2006, 04:51 AM   #14
Tim Whittaker

I have a Rem 870 (pump) and a Benelli M1S90 (auto), both are great shotguns. I do practice alot with them. Both guns hold 6. If you want more capacity, the Mossberg 590 with the 20" barrel holds 8 or 9. Be advised, some, like me, find the 590 to be a little nose heavy. If I could only have one, I'd pick the Rem. 870.
Old September 20, 2006, 04:42 PM   #15
KYGlock

Quote:

Quote:

The plastic safety has a tendency of cracking around the screw and splitting in half. I've got three 500's and the first two safety buttons broke in the first six months with alot of use. That is the only weakness I've found in the 500.
They went up in price since the last one I bought, but are worth it. You may be able to find it at your local shop also.

Bob,
The Mossberg website has the 590A1 listed as model 51663. The description says heavy barrel and metal trigger guard. It has the metal safety button and ghost rings installed from the factory as well. The prices I've seen vary, but expect around $400 retail.

Kevin
This model
Old September 22, 2006, 09:17 PM   #16
gordo b.

Somethings you don't see every day!

Well I'll just touch the high points. Disclaimer: the Folding Remington stock is only for transport in a vehicle! I would normally never use the gun with it folded and would not shoot it for long stings! . I am embarking on a project to shorten a Rem folder down 2" and put a gell pad and cheek rest on one. It will be a fun TIG project!

Any way the folder is my old 60's Wingmaster Magnum that was "Robarized" in 1987- early stuff! It is VERY slick with around 10,000 shells thru it since Robbie Barkkmann did it. It is now the stand by gun being replaced by the 1989 Police Magnum for classes since last year. The Police Magnum has my new fat profile 18" RS Imp. Cylinder barrel with AO nite sites.It has a 12" Houge stock with a 3/4 pad(thats an 1 3/4" of pads!!!) which is perfect for me and the pad gives me a nice cheek rest. The foreend is a "handicap device" from the 80's which allows one to whack the heck out of it if something sticks. Also provides a positive return!The light on the Police gun is a Surefire KL-5 in Vltor mounts. I like being able to take the light off during the day training! The single point sling on a GG&G adapter is a Specter MOUT, the folding gun is a Wilderness sling, notice how it could foul the pump ect. , which is why I like a single point. The side saddle on the folding stock gun is my own modifacation. The police gun has a Vang safety and the Robar has a Williams big head.
Because of the single point sling the gun when moving is flopping around or requiring a hand to hold it to body; that there is a Mad Dog labs experimental 870 belt clip. You just slide gun straight into the cross draw position 'holster' and it snaps into the kydex so it doesn't flop - NO hands reguired to hold gun now! And holds the 18" gun just high enough so you can kneel (at target butts!) with out hitting the barrel on the ground and stock on the gun is below your vision!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870 HD0010.JPG (160.5 KB, 5246 views)
File Type: jpg 870 HD0001.JPG (175.7 KB, 4580 views)
File Type: jpg 870 HD0002.JPG (185.9 KB, 3994 views)
Old September 23, 2006, 12:38 AM   #17
gordo b.

But this is what rests next to my bed: Benelli Nova Tactical. Night sights, stock machined down to 12 3/4" with Limbsaver, trigger smoothed down to 5 pound (from 14!). Custom big safety,Tactical Tailor single point sling,Lazer/120 lamp on factory mount,Sidesaddle. It is exceptionally accurate with slugs, the action is not as slick or short as an 870, but what the hay, no maintence required! It has good pucker factor, I can switch loads to shoot varmints (only thing I've shot so far) real easy with the handy mag cut off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova 060001.JPG (236.1 KB, 3715 views)
Old September 23, 2006, 05:14 AM   #18
Para Bellum

short double-barrel coach gun, like eg: Baikal IZH-43 in 12/70

short double-barrel coach gun, like eg: Baikal IZH-43 in 12/70:

Why: You can leave it loaded for years and all you have to do when you need it is cock the hammers. No Semi-Auto or Pump etc is as fast as a double barrel on the first follow-up. It can't jam, you can't short-cycle (stress!).

If two 12ga loads didn't end it, your BGs are at hand-to-hand range already and you will be happy that you don't have to wrestle over a loaded longun but can give it to them while moving on at CQB with your handgun. Just my 2c.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:54 PM   #19
nagzt

buyer beware

i have to say mossberg is my pick because of reliability. i have owned rem 870 super mag xcs 12 ga and good luck finding one that won't jam six times i returned it untill i found a good one and after that ordeal i gave the gun away forever ridding myself of reminghton arms. actions speak louder than words
Old February 15, 2010, 12:39 AM   #20
GunsAreGood

Nagzt. Im sorry to hear about your experience with your Remington. I own Two Remington 870's and have never had one problem. I would recommend them to anybody, plus racking the slide on a pump is the universal sound for get out. I don't care where your from or what language you speak you know what it means.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:15 AM   #21
jmortimer

FN SLP
Old February 15, 2010, 02:30 AM   #22
comn-cents

I am picking up an 870 in 20gu in the next day or so. Comes from the factory with a 7 round tube. I want to do a couple of upgrades, like a side saddle maybe better sights. Any other suggestions for upgrades from anyone? Thanks hope I didn't hijax your thread.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:18 AM   #23
zombieslayer

Be careful when ordering or buying- all the "590" mossbergs at my local gunshops have plastic triggerguards and safeties.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:47 PM   #24
colostomyclown

so what? so do 870 expresses.

so do most shotguns these days.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:09 PM   #25
Technosavant

The trigger guard on a shotgun is not a stressed member. Plastic will work fine for it.

I echo what Lee and Dave said- it isn't so much the gun itself but how you employ it. Shooting some clays with the thing will help you learn the shotgun and provide experience with how to hit with it.

As for what gun, all I'll really add is that I have two "tactical" shotguns- a Saiga 12 with the full pistol grip conversion (one of the most evil looking shotguns you'll see) and a 870 Tactical with the Knoxx SpecOps stock. The Saiga can misfeed and otherwise have issues. The 870 runs 100% if I do my part- the only failures it's ever had have been related to my own failure to stroke it fully when shooting light game loads.