The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 03:01 PM   #1
hootey

Reloading supplies sold out?

Live in the greater northwest and all our stores are sold out of almost everything(even wally world). Local stores all say they have everything on order but, no one seems to know when anything will be recieved. All the online sources are back logged six weeks or so. Is it this bad everywhere?
Old January 29, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
L_Killkenny

Ahhh duh, just wake up from a long nap?

Yes, things are that bad all over. Not unexpectedly I might add.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Going on three months or so now, ever since an early date in November
Old January 29, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4
rajbcpa

my local GS have not had SPP since August 2012!

Internet cites are out too..... very bad now.

start another hobbie for a year or so.... hopefully the pols will still let you do this when suppliers have inventory once again...

i live in ny and we will need background checks for this stuff soon.... no internet sales of ammo either....UHG!
Old January 29, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
jib

Order from powder mountain or another big distributor and wait until they can fill the order. If you don't have stock, the supplies are really thin up here right now.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:29 PM   #6
g.willikers

There's always archery, muzzle loaders and airguns.
Knife and tomahawk throwing, too.
If you know someone old enough, ask them what it was like during WW2.
There was just about nothing for civilians.
Maybe a tube of bbs for the Daisy or a dusty old box of ammo from the backroom.
We've had it pretty good mostly.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7
TheNatureBoy

I searched high and low to find some .308 Winchester brass. Had to settle for 100 fire formed (used) cases. Aside from the .308 cases I'm in good shape. Saw this shortage coming as soon as the last one ended.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:45 PM   #8
spacecoast

Get yourself on the email notifications for when it comes in. I picked up 7K primers from Natchez last week that way.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:15 PM   #9
hodaka

MidSouth is showing September for some of their primer deliveries. I hope they are wrong or only diverting orders.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Goatwhiskers

What scares is the reports I've been hearing from all over the country of the rank amateurs going into stores and buying reloading equipment. That is, everything except LOADING MANUALS! They're apparently getting their info off the internet and u-tube. Sure don't want to be next to one of those guys at the range. Goat
Old January 29, 2013, 05:36 PM   #11
serf 'rett

Quote:
MidSouth is showing September for some of their primer deliveries.
2013 or 2014?

Yep! It's that bad everywhere.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:26 PM   #12
CWKahrFan

Few days ago I took a long drive back in the hills to a remote Mom&Pop gunstore and snagged their last can of Power Pistol... It felt kinda like Christmas... You cannot find ANY .22 rimfires around here.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
hooligan1

Heheheh g.willikers, hehehe I just thought about pulling out my old E-tool and putting a razor edge on that dude..
Goatwiskers your frightfully right about them greenhorns not buying manuals, in the 20 min time period I was at Bass-Pro, looking for bullets, there was two young men filling a cart with presses and handtools and maybe four sets of dies,( I couldnt tell what type of dies), I said to one of them," what you fellas loading" one said quietly " were not sure yet, can't find any primers", I asked then " which manuals do you fellas like best?" and the other one chimed in " we don't use manuals they're too confusing" and I quote.
I left and still I pray I'm no where near the place they test those loads!!
Old January 29, 2013, 07:27 PM   #14
hootey

Sounds like a good time to take up tennis or golf, maybe fly fishing...
Old January 29, 2013, 07:31 PM   #15
FloridaGuy

Here in West Central Florida there does not seem to be a shortage of Reloading supplies as of yet. My LGS shelves are full of reloading supplies including presses. I also have a local store that specializes in reloading and he is fully stocked with no shortages in component. He also has all equipment needed to start reloading. I found this place by just driving around he carries all the major brands in presses. Plus he sells his reloads to the public.

This past weekend I picked up 3500 small pistol primers and Monday I picked up 3500 large pistol primers. I will be buying several thousand primers every week when I go to the range. They will only allow you to purchase 6000 primers a day. I also picked up several 1000 .38 125gr jacketed bullets and several 1000 .45cal 200gr bullets. I need to pick up some 9mm bullets and some .44 bullets then I will be set for awhile. Because I have several 1000's of rounds of brass saved up.

When I get paid next week I will probably go to the reloading store and finish stocking up on supplies before we see any shortages here.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:40 PM   #16
gundog5

Hey, Florida Guy, when you are done stocking up would you ask if they do mail order or have a web page just asking
Old January 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #17
chiefr

I have been reloading for many years. Unlike many other hobbys I enjoy, reloading is greatly affected by politics.

IE;The 1993 inauguration, the 2009 and now the 2013 inaugurations. All have devastated the supply chain. The 2013 is by far the worse I have seen. My advice for anyone who enjoys this hobby is to hoard. If the current buying panic is like the rest, it will take at least 6 months before things return to normal.

Last edited by chiefr; January 29, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:06 PM   #18
spacecoast

Quote:
I asked then " which manuals do you fellas like best?" and the other one chimed in " we don't use manuals they're too confusing" and I quote.
Hey guys, I have to tell you... I started reloading over 3 years ago, have reloaded (with a hand press) over 17,000 rounds in .38 spc, .357 mag, 9mm, .380 ACP, .45 ACP, .44 spc and .44 mag and I own ZERO manuals. So far (knock on wood) no errors and only one high primer that temporarily locked up a revolver. I keep good records on my computer, a small database of info gleaned at various web sites that is cross-checked against other sources to make sure I don't just take someone's word on a "good load". I would put the safety of my reloads up against ANYONE'S.

Good (and timely) information is available online before it gets into the manuals. Any questions can be posed here and several have been very generous in offering advice.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
hhamade

Glad to hear that you have been so blessed Space, But I think I would rather study as much as I can before attempting something that could cost me limb or life. Not knocking what you did at all, I am actually impressed by it. But like I said, its not my cup of tea to do things that way.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:46 PM   #20
xnaerughiazk

I'm with spacecoast, I started with a lee loader both pistol and shotgun 45 years ago and reloaded plenty of rounds without a manual. Finally bought a manual after 5 years of pounding shells out with hammer, that after I brought a press and dies.

I imagine if you want to eke out that last 50 to 100 fps you might need a manual with some new powder, but if you go with a starting load off a IMR website or pamphlet, you aren't going to get yourself in trouble.

Did I need to take a driver's ed course to learn to drive a car? I might want to get instructions if I'm going to race one however.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Icedragon

I am new to reloading and trying to find supplies has been very hard. I did find somethings. 1# of CFE 223, 100 bullets, 500 primers, and 100 rounds of OFB in .308. I was hoping to pick up a Lee deluxe die kit (.308 Win) BUT they were sold out so was everyone that I have checked.

p.s. If anyone finds somewhere that has them in stock let me know plz & thank you.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:21 PM   #22
stu925

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
my local GS have not had SPP since August 2012!

Internet cites are out too..... very bad now.

start another hobbie for a year or so.... hopefully the pols will still let you do this when suppliers have inventory once again...

i live in ny and we will need background checks for this stuff soon.... no internet sales of ammo either....UHG!
According to the SAFE law hotline, the new law does NOT affect reloaders and we can continue to order components just as we always have. Loaded ammunition sales on the other hand must be completed in person and a background check must be done and the sale reported to the State Police. If the law doesn't get struck down by the courts that is. Call 1(855)Law-Guns to verify the info for yourself.

Back on topic, I've got a powder order in with Powder Valley (placed 1/22) and it won't ship until 2/22. As of yesterday the were processing orders from 1/7. Had to order H335 in 1lb cans, no 8lb jugs but at least I was able to get an order in. Need to check my primer stash and see what I've got left, probably no where near enough, oh well I'll get some eventually.

Stu
Old January 29, 2013, 09:48 PM   #23
pnolans

g.willikers,

You been reading my mail????

I haven't played with my bb guns yet, but the archery, muzzleloaders, and throwing knives and hawks.... right there with you. In fact, I was even thinking of getting a sword... and find someone to practice with.

I just took up muzzleloading. probably going to go for a flintlock next, and learn to cast my own balls (boy, that sounded weird).

But yeah, I love archery. Seems like a good time to get even better at it.
I have enough 270 win ammo to go deer hunting this coming year, and enough supplies to reload another 200 or so.

I can NOT find Hornady 35540, 9mm bullets. If I could, I'd feel a lot better. Being real stingy shooting 9mm right now.

Pat

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Colorado308shooter

Back on Jan 16th, I scored 8 lbs of IMR-8208 XBR to load .223 with. The .223 is the only caliber I was running low on powder.

I watched Midsouth shooters supply website everyday for a month, waiting to snag an 8 lb keg of powder. Well lo and behold one night, it was in stock. It took me about 1 minute to order it.....went out of stock 30 minutes after I placed my order. Impeccable timing.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:27 AM   #25
Colorado Redneck

Natchez

Go to the Natchez site:
http://www.natchezss.com/category.cf...362&catLevel=2

and look at the various components you want. There is a little icon that looks like an envelope. Click on that, and follow the directions. Then you will get an email notifying you when that item is in stock. I did that and will get a few pounds of powder in two days. Had to wait about 3 weeks for that to happen, but the point is, they will tell you when you can place an order.

This shortage is darned annoying. Like others, I saw it coming when suddenly Remington small pistol primers were out of stock at our local Sportsmans. Went online and Midway and others were either low stock or out of stock. Went back to gun shop and bought a couple thousand Federal primers. Hope I don't run out before things loosen up. When supplies do get back on the shelf, I am going to build up a "stockpile" of stuff so this won't catch me again. Life is short, and the less time I spend being ****** the better.