The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1
bigwrench

remington 10a

Got a remington 10a as a deposit to hold a boat I had for sale while buyer obtained $. When he said remington pump as deposit I figured 870 but turns out its an old bottom eject stamped remington arms 10a. Any one familiar with this gun as to quality or value? Has little blueing and stock fairly rough but not terrible overall, unless this gun is not as old as I think it might be. Any way I took the gun as deposit simply because I didn't have one like it, and now I'm wondering wht I have?!

Last edited by bigwrench; January 18, 2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old January 18, 2010, 01:28 AM   #2
hickstick_10

If it works is worth a few hundred.

They stopped making them in the 1929.

I have one myself that I traded for a case of corona to a man whos wife wanted guns out of the house.

Anyways, I say when it works because those guns are a frail reed in particular the ejector spring, which is a skinny little flat spring. The cam surfaces of the actuating bars are complex as hell to make the ejector rotate and flick that shell out just in time. Also a damn PITA to take apart and reassemble. The action bar really likes to wear on the receiver as well.

It may have some worth if it dont function properly, for parts.

I like mine, its pretty neat to watch all the parts work together, and shes all machined like they used to make em. Shoots pretty much like any run of the mill pump, maybe a bit smoother. The receiver sure has nice clean lines to it.

While they're not worth alot, I never seem to see em anywhere, you always see ithacas as far as bottom ejects go. Obviously the guns a 2 3/4 inch spitter.

Hope he comes back for that gun, there kinda a PITA and unless its the WW1 trench gun model, not really worth much (as far as I've seen) useful for much except a closet protector.

Remington discontinued that gun for good reason!!!

Alot of guns are old......doesn't necesarily mean its valuable (goes with most things)

Last edited by hickstick_10; January 18, 2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:22 AM   #3
dropthehammer

Pretty popular with the card/turkey shoot crowd. I have seen more than one Model 10 slam fire when being loaded. I think they are very cool and I have a few, but I prefer looking at mine over shooting them, they just scare me.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4
bigwrench

Thanks! for the input guys. I loaded and fired this gun just to see it work than cleaned and oiled it and put it in the cabinet. Maybe I'll take out and look at it once in a while but no other plans for it.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
sparx22

Hi my first post.

I have my Dad's 10A and it has always been a little hard to pump, vs. a Winchester model 12 or a Remington 870. For years I have always wanted to know if that is nature of the beast or if it is flawed.

The gun works fine and and shoots well. Just this pumping issue.

Thanks up front for info.
sparx22
Old January 18, 2010, 11:12 PM   #6
bigwrench

Mine is pretty smooth, at least for the three rounds I put threw it. But this gun looks like it has had a lot use. Runs as smooth as any of my 870's and doesnt make that clank clank noise like two beer bottles bumping together.(the thing I hate about 870's is the sound the action makes)
Old January 20, 2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There were some 10s around when I was young, about the time Mastodon went on the endangered list.

Word then was they were fragile and complicated. Nothing I've seen since disputes that.

One point of trouble was the shell carrier, known as the "Flapper". It goes off time or something.

Both the model 31 Remington and Winchester's legendary Model 12 were considered far superior as to function and longevity.

Current value is whatever you can get. Call it a $200 to $300 shotgun if in good and working condition.

HTH....
Old January 27, 2010, 05:37 PM   #8
madokie

if the action is rough, its just worn and there is nothing you can do about it,good smooth action it hasent been shot much.made in riot, trap, skeet, and presentation grades.designed byJ D Peterson same guy designed the peterson device of WW1 fame that turned the 1903 rifle into semi-auto gun.