The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2010, 07:10 PM   #1
kx592

NJ shotgun laws

I went to PA today with a buddy to look at slug guns and got into a chat about NJ laws for what kinda of shotgun you can buy. he said I cant have any pistol grips? I like the 870 green/synthetic slug gun with the pistolgrip stock, dont know how to describe it better than that...Also said NJ residents cannot buy a semi-auto tactical, ex 930spx. This true!?
Old January 23, 2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Sgt.Fathead

Certain shotguns, centerfires and rimfires fall under the NJ State Assault Weapons Ban. You can check with the NJSP about it but off-hand I know for a fact that the state does not allow pistol grips, folding stocks and barrels less than 18"in length.

I don't know anything about semi-auto scatterguns being on the list! If you call NJSP they will tell you what you need to know.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:31 PM   #3
kx592

Yea ill ask who ever I have to deal with when I get my FID finalized...I was shocked to hear that he couldnt sell a 930 to me because of NJ laws, thats so dumb
Old January 23, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
JerseyDrez

I dont know NJ gun laws 100%, but I would like correct Sgt. and state that NJ does allow pistol grips, only on pump shotguns though.

As stated on the NJSP Ch. 54 (assault weapons ban code), a semi-auto shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding 6 rounds, folding stock or pistol grip; or a semi auto rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15rds...is illegal.

Im not familiar with the 930, but I do know its a semi-auto shotgun. With a fixed stock and a mag capacity less than 6rds, it should be fine.

If you have any questions, I highly suggest you call the NJSP firearms bureau. Ive consulted them when I bought my Ak clone, and they were very helpful and told me to call back if I had any problems with it.

I am a Jersey resident by the way.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old January 24, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5
kx592

Thanks bud, good to know and glad to hear.
Old January 24, 2010, 04:46 PM   #6
JerseyDrez

Yeah no problem, glad I could help.

Any other questions, post them up and I/others will try to help out.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old January 25, 2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Sgt.Fathead

Going to have to double check my resource and see if I stand (or sit) corrected!
Old January 25, 2010, 01:03 PM   #8
JerseyDrez

I wasnt trying to disprespect you Sgt, just wanted to correct you thats all

If youd like to read up on the assault weapons ban and learn more about our state laws, check out the actual written document (PDF file provided). Ive dealt with many things on this law when I purchased a few firearms in the 'grey' area, so I have it bookmarked.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...itle13ch54.pdf

Most of the info that pertains to this topic, and definitions and laws about assault weapons can be found in the first 5 or so pages.

Old January 26, 2010, 11:30 AM   #9
xjmox14x

I was under the impression that in NJ pistol grips were legal, so long a they had a full stock butt to go along with it... i.e. the Knoxx stocks, or AR type stocks. I believe pistol grip only shotguns are illegal.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:45 AM   #10
JerseyDrez

That is incorrect.

PGO only pump shotguns are legal.
Pistol grip with full butt stock (knoxx, etc) pump shotguns are legal.

PGO semi-auto shotguns are illegal.
Pistol grip with full butt stock (knoxx etc) shotguns are....Im not sure?

Thats a question that Im going to call the NJSP with this afternoon.