The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Sailr_2

Reloading Sellier & Bellot shotshells

Anybody been reloading Sellier & Bellot 2 3/4 12 gauge field load?

I tried to find reloading data to no avail. I tried the WAA12 wads that I use for my Winchesters and the wad doesn't go down to cover the powder. Looks like it not a molded one piece but has a plastic insert that keeps the wad from going all the way down. Just an observation or guess. The wad petal tips are almost even with the top of the hull so crimping is impossible.

Does anyone have any information on what wad to use? I've been using SR7625, PB, Unique, 473AA (yep a can of powder a friend gave me. Guess they don't make it any more)

Anyway any help would be appreciated.
Sailr_2
Old January 25, 2010, 06:30 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't recommend trying to create your own loads / when there isn't any published data ..... and no, I don't know of any data for S&B hulls...

If you're already loading WIN hulls / why fuss with some odd ball hull ....

There are quite a few 12ga hulls you can load / but Remington STS are by far the strongest hull out there in 12ga ...... and Remington STS, or Nitro, or the Remington Gun Club all use the same recipe ..... I would just throw out the S&B hulls / hard telling what the internal specs on them are ...they might be tapered ...etc..

S&B isn't known for high quality shells - for shotguns, handguns, etc ... S&B is largely considered "throw away" ammo .... I pick up a lot of S&B brass at my local handgun range ( its cheap, so they sell a lot of it ) ....but I toss all of that out too.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Sailr_2

Thanks

BigJim
Thanks for your return. I kinda felt like S&B were not good quality, but you know how it is. Just can't stand to throw something away. I don't mess with unknown quantities hence my asking for info. I've been reloading for years and always adhere to rigid standards regarding pressure and muzzle velocity.

Oh well more junk for the land fill
Sailr_2
Old January 26, 2010, 11:51 AM   #4
BigJimP

I'm a big recycler - but some stuff is just junk .... sorry...