The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2010, 12:28 AM   #26
Big Bill

Quote:
I run my guns wet...
What exactly does this mean. Does it mean that you fill em with oil?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 14, 2010, 04:42 AM   #27
guitar1580

Thx for all of the info, folks. I finally just got the gun ... I'll soon get some pics and post a thread about it, but you guys were right. After watching the youtube vids, I easily took it apart, cleaned it, removed the wooden plug, lubed and reassembled it. It's almost 40 yrs old and it looked like it had never been taken apart before. Full of dried black oily grime, but no rust, and the bore is like new.

To the fellow who suggested cleaning the trigger assy. in gasoline, I would like to recommend using naptha (Ronsonol lighter fluid) for cleaning / soaking & cutting heavy grease, dirt etc. If you do happen to spill it on the wood finish, it will not do any damage. We use it for cleaning grime / glue off of guitar finishes, small instrument bridge parts, springs, screws etc. Works well without the lingering fumes, I use it in the house. I may do the trigger assy this weekend.... I suspect it's never been cleaned.

Josh P
Old January 14, 2010, 06:42 PM   #28
eagleno49

you are supposed to clean a shotgun?
Old January 14, 2010, 07:22 PM   #29
30-30remchester

I asked a master gunsmith (a former president of the custom gun makers guilt ) about cleaning guns. He stated as many guns were ruined each year by improper and excess cleaning as was ruined by neglect. I know a capitol sin is a jointed aluminum cleaning rod. I had a rifle at one time that had a piece of aluminum embedded into the rifling apparently from an aluminum rod. Kind of reminds me of a guy that changes the oil in his car after every trip to Walmart.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:51 PM   #30
dondavis3

Your supposed to clean guns?
Old January 14, 2010, 09:00 PM   #31
DasFriek

Quote:
What exactly does this mean. Does it mean that you fill em with oil?
Yeh,i change the oil every 100 shots and the filter every 300.

But really i mean every part is internally is wiped with oil and not wiped off and slides and rails are lightly coated in grease.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:11 PM   #32
StuntManMike

I used to completely field strip my 870s every time for cleaning but I got over that. They just don't get that dirty. Now I just clean the bores most of the time.
Old January 15, 2010, 01:24 PM   #33
P97

Quote:
I have been a trapshooter for 30 years and have shot a Winchester model 12 trap gun built in 1951. We shoot in snow and rain as we have a small club that only shoot a couple hours a week. I bought the gun used and I finally ran a cleaning rod down the barrel last week. It doesnt look like it was ever disassemble prior to me owning it. This gun has had regular use for 58 years and have never had a malfuntion or misfire.
You sound like me. I have guns that have never been disassembled and cleaned that are over 30 years old. They function and shoot as good as new ones, and better than some. My CCW gets the lint blown out of it once a week with a air hose and stripped and cleaned once a month. Thats the only one that I stake my life on, so I just shoot the others. I do spray Eezox in the works on them every 3 months and coat the outside of them to keep them from rusting.
Old January 15, 2010, 01:30 PM   #34
LoneStarWings

I clean the barrel and gas piston every 200 rounds and do a complete field strip every 500 rounds if I'm shooting a lot. This is what mossberg recommends IIRC. If know the gun is going to not be fired again for a month or more, I will field strip it and clean it.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:15 PM   #35
guitar1580

"master gunsmith (a former president of the custom gun makers guilt ) about cleaning guns. He stated as many guns were ruined each year by improper and excess cleaning as was ruined by neglect."

Improper yes, but I'm wondering how "excess" cleaning could ruin a gun.

After taking mine apart, I agree that a total tear down is not necessary every time it is shot, especially the trigger assy. I will say that I was able to get to alot of areas to clean and lube them much better when it was apart, and the barrel is much easier to clean and properly lube when it is off.

To those who never clean a gun even once in 30 years, I only wonder, WHY? It takes maybe 15 minutes. I hope you at least lubricate them, and I hope you don't own a Harley...heheh.

To me it is not only a matter of maintenance, but also some pride of ownership. I've heard lots of stories of someone owning a car for 5 yrs and never changing the oil. Just because their engine didn't lock up, doesn't mean that I'm going to skip a $15 oil change to chance it. You MAY very well get by with no problems, or you MAY not. To each his own, but my guns, or any belongings, are cleaned and properly maintained, and the little bit of money spent usually comes back in higher resale value when I sell.

Josh P
Old January 15, 2010, 11:42 PM   #36
LollerCopter

hell no, at least not with my ruger mini 14. hell dont even need to clean it but its cool to run a rod down the barrel every now and then
Old January 15, 2010, 11:44 PM   #37
LollerCopter

OH yeah this is the shotgun forum.... Nope, never disasembled my shotgun to clean it, unless you count taking the barrel off.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:20 AM   #38
KMO

Quote:
...hell no, at least not with my ruger mini 14. hell dont even need to clean it...
A Mini-14 left dirty? Sacrilege! Sacrilege, I say!
Old January 16, 2010, 11:10 AM   #39
30-30remchester

In response to Guitar1850 I have gunsmithed for years and worked on machinery for 5 decades now and I do believe you can over maintence certain items. Nothing irks me more than seeing an old gun that has had too many screwdrivers attack it. I am not saying I dont maintain my guns which I do regularly, I just dont disaaemble them. About twice a year on my trapgun I open the action and squirt gunscrubber in the action and blow it out with a compressor. Same can be done for a Smith revolver just remove the grips and hose it down in all exposed openings with solvent and blow dry,and re-oil. No need to get the screwdrivers out. I have well used early Smith and Wesson revolvers that has never had their sideplates removed. Yes maintence but no on total dissasembly. I actually bought a Winchester model 54 last year I believe was never cleaned since it was born in 1929. It actually had parts of a tree bracnh in the magazine well. Still functioned prorerly.
Old January 16, 2010, 01:10 PM   #40
TxGun

"master gunsmith (a former president of the custom gun makers guilt ) about cleaning guns. He stated as many guns were ruined each year by improper and excess cleaning as was ruined by neglect."

I agree with this. Since retiring from my "real" career, I've worked PT in a large gunshop. Many, if not most, of the problems we see are "user induced" and many of those are people who screw something up during disassembly/assembly. Heck, it's not atypical that a gun owner can't even seem to remove a screw without buggering the screw-head! . Some are so bad they have to be drilled out! Good way to make a nice gun look like crap. (Pet peeve...had to mention it.) Of course, that's relatively minor and fairly easily fixed, but damn! On most shotguns I would suggest removing the barrel and cleaning it and the bolt face routinely after shooting. Remove the trigger group a couple of times and year and clean that. It all depends on how much shooting you do, of course, but more than that is probably overkill. I see a lot of receiver marring on pump guns where the idiot removed the trigger group and then didn't know how to put it back in without forcing/scratching the hell out of something. Imagine something so simple and people still find a way to screw it up??? That kind of fat-finger fumbling really does more harm than good...but it's common. Oh well, it's good for business.

Last edited by TxGun; January 16, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 21, 2010, 08:56 PM   #41
lambertsteeth

No, I don't clean every time. I do always give them a shot of oil, mostly to avoid rust. It's a shotgun, not a fine swiss watch. There have been years that I've shot around 20,000 rounds on the clays course. With a quality gun, not cleaning everytime is no big deal. I know I'll get alot of negative feedback for my post, but this is what I do.
I will say, if I shoot in bad weather, I am gonna clean and dry it.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:11 PM   #42
oneounceload

It would seem then, from the comments above, that it is NOT excessive maintenance ruining guns, but IMPROPER maintenance being done by inept individuals using the wrong tools and techniques.

My shotguns have very tight tolerances between mated surfaces - to allow grime, carbon build-up, etc. to remain in there would lead to excessive wear, galling, and possible malfunctioning as a result.

IMO, too many folks think they know what they are doing and either apply too much force or use the wrong tools........

YMMV
Old January 21, 2010, 10:42 PM   #43
RoscoeC

Quote:
Do you disassemble to clean every time?
Yes.

Just to take us back to the original post.

Oneounceload is dead on. It isn't cleaning or disassembly that cause problems it is IMPROPER disassembly and cleaning that are the culprit.

So, because I don't know how to PROPERLY change the oil in my car I should just never change it?

Maybe I should pay someone that knows how to do it PROPERLY, or perhaps I should learn to do it PROPERLY myself.
NRA Life Member
Old January 22, 2010, 04:34 PM   #44
hazman

every time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!