The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2004, 04:43 PM   #1
CobrayCommando

Not quite full-auto, but...

I have several questions regarding items of sketchy legality, and since this is a full auto forum, I thought some of you may know alot about firearms law.

One, I know that suppressors are legal federally, but I haven't been able to understand California law concerning them. Can I buy an integrally silenced Buck Mark barrel here?

Two, if I owned a semi automatic Sten gun (for example), would it be legal to buy one of those drop in sears or conversion kits that change the gun to fully automatic, even if I didn't use it?
Old November 26, 2004, 06:46 PM   #2
PMDW

Quote:
Two, if I owned a semi automatic Sten gun (for example), would it be legal to buy one of those drop in sears or conversion kits that change the gun to fully automatic, even if I didn't use it?
No, you can't have a semi-automatic firearm, and parts from the automatic version of that firearm. There is a term for what the BATF considers that, what that term is, I don't remember.

Most drop in auto kits are considered machineguns by themselves, anyway.
Old November 26, 2004, 07:10 PM   #3
CobrayCommando

If that were true then wouldn't drop in kits manufactured after 1986 be illegal? What if you bought the parts first, and then a semi-auto gun?
Old November 26, 2004, 07:11 PM   #4
CobrayCommando

I have another question: if I were to buy high capacity magazines in my residence in Maine, and then ship them or take them with me when I move to Los Angeles, would I be in violation of any laws? What about silencers and other class IIIs?
Old November 26, 2004, 07:11 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

The easy answer....

You cannot have suppressors or machineguns in California.

The federal problem with machineguns is you cannot now register a machinegun. It had to have been registered prior to the ban in 1986.
Old November 26, 2004, 07:23 PM   #6
CobrayCommando

Theoretically shouldn't I be able to bring magazines in, even if done rather clandestinely? How could LE officials know if they were manufactured out of state and/or after the ban was enacted in California? Do you think they would care enough to check?
Old November 26, 2004, 09:17 PM   #7
Lawnmower

Gun registration + Date you moved to California = Enough evidence to bust you to club felon.
Old November 26, 2004, 09:30 PM   #8
CQBArms

1. The drop in sear IS the machine gun. Yes they are illegal unless registered and transferable or you are a dealer with all the right paperwork.

Machine gun parts and a semi auto = constructive posession, however a drop in sear or lightning link style device is a machine gun unto itself.

CA = no suppressors for you unless law enforcement or dealer.

If you knew anything about how the semi auto stens were built you would know there is no drop in sear for them, as well they fire from the CLOSED bolt, so there is a sear trip and reset to strike a spring loaded firing pin. The Sten SMG fires from the open bolt...with a fixed firing pin.

Lets focus NO CLASS III for you in CA, if you move and own class III you have to notify the BATFE to have them update the registry, move to a non CIII state, that's going to be a problem

High capacity mags, you didn't live there, no way you could have owned them...these are all really foolish questions...two bits of common sense says if it's illegal, there isn't a "loophole".
Old November 26, 2004, 09:38 PM   #9
CobrayCommando

I don't quite understand... I did live in Los Angeles, I now live in Maine, but am moving back. Is it legal to buy hi-caps here and bring them to California?
Old November 26, 2004, 09:47 PM   #10
PMDW

About as legal as stabbing someone in the face.
Old November 26, 2004, 10:12 PM   #11
CobrayCommando

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old November 26, 2004, 10:19 PM   #12
CQBArms

NO, No new high caps in CA. Doesn't matter if they are pre or post, you can't bring them in.
Old November 26, 2004, 10:39 PM   #13
CobrayCommando

OK NO NEED TO YELL. PMDW already answered my question quite succintly thank you.
Old November 27, 2004, 12:01 AM   #14
G17raider

A person can get a FA weapon, standard cap mags, suppressors and such ONLY with a special permit when moon reaches it's highest point in the sky. But yes, there are permits out there and they are very hard to get.

Last edited by G17raider; November 27, 2004 at 12:02 AM. Reason: had to add last sentence
Old November 28, 2004, 10:01 PM   #15
CQBArms

There is no such thing as a "full auto permit". There are dealers licenses, there are tax stamps for individual ownership of NFA firearms and they are not hard to get at all. Pretty much if you can purchase a pistol, you should pass the background for purchasing and NFA item.

Quote:

Send a message via AIM to G17raider

A person can get a FA weapon, standard cap mags, suppressors and such ONLY with a special permit when moon reaches it's highest point in the sky. But yes, there are permits out there and they are very hard to get.
Old November 28, 2004, 10:03 PM   #16
CQBArms

No one was yelling, you just don't seem to understand the word no the first 3 or 4 times you were told it.

Quote:
OK NO NEED TO YELL. PMDW already answered my question quite succintly thank you.
Old November 29, 2004, 11:24 AM   #17
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Okay, now.

Asked and answered.

Closed.
Closed Thread