The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 13, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1
ripnbst

Aftermarket hunting stock Rem 700 ADL

Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket stock on a Rem 700 ADL? Most of what I have found have been target style stocks and I want the rifle to still be comfortable in the field. I am considering the McMillan A-3 sporter or the McMillan Hunter. Does anyone have any other recommendations? My main reason for wanting to upgrade is that the OEM stock is flimsy and the forearm flexes and touches the barrel which is bad. The McMillans are pricey but this rifle will be one I will keep my whole life, I'm 25 now so I plan to keep it for a long time.

The gun will be a .308 WIN.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
ripnbst

I am open to Choate, B&C, HS Precision, Boyd's, etc just trying to get some feedback from others on what they've used and their opinions.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
old roper

I've got McMillan,B&C,H&S on most of my rifles and gunsmith has one of Holland's fiberglass sporter stocks with his pillar system give that a try.

Lot of good stocks being made today and if I was going to get a McMillan make sure it's pillar bedded.

I spread my stocks out like I do the barrels I have put one so far had good luck with the stock's I've used

Here is Holland web site click on custom stocks
http://www.hollandguns.com/

One of my rifles I send over here and had them install stock did a real nice job.

http://hightech-specialties.com/stock_prices.html

I have a stock from this outfit

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/index.html hope it comes up
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; November 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
alex0535

I have heard that choate is usually very heavy.

If you are willing to pay for McMillan direct, they will make you exactly what you want. The stocks they make are borderline indestructible, warrantied forever. If its going to be a rifle you plan to have your entire life, mcmillan makes some pretty awesome stocks.

They are strong enough to be run over by a ups truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TkdFpyulJk
Old November 17, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
ThomasT

I bought one of the ADL 243s that has the matt finish and synthetic stock. I have read the plastic stock cost remington $5 each. They feel like a $5 stock too. My buddy has the same gun in 6mm.

We both bought a couple of the remington factory wood stocks that others had sold because they bought after market plastic stocks. My buddy paid about $65 and I paid $90 for my wood stock. I free floated the barrels and glass bedded both guns. These are far better stocks than the junk that came on the guns. They make the guns about 6-8oz heavier. Not a big deal.

Check with your gun dealer, gunbroker or ebay and you may find a deal on one. My stock looked flawless and unused. My buddies stock had a few minor dings in it. I also replaced the plastic trigger gaurd with a metal one from remington.

I don't they would fair too well being run over by a UPS truck. Thats OK. I don't hunt around UPS trucks anyway.
Old November 17, 2012, 05:11 PM   #6
math teacher

One option for you is to install a BDL stock and add an after market trigger guard assembly for a detachable magazine, such as the Kwik Klip from Cabelas. They are drop in but only fit long actions. MidwayUSA has more expensive ones if you choose, also available in short action. My buddy and I have been using the Kwik Klip in McMillan stocks for years and are very pleased with them. Be sure to buy extra magazines.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Clark

The McMillan stocks are $400" and more ready to go.

I am working on a High Tech Specialties ADL stock $200+ and it is a lot more work. That is the stock that Bansner makes for their $2k ~ $6k Rem 700 type rifles.

http://www.hightech-specialties.com/
http://www.bansnersrifle.com/2011/04...edition-rifle/
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...CH_SPECIALTIES

I have got 3 of those stocks shooting, but only one painted.

Here is a pic of the 40 ounce ADL stock I took off and the 20 ounce ADL Bansner stock I put on the Rem700 I rebarrelled to 7mmRM last month.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #8
jmr40

If you check McMillians website periodically they have "Specials" that are available right now, instead of the 4 month wait. They are showing 2 availabe right now for a SA Remington ADL.

http://mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-specials-remington.php

Price is $488 shipped and you can have it in about a week.

Personlly I'd wait on the McMillan Edge for $518 that I discussed in the PM I sent. But if you want it now, and are willing to take a 1/2 lb heavier stock without pillars they are available.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:31 AM   #9
hooligan1

I bought a stock off of an add on Gun.Broker.com, for a Remington BDL short action. This rifle had gone through a housefire, so the original was charred deeply.
The fella I did the work for could not afford to purchase an aftermarket stock so I looked on Gun.Broker.com, and I found an add for a Remington BDL sa stock, synthetic, Brand new, just 19.00+ 12.00 shipping.
These are stocks a gun company removes from brand new rifles to customize for clients.
It fit this little rifle perfectly, and I went ahead and Pillar-bedded it for him, haven't shot it yet, but it should do well.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Picher

I bought a stock from Stockys and love it. They have a wide variety and price range.

This is for their ADL/BDL stock selection:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/Categories
Old November 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #11
tobnpr

There is such a huge selection of aftermarket stocks available for the 700 action that it's impossible to make a specific recommendation, many will fit the bill for what you're seeking.

Some points to consider:
  • Composite is better than wood for a hunting application where the rifle is likely to get wet...
  • If you're not going to bed the action- and preferably install pillars as well- consider the expense of having a smith dio it, versus purchasing a stock with an integrated aluminum bedding block/pillars.
  • Lighter is always better for toting around, but is not as effective at reducing felt recoil. We have a Choate, and while it's a great target stock, it's a heavy sucker and I wouldn't select it for a hunting rifle.
  • The "higher" end stocks like McMillan and Manners will not necessarily make your rifle any more accurate than a B&C or HS Precision. But, they may be more "durable", so consider how much the stock is likely to get beat up as part of your deicsion.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:18 AM   #12
sc928porsche

I am fond of Richards Microfit. Available in many styles, different woods, different laminates, and different grades of wood. Word of caution....stay away from the factory 2nds.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Mobuck

I like Hogue. Solid, confortable, and fit well. Unfortunately they're not light. If you want a substantial synthetic stock, that' my recommendation. You won't feel the forend flex and twist when you've got a bipod attached or ar e using a sling.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:32 PM   #14
riche

I have 3 rem.700 ADLs, and I've installed Boyds laminates on all 3 rifles. They look great and really dress up a plain rifle.
Old November 19, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15
tobnpr

I don't think that anyone in their right mind here would argue that a McMillan or Manners will last your lifetime- and is well worth every penny.

If you can afford it, buy it- and you'll never look back.

And unlike most other stocks, if you buy one, and decide for some reason you want to to sell it down the road, you'll get darn near what you paid for it.

Not many things associated with our hobby you can say that about...
Old November 20, 2012, 02:36 AM   #16
Tomas204

I have a couple of guns with HS stocks love them, great fit light enough accurate as they can be