The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 04:23 PM   #1
sigcurious

Golf with Guns

Link

Quote:
The 75-acre, 30-station sporting clays course has an unparalleled view of the Las Vegas valley. (Sporting clays are also known as “golf with guns” since most users travel between shooting stations in golf carts that have been modified with gun racks) The course opened to the public Friday, Jan. 18.
I've never heard sporting clays referred to as golf with guns before, but I got a chuckle out of it. I'm also glad to see that the county range is still expanding their facilities. Things like this make it even harder to resist the temptation of getting into shotgunning.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

It has been called golf with a shotgun since its inception because the shooters move from station to station, with each station being different from the rest, and each course different from another. Unlike trap and skeet fields which are the same everywhere, each sporting course is different, making it more challenging and fun

Nice to see ONE thing Harry Reid did as pro 2A
Old January 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
BigJimP

Its a common description around here as well....

hope you get out and try it !
Old January 19, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
SauerGrapes

Some of the guys at the club describe it as, ''the most fun you'll ever have with your cloths on''.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 20, 2013, 02:47 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I was sure I would be opening a Bill Murray thread.

I agree there is a definite future in the sport although I don't understand why it has not taken off yet.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:50 AM   #6
bedlamite

It's been around eastern Wisconsin for many years. I have 5 sporting clays courses within a half hour drive with 3 of them only minutes from each other. They even had a local tournament where you shot a round at each.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:00 AM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Just shot two registered tournaments yesterday at one of my "local" clubs - an hour away. Did OK and won my class both times. The registered shoots add that little extra "pressure" which can play havoc with your head at times, making you miss those "easy" ones.

As someone wiser than me said:"They're all easy to hit, and just as easy to miss!"
Old January 21, 2013, 01:17 PM   #8
BigJimP

All of the clay target games ...and shotgun sports in general -- especially in registered tournaments are decling....mostly because of entry fee cost - and cost of shells...gas, etc....

Its just a sign of the economic times.../ and the amount of time it takes to shoot an 18 station course...( golf, and a lot of things are declining ) ...
Old January 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Jim - you haven't seen what these snowbirds do to a local trap club - the 4 or 5 months they are typically here makes the entire year for some of these clubs - they are packed every day. And with a lot of these folks coming from states that have just introduced ridiculous new laws, they want to get as much shooting in as they can. Granted, trap is still somewhat dying, but only because games like Sporting, FITASC, 5-stand, etc., have sprung up to add more fun and challenges into the mix. Here, we have an average attendance of 75 shooters for a registered monthly tournament in sporting with minimum prizes. The "big blasts" with big money will draw hundreds. Yes, it isn't cheap, but there are a lot of new shooters, especially women and younger ones coming into the sport every shoot. The disposable income is there, and the clubs are doing everything they can do make them spend it shooting instead of boating or golfing.
After this weekend, I have a big blast over two days next weekend. Then if I win the lotto, there are three more back to back to back throughout February, and they all have a large number already pre-registered, so things are looking up.

Now, if we can get ammo at reasonable prices (or even at all), things will be doing better

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; January 21, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 21, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Husqvarna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEB9GgKoJ0

clay pidgeons with golf clubs, the reverse?
Old January 21, 2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Virginian

And the gold carts have shotgun holders in them.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:17 AM   #12
MrApathy

shooting golf balls with 22lr is pretty fun with a pistol as well
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old January 24, 2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Sphawley

Great course, this one in particular is literally only a miles from my home.

I feel like a very lucky guy!!
Old January 24, 2013, 01:07 AM   #14
sigcurious

Sadly I live across town from the complex. I haven't been by to check out any of the facilities yet but I keep hearing good things.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:10 AM   #15
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
''the most fun you'll ever have with your cloths on''.
The people that say this have never experienced horsepower in mass quantities... I enjoy all the clay sports and am quite competent in all of them... But I've never had the rush that I have with either fast cars or fast motorcycles...
Old January 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #16
bobn

it is a hoot for sure. one station at coyland has a international grain truck set up. kind of like road hunting at its best. no worries from the warden! bobn
Old January 24, 2013, 10:30 AM   #17
SPEMack618

John Milius the creative mind, some would say genius, behind "Red Dawn" and "Dirty Harry", once commented that sporting clays was "redneck golf" on an old epsidoe of "Tales of the Gun"

As a somewhat avid golfer, and former competitive skeet shooter, I object to that classification.

Sporting clays/skeet/trap is entirely to fun and easy to be considered golf.

I have never had a desire to chunk my shotgun across the trap range or wring my shooting partners neck while shooting any sort of trap or skeet.