The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 1999, 11:39 AM   #1
Futo Inu

4" Tanto blade, serrations over hald of blade. One year warranty. Seems like a good knife value at $50. So, what's your everyday carry knife?
Old August 26, 1999, 06:10 PM   #2
Mike Baugh

I alternate between an Emerson production model CQC7 in Black T and a CRKT M16-02 [cool knife , cheap]. Good luck , Mike...
Old August 26, 1999, 08:13 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

AFCK, or MINI AFCK... depending on mood swing.
I like the Spyderco Hole, and I like the liner lock. The only real Spyderco option similar would be the MILITARY model - but its too big to pull out and use in the office.
The Cold Steel line of knives are nice... Good value for the dollar.

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac
Old August 26, 1999, 11:19 PM   #4
JMB

Serrated Spyderco Delica right now, though I'm trying to save up to buy an Emerson E1A Raven.

I had an AFCK and thought the blade was great, but the grip just wasn't comfortable for me. I've found the Raven grip to be the most comfortable of any folder I've tried.
Old August 27, 1999, 09:02 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I was carrying a Cold Steel Voyageur tanto point but recently picked up a CRKT MK16-12. Been looking at some BMs as I tend to abuse my knives.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited August 27, 1999).]
Old August 27, 1999, 10:18 AM   #6
Mute

Allen Elishewitz Shadow.
Old August 30, 1999, 03:06 PM   #7
BilltheCat

Discount knives has something called Outdoor Edge Impulse. Teflon coated black stainless 4" blade. Kinda nice. it's either that or the Emerson cqc-7B Tanto. A really nice knife. I have yet to buy either as I just don't know what to buy first. sigh.

ain't life hard sometimes?

------------------
Old August 31, 1999, 03:10 AM   #8
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The Gunsite Voyager, huh?
Maybe someone here can finally educate me as to the purpose of the tip design on that little wonder?
Rich
Old August 31, 1999, 08:31 AM   #9
ROSANGHAL

I carry either an Emerson Black-T Commander or Satin Commander in my right pocket and a Spyderco Wegner jr. in my left pocket.

Ross T.
Old August 31, 1999, 10:39 AM   #10
Futo Inu

BilltheCat: I have an Outdoor Edge Pocket Lite, and it's a GREAT little knife - good looking, well-made, many features - including a clip held on by three little screws so that if you break it, you can replace just the clip instead of the whole knife. Very good price, too. Outdoor Edge claims, IINM, that their knives are superior to the Spydercos they copy - something to do with "treating" 2/3rds of the blade, rather than just the first 1/4".

Rich, what do you mean exactly?

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited August 31, 1999).]
Old August 31, 1999, 11:56 AM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Futo-
Doesn't the Gunsite Voyager sport a tanto tip?
Rich
Old September 2, 1999, 04:04 PM   #12
Futo Inu

Rich, yes the Voyager (gunsite or not) has the tanto blade. Ohhh, the function of the tanto shape in general?? Have no idea, other than to look "samurai-ish". Maybe someone else can enlighten....IIRC, the ad for this knife advertises that it penetrates a car door without breaking the tip. So, perhaps the geometry of the shape somehow strengthens(?).
Old September 2, 1999, 06:51 PM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Look no further for the answer, Futo.

The Tanto point is designed for strength of piercing. That's my point. Tanto's are made for stabbing. Folders are made for folding. When you attempt to stab with a folder it's likely to perform it's main function perfectly...folding (ouch ).

I know of no instructor who advocates stabbing with a folder. So why put a tanto point on one. You've already anwered that one...for looks only. Unfortunately, you loose "belly" with this design and, thus, give up the most aggressive portion of the slashing edge.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited September 02, 1999).]
Old September 2, 1999, 11:35 PM   #14
Long Path

You know, Rich, you've managed to neatly sum up the problem I've had with those little guys since I've first seen them. I'm big on belly in my folders, especially because I'm likely to take my knives hunting with me. A knife should, first and formost, cut, and a bit of belly allows one to get the most out of each slice or slash or simple, delicate draw of the blade.

I'm not well-experienced in the world of knives, but I do know that the original tantos that were made by the Japanese were much longer than those made by Cold Steel, and had a gentle curve to them of a few degrees. For their purpose, they had all the belly they need for slashing. They also had that excelent piercing tip to perform as a dagger, as well. Trying to translat that into a folder does strike me as a bit odd.

Learning always,

L.P.
Old September 3, 1999, 12:14 PM   #15
MAD DOG

And then of course, we have the serrations added to a stabbing blade...
Yet another mystery.

One can almost imagine the Gunsite Knife Design Staff sitting up late one night, inadvertently trying to come up with the most confusing design possible.
A mouse in the corner may have heard the following at their round table design meeting:
"It should be a Folder."
" Something on it has to be black. Black is cool."
"It should have a Tanto point. Tantos are cool."
"It needs serrations too, because everyone wants serrations. Serrations are cool."
"It's gotta be cheap, so everyone will buy one."
"A crucified crow on it will make it irresistable to the logo fixated. Logos are cool."
"Hey, look! Here's a knife just like what we want in this catalog full of imported cutlery. I wonder if they can stamp a crow on it for us..."
Old September 3, 1999, 12:24 PM   #16
Rich Lucibella
Staff

ROFLMAO-
Futo-
Don't take us too seriously....it's just a knife. If it works for you, go for it. Some of us are just not fans of Cold Steel. As concerns the Voyager, I'm not saying anything here that I haven't said to Rich Jee, in person. I just don't like the knife. YMMV.

Kevin, OTOH-
I'm still chasing him around CyberSpace trying to get the damn leash, collar and muzzle back on him!
Rich

"Here doggie, doggie. Nice doggie"
"Grrr-rrrr"
"Put the nice collar on... Arrrrr-Ahhhh!"
Pant, Pant, Burp, Smile
Old September 3, 1999, 10:33 PM   #17
Rob62

Some of you guys carry some fancy blades. Me, I carry an old beat up Victorinox (Swiss Army knife) that is missing both the tweezers and toothpick. On my belt I try to keep a Gerber multi tool.
Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old September 6, 1999, 03:56 PM   #18
Ivan8883

Futo, I carry the big gunsite with the 5 inch blade in my back pocket. The way the handle is designed, it fits perfcet in my back pocket. The big gunsite is like a small sword when it is extended and is really a slash and run knife. I carry a Sw 1250 auto in my front pocket with the 3.5 inch plain blade.
Old September 7, 1999, 01:21 PM   #19
Prichard

n

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old September 7, 1999, 08:51 PM   #20
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I too prefer a beer bellied blade... Main reason I no longer have a Spyderco Police... Nice knife - but you ended up using only the very tip... If your doing that - why do you need a long bladed knife?

The AFCK, Ascent, Endura, Delica, Wayne Goddard Lightweight, Pro-Venator, Military Model, and the Native are all favorites...

Least favorites... Hawkbill blades - like the Harpy... Oh, well yeah If yor on a fishing boat all day and are doing a lot of heavy net cutting maybe... Or looking to slit some throats... But for actual WORK... You need a curve.

Curves are VERY SHAGADELIC, Baby!

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 9, 1999, 12:44 PM   #21
OBIWAN

Benchmade Mini Stryker. We have a limit of 3" on concealed knives