The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 6, 2009, 04:08 PM   #1
mp25ds4

mosin nagant problems

I recently bought a 1936 mosin nagant that looks brand new and the first shot i took out of it the bolt had to be hammered on to open and to pull it back and I do not think that this is a cosmoline problem because i inspected the casings and noticed a place where the metal was scraped off on the back(almost like the chamber is too narrow for the bullet
does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem?

file it down maybe?
Old March 6, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Mtdew

Sounds like you have what they call "Sticky Bolt Syndrome". It can be fixed pretty easily.

Click Here...
Old March 6, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
ar15chase

Did you disassemble the bolt completly before firing? There could be gunk inside of it. It could also be the ammo you have. I shot some Bulgarian laquer coated ammo that would stick like h*** Even after one shot. I got Yugo ammo now. It have never got stuck since.
Old March 6, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
carguychris

I'm also going to chime in and say that it's probably a combination of ancient cosmoline in the chamber and lacquer-coated ammo.

It's possible there's a burr in the chamber; however, the interruptor on a Mosin-Nagant tends to scratch the shell casings even if everything is fine. Could you post a picture of a fired casing? I've dealt with a minor burr before; fixed it with an improvised chamber reamer made from old shell casing wrapped in 600-grit sandpaper and screwed onto the end of a steel rod.
Old March 6, 2009, 05:41 PM   #5
mp25ds4

I am using surplus czech ammo and its not just a little scratch like you are thinking of it is kind of like a flat area where the metal is scraped
an area a little smaller than my pinky fingernail
Old March 6, 2009, 06:02 PM   #6
mp25ds4

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/w...8/IMG_3475.jpg

here is a pic
Old March 6, 2009, 10:58 PM   #7
DrLaw

I think you still have crud build-up in the chamber from lacquer over the years of use (theirs, not yours).

Try leaving a soaked patch in there and then go after it as mentioned on Surplusrifle.com.

Mosins were built practically foolproof for an uneducated soldier. They did not have bayonet scabbards as the bayonet was to be put on and left on. Simple, eh? However, the use of lacquered cases has its drawbacks. The worst of which is the lacquer gets superhot, melts and solidifies superfast.

You may think you have it cleaned out, but think again. Don't worry while cleaning it, you won't hurt the chamber unless you take a grinder to it.

The Doc is out now.
Old March 6, 2009, 11:09 PM   #8
jhenry

Looks like built up crud. Dismount the bareled receiver from the stock and soak the area with solvent over a day or two. Then go get a 20 gauge shotgun brass brush, screw it into section of cleaning rod, and pour mineral spirits into a water glass. Chuck the section of rod into an electric drill. Dip the brush and stick it into the chamber, let her rip. There is absolutely no danger of damaging to chamber. Swish it in the glass and repeat until no more black crud washes off the brush. You will be amazed at the amount of stuff you will get from that chamber.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:00 AM   #9
snipecatcher

Quote:
Sounds like you have what they call "Sticky Bolt Syndrome". It can be fixed pretty easily.

Click Here...
Check out the link Mtdew posted to SurplusRifle.com.

Both of my Mosins had this problem, and I fixed it with a 20 guage brass bore brush and a drill. The one I still own now eject shells with ease.
-Dan