The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2002, 10:07 PM   #1
MLC

Mauser/Kimber 7mm magnum ?'s

I have essentially taken over ownership on a friend rifle.
He is broke and 3/4's of the way across the country. Anyway he left me his Kimber/Mauser sporter to babysit and I want to improve it.
It shoots pretty well, more than adequate for hunting, between 1.25 and 2".He was consistently disappointed because it wouldn't shoot subMOA, keep in mind he was comparing his rifle to my Remmy 700's, BDL HB in 6mm and LTR in 308 .
I thought perhaps the butler creek stock, mediocre trigger and 65 dollar Bushnell scope on a 300 dollar rifle might point to the problem. At this point I've added a timney trigger and tried that "hi tech" oil soaked business card between the fore end and barrel trick.
The magazine also does not function correctly, I think the bottom of the bolt catches the belt on the case in the mag causing it to stand at attention in the action.
Is this rifle worth buying a good scope, stock etc for? How are the barrels on these rifles? Can I rebed the action in that cheap ass stock and get decent performance?
Old September 8, 2002, 07:57 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

The diameter of the rim is the same as the belt so the bolt shouldn't be able to get past it to grab the belt. It sounds more like the rails need to be opened a little. Does this happen on both sides? If so then both will need attention. If not only work on the side that gives the problem. You can glass bed the action. I prefer to pillar bed in synthetic stocks. There's no guarantee but it should improve the accuracy. George
Old September 8, 2002, 11:32 AM   #3
MLC

PITA Kimber 7MM mag

Hi, thanks for your response.
Would pillar bedding at home be altogether out of the question
for the average talking monkey such as myself?
Is that using aluminium cylinder/s glassed into the stock?
Old September 8, 2002, 11:56 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

HKLVR, go to http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/pillar.html and you'll find a very good description of pillar bedding. Then you can decide if it's something you want to tackle. George