The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2012, 07:58 AM   #1
rebs

round stuck in gold cup 45 chamber ?

I went out to shoot and it started pouring rain so I decided to call it a day. I dropped the mag out and went to eject the round in the chamber and couldn't pull the slide back. I thought about just shooting it off but decided not to in case it was something gone wrong internally. My son stopped by and with some effort he managed to pull the slide back and eject the round. The round was stuck in the chaamber and when I looked at the round it appears to have a slight bulge where the bottom of the bullet is seated in the case. Would you guys say I taper crimped too much or not enough ? Anything else that would cause this to happen ? I thought I had the die set to just remove the bell in the case mouth. The gun has functioned flawlessly with my reloads but this was the first time I tried to eject a round by hand pulling the slide back.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
243winxb

The slight bulge can be from seating a bullet crooked. 2.Some FL dies will size the brass smaller than normal, this will also leave a bulge showing at the bullets base, normal, not causing a feeding problem. The 3th reason may be not enough taper crimp on a short piece of brass.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Longdayjake

Was the brass nickel plated? I have had issues with tight chambering while using CCI nickel plated brass. My issue wasn't with crimping or bullet bulge, rather it was with insufficient sizing at the base of the case. I had to screw my die in a little further to complete the resizing and all has worked well since then. The brass casings were all feeding and extracting just fine. Only the nickel ones were tight.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
rebs

Quote:
Was the brass nickel plated? I have had issues with tight chambering while using CCI nickel plated brass. My issue wasn't with crimping or bullet bulge, rather it was with insufficient sizing at the base of the case. I had to screw my die in a little further to complete the resizing and all has worked well since then. The brass casings were all feeding and extracting just fine. Only the nickel ones were tight.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Longdayjake

You might try screwing down the die a little further.
Old May 9, 2012, 05:35 PM   #6
marklyftogt

I use a EGW chamber checker for all of my reloading.

If it doesnt drop well in here it isnt going into my gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/575...ge-gage-45-acp

May need to use it on factory ammo too!
Old May 9, 2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Gerry

Could be inconsistent OAL, with that odd bullet not being seating deep enough in the case. The bullet just below the ogive might be getting caught past the end of your chamber. Did you save the offending bullet? Measure the OAL length and compare it to ones that chamber fine. Also you can take a marker and stain the bullet so that you can see where it might be getting caught up.

You should remove your barrel and use that as a checker to help diagnose the problem.

Also, you should avoid forcing the slide open to eject a stuck round. It can be kinda hard on 1911 extractors. It's easiest and safest to field strip the gun if possible and remove the stuck cartridge from the chamber with a squib rod.
Old May 9, 2012, 05:49 PM   #8
mmb713

Maybe the shank of the bullet is hitting the lands of the barrel? Could be an OAL issue. It's happened to me before. Now I remove the barrel from my pistols and make sure loaded rounds are headspacing on the case mouth, not the bullet, when loading up new bullets. And I always crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die too, to eliminate any bulged cases.
Old May 9, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
mehavey

Quote:
Would you guys say I taper crimped too much or not enough ?
What is the measured diameter of the loaded round at the case mouth?
Old May 11, 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
William T. Watts

Were you crimping and seating the bullet in the same operation? If you were the problem you describe is why I now seat and crimp in separate operations. A benefit of seating and crimping separately case length doesn't create the bulge at the base of the bullet. William