The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2010, 06:16 PM   #51
BigJimP

That's too bad ... and there is no way it should not have cycled the Remington Nitro's 100% ......there has to be something wrong.

Keep us in the loop...and don't give up on it. I'm not a Stoeger fan / but there still is no reason why it shouldn't cycle good high quality shells like the Rem Nitro's ...
Old May 31, 2010, 07:04 PM   #52
sks

I agree Big Jim. The low recoil loads understandable but not those. I think the issue is the bolt not going forward all the way. I'm not the gunsmith to know why so I'll let the factory figure that one out.

Will keep you posted on what happens.
Old June 8, 2010, 11:42 PM   #53
sks

The waiting begins

Took the M2000 back to Mike's Guns and Mike was shocked that the gun did not cycle the shells I had. Took them all with me just so that he could see.

He offered my money back or credit toward another gun. I offered to trade him straight up for a Citori and he didn't take my offer. Said it was a good deal though; for me!

I told him no just send it back to the factory. As I like the feel of the gun, it will a joy to shoot it as it is supposed to work. Not sure how long the factory will have the gun but I'm not going to "need" it anytime soon so let the waiting begin.

As soon as there is news I will post.
Old June 9, 2010, 06:45 AM   #54
kx592

I envy your patients

Best of luck bud
Old June 9, 2010, 12:05 PM   #55
BigJimP

I'm impressed that the retailer is working so well with you / that has to make you feel good ! Let's hope the service center can get it fixed quickly and easily .....
Old June 9, 2010, 01:19 PM   #56
zippy13

Two month ago we all thought it was a simple matter of the gun not being broken-in. It has proven to not be the case. Sounds like Mike, of Mike's Guns, is a prince of a guy, another reason to patronize your LGS. Let's hope the factory folks are as accommodating. I share BigJim's sentiment:
Let's hope the service center can get it fixed quickly and easily .....
Old June 10, 2010, 11:50 PM   #57
sks

Yeah, if it had only been the breaking in we would be ok right now. Mike has been great and that is why I return. His prices are competative and if I pay a little more here and there, this is the service I get. That I can live with.

Mike couldn't give a time frame on the repair but I do feel like he is on my side so we'll see what happens. In the mean time I'll just have to shoot the Super Nova, Stevens and now the Ithica Featherlight.

I'll keep you all posted when there is news.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:15 AM   #58
copdills

it does sound like a little heavier load is needed at least for breakin period
Old June 16, 2010, 08:55 PM   #59
sks

Well I got the M2000 back today from Benelli. They had to modify the action bars. I'm not even sure what that means. Said it functioned well with 2 3/4 and 3" shells. Also, said the front sight was pushed forward so they fixed that as well.

Wanted to try it out this afternoon but didn't have a chance. I'll be heading down to Louisiana tomorrow and will try to bring it with me. Hope to shoot it Saturday with my Dad.
Old June 16, 2010, 09:27 PM   #60
zippy13

Glad to hear of your quick service, let's hope they were successful.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:20 AM   #61
sks

Well here we go again. Took the M2000 out yesterday and it jammed on the second shell. The gun would not successfully load the second shell. I shot about 10 rounds and two is the most it would cycle without a jam of some sort.

So I guess my Stoeger experiment is over. I'll take the gun back into Mike and go from there.

Thanks to all for your input and observations.
Old June 21, 2010, 11:36 AM   #62
BigJimP

That's not what we were hoping to hear ...

I hope Stoeger will work out something for you ...
Old June 21, 2010, 12:39 PM   #63
zippy13

Bummer...
Old June 21, 2010, 04:20 PM   #64
ASUdevil22

Sorry to hear that sks...unfortunately for us, the customers, it seems like it's hit or miss with these Stoeger M2000s.
Old June 21, 2010, 04:41 PM   #65
sks

Yeah, I'm finally bummed about this one. Was really hoping it would turn out ok and not have any issues but it is as bad as ever. I put some nitro express shells and they wouldn't even cycle.

Mike told me if it didn't work to take it back to him. I'm going to ask him to shoot it and see what happens.

In the mean time I will play with the new Citori! Life is rough.

I did give my Dad some low noise/low recoil shells that didn't cycle his Ithaca. I don't know what semi auto will cycle those things. Almost feels like a pellet gun!
Old July 10, 2010, 07:44 PM   #66
TPatt

My father and I both got M2000's (mine camo kit [26/28" barrel, pistol and standard stocks], my father 18" defender version) . After a break down/cleaning 1-1/8 dram3 #8 would not cycle at all it would eject the shell but not push the bolt back far enough to elevate the next one in. We then ran the heavy loads, 150 #4 2-3/4, for a brake in and they cycled them like a champ. Back with 1-1/8 dram3 #8 and 7-1/2, still the same. On dissassembly of both m2000's i noticed rubbing of the action bar on the forearm and some marring in the blue finish on the mag tube, i sanded (240grit) some material out and polished the inside of the forearm and cleaned up the edges of the action spring removing some small berrs. And the same thing would not cycle. Contacted Stogger to see if they had a lighter action spring and was told no dice they only made one spring for the M2000. Then looking at the design and comparing it to other gas guns i came to the conclusion that the action spacer needed to go but found it near impossible to remove.

So i found the solution i cut a 1/2" off the stock action spring (after ordering a new action spring from stogger just in case, $10 shiped) and now it works perfectly with 1-1/8 dram 3 loads, i have not tried any 1 or 7/8oz as of yet.

-Travis
Old July 11, 2010, 08:01 AM   #67
sks

Sent the M2000 back to Stoeger/Benelli yesterday with a lengthy explanation and box tops of the shells I was using. Hoping for an answer soon and a fixed gun.

Thanks for the tip TPatt. That might be an option if the factory doesn't fix it this time. However, mine has never reliably cycled even 3" shells and I did shoot more than enough for the break-in period.

What I really hate is that anything has to be done to "fix" a gun after being purchased. Oh well, live and learn. While I like the feel of the M2000 and really want it to work, if it comes back with issues I will NEVER even look at another Stoeger product and this one will simply sit in the basement and not be used.

At this point my fingers are crossed, four leaf clover is out, threw salt over my shoulder, garlic is hanging...
Old August 6, 2010, 10:54 PM   #68
tmj21

Stoeger problems

ok well i just recently bought one-used- and am having trouble but mine is doing the miss fires and ive figured that out, with both target loads suggested and some 3" steel after shooting the first shell the second would cycle in but after the second triger pull i would get a click (the firing pin going but nothing happening) i noticed that the chamber wasnt closed all the way that special quarter twist wouldnt happen so i took it apart and sanded the inside coner on the path that the bolt folllows in that quarter twist and also sanded the spot on the barrel where the shell extractor or grabber slides in the turn and also the extractor itsself on the side that slide on the barrel, polished them all with a dremmel and refinished anything that needed it and now it never misfires because i made it easier for it to finish its quarter turn to lock in ----------and instead of regular oil i like to use some thick oil based lube in the warmer months and when it gets cold i mix brake free spray oil, a tiny bit of thick lube and graphite powder and mix this into a very liquidy substance and throw it into a spay bottle and spray the moving parts down only not for external use, although i have yet to try this mix in the stoeger m2000 but it worked very well in my m1 super 90
Old August 7, 2010, 03:58 AM   #69
zippy13

Greetings tmj21 and welcome aboard,

Many thanks for an informative first posting. Perhaps your fix will work for the OP's gun.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:29 PM   #70
sks

tmj21: thanks for the post. That is just about what mine was doing. It didn't lock up all the way and all you got was a click. I about shot my shoulder off trying to "break it in" with the heavy rounds.

Mine came back from the factory about a week ago but there has been no time for the range. Probably won't get to do that for another week or two yet.

Hope to have better news this time around.

Welcome aboard.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:11 PM   #71
tmj21

thanks for the welcome and sks keep me posted on the problems and what not, i may be young but i know a couple things on the guns that i own and maybe i can help out more
Old August 19, 2010, 07:16 PM   #72
sks

Nothing has changed

Finally was able to get the M2000 out to shoot today and on the third round it did the same thing again. I tried a few more rounds but every other one was bad.

On at least one occasion the "ejecting" shell got caught and did not fully eject. On another it put a fresh shell in but the bolt was not all the way seated so all I got was a click.

tmj21, I'll try what you suggested. At the worst I'll break the gun and it won't work. Wait, that is what I have now so it won't matter. What did you sand those parts with? I've got a Dremmell and can use that as well.

Even if I get it to work my Stoeger experiment is done!
Old August 22, 2010, 08:47 AM   #73
tmj21

sks yes the dremmel is what i used with a grinding stone and polishing pad i also used a small piece of 200 or finer sand paper to just smooth up nay burs on it and to make the large pin on the bolt that slides in the cutout path ,allowing the quarter turn, slide easier sand and polish the corners of the path so it goes by easier, then the only problem that you might have is the bolt turning too much and getting caught up further in the very small groove where the extractor slides on the barrel but when shooting it will push it back but when unloading or sliding the bolt manually it might stick and if you do have that problem i just put a dot of gel locktight superglue in the very corner to stop it and you will have to reapply the dot every once in a while, just check it during cleaning but thats only if you have the sticking problem
Old August 24, 2010, 08:19 AM   #74
darkgael

lucky me

After reading through about all of the problems, I feel very lucky. I don't know that I'd go buy an M2000 if I had read a series of posts like this beforehand.
As it is, I feel lucky. The M2000 that I have has worked flawlessly now for a good many rounds - hunting, sporting clays, trap.
I hope it stays that way.
Pete
Old August 25, 2010, 10:16 PM   #75
tmj21

im glad things are working for you but from what ive seen and read its been about 50% to 75% that are good and with no problems and the others all the same problem or damn near the same thing