The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 6, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1
wyboo

Remington 20 gauge model 11 Sportsman

I am new to the forum and am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but here goes. I inherited a great little 20 gauge Model 11 Sportsman from my father. This is the Remington that was manufactured on the Browning patent. It has a lot of sentimental value. My father used it to harvest a lot of quail and doves and my son killed his first buck with it. It quit working properly so I took it to a gunsmith and he said that the locking bolt was broken and he could not find a replacement part. Do any of you folks know how I can find a part for this gun? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 6, 2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Snyper

Quote:
Do any of you folks know how I can find a part for this gun?
Try:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
Old March 6, 2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The bolt lock is a part I've never seen fail. Anyhow, you may want to check the parts design, as I seem to recall Remington changing something on these. If nothing else, take it out, and take a photo. E-mail it to Gunparts (Numrich), or others, along with a description, gauge, etc., and let them match it.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1408100.htm
Old March 6, 2015, 10:01 PM   #4
gunnut69

don't know about the Remington's for certain but the older A5's used a bolt locking block with a narrower guide ridge. This means the locking block AND the bolt would need replaced... The older locking blocks are not available BUT a newer block can be fitted. It entails thinning the guide ridge with a moto tool from the inside. This can be done by hand and the small sanding spindle fits just right. You will also likely have to adjust the end clearance on the blocks protrusion thru the barrel extension. Worked over an A5 for a friend and it worked out well. I've not done this with a 20...
Old March 7, 2015, 11:30 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm wondering if it's something as simple as the friction ring not being set up right.

BTW, try Jack First in Montana for parts.
Old March 7, 2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's something as simple as the friction ring not being set up right.
A gunsmith would have noticed that

Quote:
I took it to a gunsmith
Old March 7, 2015, 02:24 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Snyper - I too noticed OP mentioned gunsmith. However, not all gunsmiths are gunsmiths. We all know there are no national standards or licensing boards. That smith may not be familiar with the Browning design. I have a gunsmith friend who doesn't know how to use a lathe or milling machine. Some guys are just armorers who can fix or adjust some parts. Heck, the guys in the blackpowder community wouldn't be considered gunsmiths but darn if they aren't better gunstockers or artists (inlays, wire inlay, engraving, metal fabrication, relief carving, finishers, patchbox makers) than my meagre skills can accomplish. Heck, some non-school guys here at this forum know more about some topics than I do and I've been to most armorer schools too. I'm glad they're here and sharing their knowledge freely.

BTW, I recently met a graduate from the Colorado School of Trade. It doesn't enjoy the reputation that the school I attended does, but he's a great businessman and has at least eight CNC machines that he owns. He also has an EDM machine. He's a gunsmith/businessman who isn't starving to death. Kudos to him.

wyboo - please post pics. The crew here is pretty good at these things. We've got some experienced gunsmiths here, some very experienced hobbyists and a overall great members who will help.
Old March 7, 2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Clark

Quote:
A gunsmith would have noticed that
From what I have seen, other than the term "girlfriend" the term "gunsmith" has the widest range of what qualifies.
It is my understanding that to get a dealership FFL licence to do gunsmithing (type 01), one does not have to know one end of a screwdriver from the other. Just hang out a shingle and learn on other people's guns.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 7, 2015, 07:56 PM   #9
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Clark, sadly, that's true. They at least should require graduation from a correspondence course, of an accredited school, where they will learn about chamber pressure, gun strength, etc, and ballistics, along with how all guns function.
Old March 8, 2015, 11:42 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
It quit working properly so I took it to a gunsmith and he said that the locking bolt was broken
This sounds like a pretty specific diagnosis to me.

Now I suppose it's possible that the gunsmith is utterly incompetent and he just made up a story about a specific part being broken, but it's also possible that the guess about the friction rings being set incorrectly was a bit too generic.

At least the gunsmith has actually seen the gun in question.