The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 06:59 AM   #26
Pointshoot

I used to go to a monthly gunshow that is likely the largest in the state. But its a pretty good drive down there, and I haven't gone to it for at least 4 years now. Reason ? Its just not worth it. Prices on guns are too high. Maybe they count on inexperienced newbies with more money than gun sense ? After the last time I went to that show, I told myself its better to not go,and save on gas & time. In the past, I found my best deals at gunshows. Not from the big dealers with multiple tables. Usually from the small 'hobby' type guy with one table and just a few guns. (Also from individuals who brought their gun to a show to sell - - - but this is very rare. Usually they don't have what I'm looking for.) The internet has opened up a big market for buyers & sellers. I'd say the majority of the gunshops I regularly deal with locally, also sell online and have listings on the major gun ad and auction websites. That probably can keep you from getting gouged, but it also makes it tougher to get a screaming deal. People have a better idea of what the market price is.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Cowboy_mo

I used to go to 3 or 4 gunshows in the St. Louis area each year. The only "deals" I ever saw on guns were the ones individuals were carrying around to sell. I also saw the same dealers at the same shows every time many with the same over-priced inventory. With a little eavesdropping, I learned that the only people buying guns an in most cases ammo from the vendors, were 'newbies' who didn't know the value of the merchandise.

A few years back I used to see some decent deals on holsters, some reloading equipment, and sometimes reloading components. At least in our area, the shows aren't designed for the knowledgeable shooter and I haven't been to one for over a year.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:11 AM   #28
wayneinFL

Quote:
This past weekend at the gunshow here in wichita, i saw 2 remington r1 1911s priced at 900.00 And i see stuff like this all the time.
Come on. A pair of 1911s for $900 isn't a bad deal.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #29
Crankgrinder

not sold as a pair, 900$ each.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:11 PM   #30
laytonj1

Quote:
not sold as a pair, 900$ each.
They were likely the enhanced or centennial models. They run in $900 range.

Jim
Old December 7, 2012, 02:48 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

The prices at the shows I go to are high, but people still dicker.

Face it, our dollar isn't worth crap these days, plus the panic buying hysteria, plus the "collectable" crap. Now, while there are a lot of guns I will pay good money for (and I do buy a lot more used than new) a bargin gun that went out of production 40+ years ago isn't worth what they ask these days.

I don't even dare crack open that case of 7.62NATO I bought a few years ago for $165, it would cost me nearly $900 to replace it!

Seems like everything has gone up alot, except wages....
Old December 7, 2012, 03:26 PM   #32
SVO

Shopping for a gun at a show and getting a deal is a matter of being educated about what you are buying. You have to know what the going price is for the item you are looking for.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:58 AM   #33
Skans

Lots of reasons for high stated prices at gun shows:

1. A good vendor is good at "jawing" with anyone who passes their table. (Why do you think the beef jerky guy and the knife sharpener keep coming back). They'll get someone talking about Obama, gun bans, some conspiracy theory, etc. If the vendor can get the looky-lew interested in something, he can always make him the "deal of a lifetime".

2. Vendors are not usually looking to sell to folks who are extremely knowledgeable about firearms. They are looking to pluck cash from idiots - and there are plenty of them out there.

3. Vendors also like people who have too much money they don't know the difference any longer between $1,000 and $50,000 - these are the vendors selling "collectors pieces".

4. Some vendors use shiny Pythons, Colt SAA 1st gens, or Class III stuff to attract folks to their tables - they aren't necessarily looking to off-load their really good stuff, unless someone really, really wants it.

5. There are a few folks who just like their junk more than they like money - maybe buy/sell guns more as a hobby.

6. Last, but not least, some buyers don't realize that the market value of many guns has gone up - they may think prices are out of line when (sometimes) they really aren't.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:30 AM   #34
Rifleman1776

Thanks for all the responses.
I was really hoping for a dealer to explain the high price situation and why they complain when sales are slow.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:41 AM   #35
Skans

Quote:
I was really hoping for a dealer to explain the high price situation and why they complain when sales are slow.
You mean the guy who has shooter-grade S&W 38 spc. revolvers from the 1970's, one Colt Series 80 1911, and a rack of sporterized Mauser-action rifles? Yeah, that guy doesn't use the internet, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for him to respond!
Old December 10, 2012, 01:47 PM   #36
BrittB

I went to a show this past weekend and found each and every one of the complaints listed on this forum. There was some deals to be found but they were few and far between! One of the hot items seemed to be things related to Makarov caliber stuff. I guess $200 pistols are the next hot thing!
Old December 11, 2012, 10:43 AM   #37
Gaerek

I went to a gun show over the weekend and actually did see one good deal. It was a Sig SP2022 with night sights for $420. Typical price of the 2022 locally without night sights is around that. I already own (well, my wife does) one and I don't particularly like how the gun feels, so I didn't pick it up.

The other thing I noticed was the guy I usually buy my ammo from raised his prices by about 10%. I had bought 1000 rounds of 9mm from him last month for about $185 after tax. This weekend, I bought another 1000 rounds of 9mm for around $205 after tax. His booth was really busy. I asked him what was going on, and he said most people are worried Oba...errr the president is going to do something to make ammo scarce. He said it's been great for business, but he thought most people were a bit foolish. I just told him I wanted to shoot, lol.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:44 AM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

When I go to a gun show I'm looking for very specific items that are not generally in dealers cases because they've been out of production for years.

My most recent gun show purchases were a Colt Official Police in .38 Special for just under $400 out the door, and a Smith & Wesson 4506-1, also for just under $400 OTD.

Most of my guns these days are coming from Gun Broker, like my S&W 12-2 snub and my Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:06 PM   #39
reynolds357

I quit going to gun shows ten years ago for the reasons listed. I have a local dealer who will sell me any firearm on his computer for $25 over his cost if I am willing to wait for his regular order or $25 over plus shipping if I just have to have it right then.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:09 AM   #40
johnwilliamson062

A lot of small gun shops around me that started or expanded in the last few years when prices were ridiculously high. Look at how many companies have added production now though. I hear Kel Tec is in the process of DOUBLING their production.

The dealers want 2008 prices.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:02 AM   #41
Rifleman1776

I was really hoping, perhaps foolishly, to hear from dealers with an explanation of their pricing policies. Oh, well.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:00 AM   #42
johnwilliamson062

I have only had one dealer tell me their pricing policies.

Once a dealer didn't even want to explain his consignment policies to me. Jaw dropper.

At gun shows wheeling and dealing is part of it, so they do have to sort of start high.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:28 AM   #43
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I was really hoping, perhaps foolishly, to hear from dealers with an explanation of their pricing policies.
Dealers at gun shows will have different strategies and circumstances than brick-and-mortar dealers, mostly because gun show dealers won't be there to support the product or to take the heat for questionable pricing.

That's not to throw all, or even most, of those folks under the bus. Free market and all. Still, a guy with a fixed storefront has to think (and act) in the long term, and his reputation matters to him.

Joe Bob selling Glock mags for $70 before THE BAN is just out to make a quick buck, and he doesn't have to worry such things.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:47 AM   #44
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
I was really hoping, perhaps foolishly, to hear from dealers with an explanation of their pricing policies. Oh, well.
Ascertain the highest possible price bordering on insult. Then add 10%.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #45
9mmsnoopy

Here in Houston the gun show prices are still better than the store prices in most cases, but i agree with the poster who said there may be an oversaturation of gun shows, there is a major show in Houston every weekend this month and i expect todays will be packed after the tragic events of friday morning.
Bushmaster AR15
Old December 15, 2012, 01:21 PM   #46
FairWarning

The only reason I used to go to gun shows often was for the vast selection of rare/interesting guns. Now that you can find those items cheaper online and pay no taxes, the appeal of gun shows is much less than before.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:19 AM   #47
Come and take it.

Gun shows aren't what they used to be.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:02 AM   #48
thedudeabides

Gun shows are like ATM fees at strip clubs.

Once you have a jones for something they know they have you--and make you pay extra to get it.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:37 PM   #49
PetahW

I have personally known five different New England gunshow dealers, for over the past 25 years (before then, I was unconsious), and they all differ in their pricing policies - just as do their personalities.

Each pricing policy, however, is based upon their "costs", beit simply the cost of ontaining whatever to resell, or including the costs of doing business to attend a show, like table rental, meals, fuel, lodging, etc.

One dealer just does shows, has never had a brick/mortar store, doesn't frequent the web, and usually has a 35% markup on firearms, 50% on direct firearm accessories, and 25% on shooting/hunting accessories.

Two dealers have both brick/mortar stores, and both have websites - and both sell firearms only, initially priced at a $100% markup.

The last two dealers also have brick/mortar stores, one sells only firearms, and both have a 75% markup on firearms.

I like gunshows, because I USE them - as a venue for selling selected firearms, usually to various gunshow FFL's, and sometimes to another private party (always careful to transfer any sale through an FFL), that I would otherwise find difficult to sell by other means.

I've always bought my guns inexpensively, and so have been always able to at least double or triple (sometimes more) my $$$, even by selling to a gunshow dealer, who must then get their "bite of the apple".

A gunshow isn't a panacea, though, since (like anything else) different firearms are popular/not in different markets/areas of the USA.

I only buy a firearm at a gunshow, when I spot, and/or can haggle for, a bargain ( I do DO my homework).

Last edited by PetahW; December 16, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:40 PM   #50
sserdlihc

Went to the gunshow in Greenville S.C. today looking for a few things, prices seemed high. In comparison to Academy sports. Which is now my only LGS and it is 30 miles away from me. Case and point, looked at a Walther PPQ 40 caliber at Academy and they wanted $549.99 plus tax. At the gunshow, they had them anywhere from $599 to $659. On a side note, I didn't see alot of people buying or filling out paper work for firearms. Maybe they were seeing the same things I was.