The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Prof Young

Reloading bench and . . . What else?

Loaders:
My reloading bench is also my fly tying space. Anyone else doing double duty in their loading space?
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 29, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Pretty much dedicated to reloading and storage of related items. Next bench over, a retired home made loading bench, now holds a drill press, a vise, a grinder and a Lyman Lubesizer. A little more versatile.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Hog Buster

Load in my shop. My bench is pretty much dedicated to hand loading and storage for same. Also have bench for casting. Both pretty loaded up, but both have wheels so I can move them to service my tank....
Old July 29, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
lamarw

I am blessed and have a very large room as a work area. I have three of the old Lowe's wood work benches attached together along one wall. It has pretty much become my reloading bench and has two turret presses and two shotshell reloaders mounted on it. I also have three sizes of vices and two ultrasonic cleaners on this enlarged bench. The vises are used for whatever comes along and the ultrasonic units are used mostly for antique clock parts and movement cleaning. I have another very large work bench on the other side of the room which is mainly used for restoration work on clock cases. It has also been used occassionaly for furniture and gun stock restoration. At another end of the room I have a small bench dedicated for gun cleaning. In the center of the room directly below a large florecent light fixture is a beautiful antique watch maker's bench. It is a much higer bench and allows intricate and close to the eye work. I use it specifically for the diassembly and reassembly of clock movements.

My wife claims I can get lost for hours in my quasi man cave. This room is also connected to our home's back-up generator in case of a power outage.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Fish_Scientist

Actually, my bench does triple duty. I reload on it, tie flies after removing the press (attached with wing nuts), and use the bench to clean my guns. For a while, I was using my desk for tying and cleaning, but with my computer and work/research stuff on the top, my desk was getting cluttered. We live in a small place so I built a portable bench so that it can be stored out of the way if necessary.

Eventually, I hope to have enough space to dedicate a different bench for each purpose ith room to spare for a shop/garage, but that's likely far in the future.

Fish
Old July 30, 2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Chinny33

Reloading Amenities

These are indirectly correlated to reloading, but to me, very necessary.

Bright overhead lights
Fan [especially in a garage in the summer]
Shop Vac
Air Compressor
Very comfortable chair or stool
Radio [time goes by so quickly]
Proverbs 27:12
Old July 30, 2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Sport45

Mine is a workbench that occasionally has a reloading press bolted to it.
Old July 30, 2011, 04:45 AM   #8
Jim243

Nope, just reloading.

Jim
Old July 30, 2011, 06:53 AM   #9
homesick

Just reloading on my bench if something breaks I call an expert to fix it (my sons) I love this senior thing and am learning to use it well.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:14 AM   #10
smith357

My two 8 foot benches always have multiple projects going at any one time. My loading gear is made up to clamp in my main bench vise, when not in use they sit in racks on the wall.

Old July 30, 2011, 07:20 AM   #11
riverwalker76

You might try the Lee Bench Plate kit. I gave it a try since I was tired of bolting and unbolting all of my presses and equipment to the same bench. With the Bench Plate kit from Lee I don't have that problem.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:27 AM   #12
PawPaw

My bench does everything. Reloading, woodworking, mechanic-ing, helping grandkids with experiments. Right now it's recharging a battery. Lots of memories on that bench. Sometimes I can stand at the bench and look at the stains and nicks and dings and the memories are so thick that I have to brush them away from my face like gnats. It's about six feet long on each wing, a big "L" shaped bench made of construction lumber in the garage. During large family gatherings it's where the men hang-out and it's even done triple duty as an overflow dinner table.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 30, 2011, 08:04 AM   #13
SurplusShooter

My bench is dedicated all to reloading its a safety thing I have.
Old July 30, 2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Wag

Mine is an old desk with a press attached to it in my garage. It tends to accumulate crap between loading sessions. Never have figured out where this "stuff" magically appears from. . . . As a result, of course, I have to clear it before loading again.

Very compact space but it forces me to stay neat during a loading session, even if the session lasts for several days. Everything is stored in a metal cabinet above the load space and goes back when I'm done.

Works well, so far!

--Wag--
Old July 30, 2011, 08:37 AM   #15
CPTMurdoc30

My bench is used for a little bit of everything. I reload on it. refinish stocks and blue gun parts. Work on my lawn equipment, bang my head because I am father to two teenagers.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:51 AM   #16
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTMurdoc30
My bench is used for a little bit of everything. I reload on it. refinish stocks and blue gun parts. Work on my lawn equipment, bang my head because I am father to two teenagers.
That's funny right there. I hope you're laughing too, but I feel your pain.

--Wag--
Old July 30, 2011, 11:17 AM   #17
zippy13

I don't have a dedicated loading bench. I have 5 loaders (Dillon + 4 MECs) and all are on portable stands. I can load in front of the TV, outside on a nice day or, like last time, in my buddy's garage in the next town.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Superdave70_02

Mine is an old metal desk and also serves multiple duty such as gun cleaning, refinishing, dura coating, and getting away from the wife for a bit.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:58 AM   #19
Prof Young

And . . .

Wag:
I had five teenagers at once! I survived. They survived too. One is an LEO with the feds. You'll survive too. Hang in there.

And I forgot to note that my reloading bench, along with fly tying is also where I build fishing rods.

Due to the heat I haven't done much shooting this summer and reloaded until I am about out of brass. Need to get to the range.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 1, 2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
Wag:
I had five teenagers at once! I survived. They survived too. One is an LEO with the feds. You'll survive too. Hang in there.

And I forgot to note that my reloading bench, along with fly tying is also where I build fishing rods.

Due to the heat I haven't done much shooting this summer and reloaded until I am about out of brass. Need to get to the range.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
I'm the oldest of ten kids. Indeed, I helped to raise a few of the youngest ones, to be sure. Mom and Dad spent much time out of the house, probably getting a hotel room and . . .

. . . getting some sleep.

It should be little surprise to learn that my wife and I do NOT have any children!

--Wag--