The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2002, 10:59 PM   #1
NIGHTWATCH

Slug Distance

Whats the farthest target you have managed to hit with a slug? I have never gone beyond 100 yards but I have heard hits as far as 300 yards. Anybody?
Old September 3, 2002, 04:52 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Back when my hair wasn't mostly white, I shot with friends at a home range nearby. We had a beer keg set up at 130 yards, as far as we could shoot there. Used it like a gong. To hit with a slug, we had to aim at the top to hit low, near the middle.

At a Redneck Jamboree a few years ago, we kept a steel gong dancing at 110 yds. Same deal.

Max distance for slugs has improved with the advances made in slugs and slug guns. However, it will never be a long range tool as we understand them.
Old September 3, 2002, 05:53 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I read an article by a Famous Gunwriter a few years back who stated that slugs became unstable after 150 yards. I had problems with this ond decided to zing a few at our 225y gong.

I had a Scattergn Tech 870 with their ghost ring sights at the time. Hitting the gong with slugs was not hard once holdover and windage was determined by walking the rounds in. IIRC, there was quite a drop from my 75 yard zero - two feet sticks in my mind.

I think 300 yards may be doable, but the individual slug would be key. Drop should be pretty steep.

HTH
Old September 3, 2002, 12:57 PM   #4
Mo_Zam_Beek

220 yrds
Old September 5, 2002, 08:17 PM   #5
Mannlicher

I have not felt comfortable in hunting with slugs past 100, or 125 yards. Fun shooting is one thing, bring home the bacon, so to speak, is another. I try to give myself the best advantage possible at ranges that far or beyond. A rifle is what I use then.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 6, 2002, 10:00 AM   #6
Bullwinkle

About 200 with a 590, Winchester full boat slugs, 5 gal gas can (empty).

Hold off to the side of the target and line up elevation relative to _the_bottom_ of the orange insert in the front sight. Slide over to cover the target with the sight and squeeze.

"Sonny, anybody with his gears meshed wants to be free, doesnt matter what sex or age, and freedom always calls for a little hardware."
Lucy Kropotkin
Old September 6, 2002, 02:18 PM   #7
Bruce626

A few months ago I had the opportunity to score COM hits on a man-sized target from five different firing sites/positions, e.g., prone in pillbox, kneeling behind wall, etc.... at ranges from 114 yds down to 100 yds or so.

I was doing this with a 18.5" cyl bore mossberg 500 with bead sight using Fed Premium 1oz slugs.

My favorite was up in a tree, hanging on for dear life, trying to avoid recoil-induced, bark-shredded skin while hitting the target 114 yds away. The phrase "tree-hugger" has a whole new meaning for me now.

First time I'd ever fired a shotgun at anything over 100 yds away, so this was great fun.