The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
johnw63

Northern Illinois Gun Shows: Any good for Powder or Primers?

The Chicagoland Outdoors Show is coming up the end of January, followed by some guns shops in Princeton, IL and Kane and DuPage County. I'm looking to pick up some Powder and Primers and save on the Haz-Mat fee ($25 each shipment) by buying at a local show. Has anyone had experience buying Powder or Primers at the gun shows in Northern Illinois? My fear is that they will have stock, but it will be priced so high as to not make it economical. If they are price goouging to the point where it costs as much as from Wideners or Powder Valley even with the Haz-Mat fee, I'd almost rather order from them online rather than give in to price gougers.

Any feedback is welcomed. Also, anybody know good suppliers in the Chicagoland Area? I've even thought of making the 2 hour drive to Kempf's in Indiana, but would prefer something closer to the West Suburbs.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:54 PM   #2
flycaster

What kind of powder are you looking for, and where do you live?

Chuck
Old January 20, 2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Jim243

John, go to GATS Guns in East Dundee, IL,just north of Elgin on Route 25, they will have your primers and powder for a reasonable price. Skip the DuPage gun show not worth it, but Kane County is a good one to go to. I usually go to look for brass, but it is an interesting gun show.

Jim
Wood Dale, IL
Old January 20, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
whitedogone

If you're ever get down to Peoria there is a shop down here that is a LOT cheaper than up north. They have limited supplies on certain items like everybody lately. But they do have quite a bit. I have ordered from this place: http://www.kempfgunshop.com/ I'm not sure how far they are from ya of how they are on comps but you might give them a try.