The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 13, 2000, 07:31 PM   #1
tyro

Dave: Today I got my new 20ga 870 Youth Deer Gun (with rifled barrel). The dealer let me test fire it at his place with Winchester SUPER SPEED GAME LOAD #8 shot (22 GRAM 1275 FPS), and some yellow shells with only #5 marked on them (he recommended the latter for HD and gave me 6 such shells to bring home). Both of the 2 different shells (#8 and #5) were spread so widely that much was off the silhouette board at 15 feet, and the portion of the shot that stayed on the silhouette was very widely distributed throughout the entire form. The dealer said that this is adequate for home defense, because it would make an intruder "stand up" and decide to leave my home. He said his 12ga 18" HD weapon fires as wide a spread as what mine fired today. That is not what I have been led to think is adequate by what I have read on this and other internet sites (but of course I really am a tyro and may not have understand rightly what I have read). I wonder if you could recommed some loads for me to test (when I find a place to do more testing) in an effort to ascertain the best shot shell for HD with this gun. I already have 20 boxes of Federal 7/8 oz. shot, #7 1/2 shot (2 1/2 DRAM EQ - "Small Game and Dove Load"), which I ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt, and which I have not yet had a chance to test fire for spread/pattern.
Old July 14, 2000, 06:05 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check your E mail...
Old July 14, 2000, 09:02 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Go with larger shot if your gun is scattering like that.

Remember, though, that most HD scenarios will take place anywhere from a few inches to a few feet.

My home shotgun is loaded with Remington No. 4 buckshot. 27 pellets, nearly 1.5 times the payload weight and double the energy of 00 buck loads.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old July 14, 2000, 09:09 AM   #4
ohen cepel

I like 00buck or #4's for HD. Depending on how much I need to worry about over penetration.

I think you may want to get another barrel with screw in chokes (or the one choke you want). The rifle barrel is going to throw the shot wild and loose, as you have seen.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old July 14, 2000, 12:05 PM   #5
Hueco

Dude, if you are going to be shooting shot with that rifled barrel, invest in a set of screw-in chokes NOW. Briley if possible. Pattern your gun at about 5 yards, you'll see the problem. I have to ask, why did you get a rifled bbl?

Hueco
Old July 14, 2000, 12:32 PM   #6
tyro

Hueco: I'm embarrassed to say, it was haste on the part of a dealer who was eager to get my trade-in gun (I told him I wanted an 870 youth gun, and so he picked the rifled barrel model out of a sales catalog that did not feature an unrifled model); and ignorance and naivity on my part in not finding out facts about a rifled barrel before accepting the deal. Now I'm in a quandry wondering whether to get an unrifled barrel for this gun ($145 from Remington - same barrel without the rifling); or do the best I can to find the least problematic load for this gun as is; .....or... go back to a 12ga, only this time in an 870 rather than the side-by-side I traded for the Youth Deer Express ('Really not sure I want to do the latter; however, the 12ga I traded was not as rough a kicker as this 20ga - ...considerations of cost, and IS THERE ANY REAL ADVANTAGE TO THE 12 OVER THE 20 FOR IN HOUSE HD?). I'm wide open for opinions and/or advice. I knew I was a tyro to start with, but am rather shagrined to have manifested yet again also a certain naivity & impulsivity I seem destined to not outgrow (at age 67).
Old July 14, 2000, 03:00 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Tyro,

At household defensive distances the rifled barrel is NOT going to make that much of a difference with buckshot. Yes, it will disburse smaller shot more, but the effect is not going to be all that great.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old July 14, 2000, 04:47 PM   #8
curious

sorry to interrupt your thread but what is a tyro?

curious

[This message has been edited by curious (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old July 14, 2000, 05:17 PM   #9
tyro

"tyro" is a Latin word meaning: a beginner in learning: a novice.
Closed Thread