The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 1, 2011, 10:19 AM   #1
zenner22

How to Custom Fit Grips?

I picked up some Colt Python grips at a good price. They are checkered walnut, appear genuine. My Python was made in the early 90's. The left panel fits perfect. The right panel doesn't. When the bottom part of the grip is pushed into the grip frame, the top angles outward. When both halves of the grips are placed together off the revolver, they line up, so it doesn't appear the panel is warped or anything. I'd heard some Python grips needed to be fit to the frame, so I got out some sandpaper and started going at it on the back of the grip, where it is supposed to fit at the top of the grip frame.

So I'm sanding for a bit, then more, then more and I finally decided I'd better stop. The fit seems a bit better, but still is not where it should be. So before I do any more damage, anyone have any tips on how to sand and custom fit revolver grips? Is there a website or something? I'm not even positive I'm sanding in the right spot... I'm not all that mechanically inclined, perhaps I should have left them alone?
Old July 5, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
GURU1911

PYTHON FAN

Install a set of rubber hogue monogrips on your "snake" & be done with all the hassle. I have this grip on my colt python, diamondback, & model 29 smith. You will love what they do best, when you press the "go" lever !!!!!!!

Guru1911----fan of colt's big snakes since 1977 !!!!!

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old July 5, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3
SurplusShooter

I would continue the fitting process as you have been.