The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 9, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Firepower!

How do you rate Micro Uzi?

Hi
Based upon your experiences, how do you rate or what are your reviews on Micro Uzi?

I am considering to buy one for vehicle.
Thanks
Old May 9, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

I'll wait to see the more-knowlegable responses, but I think that in many cases, you couldn't use an NFA gun in the same manner you would use a "regular" gun. For instance, I don't think you can carry a full-auto pistol concealed, even if you have a concealed-carry permit.

So, I don't know if a full-auto weapon would be a good choice for a "truck gun". (And considering what full-autos cost, I'd be hesitant to leave one unattended anywhere but in a locked safe.)
Old May 9, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3
RichC

Micro Uzi's are available in semi-auto as well. They are not necessarily NFA items.

I have one in 9mm semi-auto. It is reasonably compact, but by no means small. I can hit a plate at 50' quite easily. What I like most about it are the 25 and 32 round mags. It can hold a LOT of ammo.

Mine has never jammed. It is very reliable and solidly built. It is not terribly concealable, but I have seen small pouches designed to carry one and some extra mags.

Personally I like the gun. I like the history behind it. It is an interesting piece.

Best,

Rich
Old May 9, 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
fisherman66

Scott, this gentleman does not reside in the US.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:23 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

Ah - missed that totally. Thanks!
Old May 9, 2010, 09:01 PM   #6
PTK

Also, some states do actually allow MGs and other NFA for concealed carry, Montana being one of those.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Crosshair

One thing I have heard about them is that the rate of fire is just too dammed fast, 1250 rounds per minute, making controlled FA fire difficult. It's apparently hard to squeeze off less than 5-6 rounds per trigger pull. Resulting in excessive recoil and emptying magazines quite quickly.

I believe that someone has made a kit for the Micro-Uzi that cuts the rate of fire a bit but I don't know where or if you would be able to get one.

For vehicle use, it will put out a lot of lead very quickly, but don't expect any sort of accuracy beyond someone at your window if you're shooting one handed with the stock folded. In a panic you'll probably put a few bullets through the roof of your car unless you practice a bit.

Not my first choice of weapon for such use, but hardly the worst. If the price is right I'd say get it and see how you like it.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:45 PM   #8
gyvel

Considering that Firepower has already been accosted in his vehicle in traffic, a micro-UZI might not be a bad choice. I would also consider a MAC 10/11 in 9mm, or, if you can afford the ammo (and it's readily available), a MAC 11 in .380.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:44 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I think you need a driver...
Old May 10, 2010, 03:36 AM   #10
Crosshair

Quote:
Considering that Firepower has already been accosted in his vehicle in traffic, a micro-UZI might not be a bad choice. I would also consider a MAC 10/11 in 9mm, or, if you can afford the ammo (and it's readily available), a MAC 11 in .380.
Yup, my biggest issue is the very high rate of fire that the Micro-Uzi has. I wish I could find who made the ROF reducer that I had read about a long time ago.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Willie Lowman

I would lean toward the Mini rather than the Micro. Both have incredibly high rates of fire but the Mini gives a little bit more gun to hold on to for control.

However, if all you want is a small reliable machine pistol that will put out a wall of lead, the Micro is a good choice. I would go with it before any of the Mac type guns.

Firepower, are you looking at an open bolt or closed bolt version?
Old May 10, 2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Crosshair

Quote:
Firepower, are you looking at an open bolt or closed bolt version?
Good point. A closed bolt version would be a bit safer to carry in the car than an open bolt.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:05 PM   #13
MrM4

to fast to do much other then a few quick burst, fire rate is simulare to M11 with a mac Jack. Never Fired a MIcro but I have been next to them on the line they seem to be a close in tool / buzz gun. A mini would be more fitting for common LE dutys the Micro has very limited "useful" applications.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:51 PM   #14
Firepower!

Thank.
Well the cost will be roughly 8000 USD here. I am leaning towards Micro since I have never seen a Mini around here. There are tons of MP5K, but for some reason I like Micro. I would prefer it in closed bolt, but not sure what I will get my hands on as they are very rare to in market to begin with. MACs are good but not available at all here. The only other option that is available is CZ75Auto, but somehow I feel Micro out classes it
Old May 11, 2010, 04:08 PM   #15
Firepower!

Got the full size UZI...still after the Micro. Its become a must have, but for some reason its so rare here.

Here is a picture of UZI:

Old May 11, 2010, 05:43 PM   #16
PTK

That is a very nice example, indeed!
Old May 11, 2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Crosshair

The sad thing is that $8,000 for a Micro is still cheaper than what someone here in the US could get one for legally.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:52 PM   #18
Firepower!

Brother, I feel for you. I think depriving us guys of these toys is just criminal in itself. I am afraid we in PK is also heading towards a complete full auto ban eventually.

Both of us have price distortion, like we pay 3000-4000 USD for any decent semi auto and ammo cost is like a buck for a bullet. There is a trade off depending on where you live.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:31 AM   #19
Firepower!

I have found one Micro, but at close inspection it turned that it is a converted from semi version.

Whats your view on that?
Old May 12, 2010, 06:26 AM   #20
gyvel

Firepower, it seems to me that you mentioned having a Stechkin. no? Why don't you carry that in your car?
Old May 12, 2010, 09:42 AM   #21
PTK

If the conversion functions as an open-bolt conversion, it most likely will not be drop safe unless done correctly. I would not purchase such an Uzi unless having a chance to test-fire it first.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Firepower!

gyvl: Yes I have a stechkin. I dont carry it because it is some what of a rarity these days to find one in the condition like the one I have. I might consider buying another and do that.

PTK: What if it is a closed bolt?
Old May 12, 2010, 01:41 PM   #23
Willie Lowman

Quote:
it most likely will not be drop safe unless done correctly.
Are you saying a semi to full auto conversion would remove the grip safety and/or loosen the top cover? In all the Uzis (IMI conversion) I have seen, if the bolt is back and the gun is on safe, the bolt cannot close unless the top cover is loose, thus allowing the bolt to ride over the sear pads. Is there some hidden danger that I am not aware of?

Firepower, the main advantage of the closed bolt Micro is that you could have a round in the chamber with the bolt closed, whereas an open bolt must have the bolt back to be ready to fire. With the bolt back there is the possibility of dirt or other debris entering the gun, the closed bolt gun would not have that problem.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:49 PM   #24
Firepower!

Willie
I agree with your assessment on the closed bolt. It is certianly a better option for what I want it for.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:56 PM   #25
PTK

Willie Lowman,

Crappy craftsmanship can result in a conversion that is only marginally safe, is all. Local gunsmiths can range from artists to complete idiots, over there.

Firepower!,

Closed bolt SMG conversion? I'd like to see how they ended up doing that safely without adding a bunch of parts that would have been custom-made for the job.

Tags
9mm , 9mm smg , micro uzi , smg , uzi