The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old December 3, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Jynx92
Registration in progress

Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle vs AR 15

I'm torn between an AR 15 and a Ruger Mini 14 to recieve for christmas. My main purpose will be Appleseed, ie target shooting. It needs to be relieable because the program has us shooting approx 500 rounds a day in rain or shine... mud or grass. Also, accuracy is important. So for those of you who can speak from experience: which should is better for these needs?
Old December 3, 2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Ruger4570

In MY personal experience after owning 3 different Mini 14's, I never found one that would shoot much less than a 3" group at 100 yards One shot worse. There is a "new" mini made that is "supposed" to be more accurate than the past ones. I have already had 3 that don't shoot so I am not going to be one of the test people. The Mini is certainly a dependable rifle and runs like a clock, I just never got one that would shoot as well as most of my 22 rim fire guns, so that ain't saying much for the Mini. Just in case, look at my screen name if you think I am a Ruger basher..
In your circumstance, I think you will be FAR better of with one of the AR platforms. I am looking for one too, with a mini for trade in value.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
ThreeStepsAhead

Mini-14. After about 100 rounds the AR-15 will gunk up and stuff.

Good luck-

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old December 3, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Alleykat

This is a joke, right?

Quote:

Good luck-
Old December 3, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
DaveInPA

Quote:

Good luck-
WHAT?
Old December 3, 2008, 07:32 PM   #6
FireForged

A Mini-14 is reliable but its only good if you are only going to fire a few rounds at a med range and med size target.

If you plan on shooting 100 plus rounds in one sitting, you will not be able to hit a barn after the 90th round.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:46 PM   #7
STEINER

Use your plastic and get both.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Deaf Smith

The Mini-14 is a good low to medium volume rifle. It is not made to shoot 100 rounds as fast as you can (but then why would you need that much inaccurate fire?)

The AR, as presently made, is pretty reliable as long as some basic maintenance is done every 200 rounds or so. I used to be a Mini fanatic, but I've come around to the AR platform.

That does not mean the Mini is a bad gun. It's kind of like the M1 Carbine. Good shooter but newer weapons do outclass it.

But for those folks here who like conventional style rifles, don't plan on unloading more than 20 rounds per minute (and if you aim, that will do fine), then the Mini-14 will do well.

Only one catch with the Mini. Ruger won't release any firing pins and a few oher parts to gunsmiths. If you need one, you have to ship the rifle back to them. The AR has no such problems.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:53 PM   #9
jakeswensonmt

Quote:
After about 100 rounds the AR-15 will gunk up and stuff.
I've shot a lot more than that at a sitting, without a fail. Give it a squirt of CLP in the ejection port every 500 and it'll run dirty and reliable.

Last summer when they were $4.99/20, I burned through a ton of PMC's, the AR ate 'em and smiled. Not as good as the Black Hills stuff, but just fine for range time.

Last edited by jakeswensonmt; December 3, 2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:15 PM   #10
kraigwy

I dont know about the newer Mini 14s. My experiecne with the older models was not so hot.

Years ago when Anchorag PD desided to have a swat team (we called them CRT). I did the rifle training. The Cpt desided he wanted Mini 14s ,(solly because the Alaska State Troopers were using M16s). I took them to the range. I had problems getting any of them to qualify with the Mini's. It wasnt the shooters because when I brought out M16s from the AKNG marksmanship unit, there was no problem.

Not only was the Minis not as accurate as the M16s they werent as reliable. Plus Police Departments can get M16s pretty cheap from the Defence department.

I've played with Mini 14s before and since, and still find them lacking.

Take Note; that was about 25 years ago, I dont know what they are like now.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 3, 2008, 08:18 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:

Good luck-
Now that is news to me.

I like the Mini, but if you want a weapons system, go AR. Ruger won't sell you firing pins because they want to make sure it's fitted to the gun. Ruger won't sell you a bolt either. That also has to be fitted. By contrast, it's easy to get another firing pin or bolt for an AR. To work on a Ruger, you have to have quite a number of tools and some of them are specialized. There are specialized tools for ARs, but you can buy them anywhere unlike Ruger which restricts the sale of tools (because of liability, they'd rather a factory warranty station work on your gun).

Magazines? Well, you can now get factory 20 rounders, but factory 30 rounders are virtually impossible to get. Not so with the AR and you can pick your brand. Hundred round Beta mags (twin drums) are available for both guns (as are 90 rounders).

The AR is very easy to work on, tools are readily available, barrel changes are easy and changing the configuration is easy too (swap uppers). You can't do that with the Ruger.

If I could only have one, it would be the AR. It's more versatile. By changing the upper, you can have a 22 LR (you also have to have a 22 LR bolt), pistol caliber carbine, varmint rifle, carbine or rifle. You can't do that with an AR.

BTW, the Mini-14 is not as accurate as the AR. Gas-impingment systems like the AR have fewer moving parts and there's fewer things that affect the harmonics of the gun. Not so with the Mini-14 which has a bolt handle that slides up and down the receiver with the bolt.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:25 PM   #12
ThreeStepsAhead

I didn't say it was an awful system, the system gets gunky! The more gunk has always directly equated into less reliability.

I'd rather have a mini for target shooting.

Old December 3, 2008, 08:47 PM   #13
rogertc1

I vote for the AR 15.
The Ruger Mini is goofy in my opinion, cheaply made, inaccurate, and over priced.
If you want a 14 get a Springfield 1A1. They are .308 and accurate.

Roger
Old December 3, 2008, 08:52 PM   #14
sholling

I own two Mini-14s and an AR15. The guy saying that an AR will gunk up and stop is blowing smoke. The US Military does not issue weapons that gunk up and stop every 100rds. Both are very reliable rifles, but the Mini is not what you want for an Appleseed. It's just not accurate enough during sustained fire. It'll finish the weekend fine, but as the barrel heats up it'll start stringing shots. Honestly for an Appleseed you should be using a 10/22 with Tech-Sights.

If you were looking for a reliable non-threatening truck gun for light duty plinking or predator control I'd say get the Mini. If you were looking for a heavy duty reasonably accurate plinker, truck gun, or self defense tool I'd say get the AR15. For Appleseed and cheap plinking get a 10/22, and then grab an AR after the panic subsides and the prices come back down.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:57 PM   #15
lomaxanderson

AR 15 without a second thought

...had a mini years ago and wasn't happy with the accuracy...AR 's will out perform any mini you can finid...Reliable as the day is long....one littlle bottle of clp and keep it "wet" you will find it will run as long as you want to shoot it ...I'd put my AR's up aginst anything short of a 308...bolt of course

Mason Rhea Gsd

Last edited by lomaxanderson; December 3, 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: missed a"n"
Old December 3, 2008, 08:59 PM   #16
gretske

Sholling speaks the truth

Right now, everything AR from stripped lowers to ammo is sky high and hard to find. So, if you want to bang, (or plink) a lot, get a .22. But, for a good all around reliable machine, get a decent AR, or build your own. What is really great about the AR is the endless variety of do-dads you can get and the different ways you can configure it. Get a 16“ upper for home protection, and a 24” for long range target shooting.

Go AR and you'll never go back!
Old December 3, 2008, 09:00 PM   #17
thallub

Get an AR 15. Owned a Mini 14 in the 70s. That thing would not shoot as well as a mediocre SKS. Every one I have shot since I got rid of that one has re-confirmed my low opinion of Mini 14s.
Old December 3, 2008, 09:01 PM   #18
RT

AR-15. It is a accurate and reliable design just keep a bottle of CLP with you.
Try "googling"- Camp Perry rifle- and see what those folks are using.
Too bad you didn't decide to buy your AR before the election. Good luck finding one now.
Old December 3, 2008, 09:03 PM   #19
ThreeStepsAhead

For serious... You're telling me that after 100 rounds the AR system is not gunked up... That is news to all of you... What am I doing at this forum... Holy Crap...

I got it, a little CLP, yadda yadda yadda...still shoots, trust me, I KNOW. Still a dirty weapon and if you got a choice for some target competition I'd take the mini-

Old December 3, 2008, 09:07 PM   #20
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
For serious... You're telling me that after 100 rounds the AR system is not gunked up... That is news to all of you... What am I doing at this forum... Holy Crap...
like totally for serious yO!!!!11111ONEoneone

HOLY CARP!

i'd pick the ar..... partially because of the incredible luck i've had with it, partially because of the bad luck i've had with the mini, and partially to spite this guy ^^^
Old December 3, 2008, 09:11 PM   #21
ThreeStepsAhead

Yea, it's like I'm getting bent over Pulp Fiction style...

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon against me and go buy an AR just to make the sting go away.

Ya'll really like attacking in packs.

Old December 3, 2008, 09:12 PM   #22
MrNiceGuy

i guess there's something about lies and/or misinformation that brings out the pack animals in us

Quote:
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon against me and go buy an AR just to make the sting go away.
post up pics of that ar when you get it
Old December 3, 2008, 09:13 PM   #23
kraigwy

Quote:
Still a dirty weapon and if you got a choice for some target competition I'd take the mini-
I've been shooting highpower for 30+ years, I can count the numbers of Mini 14s I've seen on the range on one hand and have 4 fingers and a thumb left over.

Look down the line a Perry and see how many ARs you see.

I wont even address the 100 rounds to gunk up an AR bs. And I'm not talking about my 3rd cousin on my wifes side, who had an uncle who knew someone who told him about M16s in Vietnam, cause thats where I got my CIB.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 3, 2008, 09:20 PM   #24
ThreeStepsAhead

I will NEVER EVER use another ballpark number... such things like hundred mile-an-hour tape and the similar be damned!

I'd rather have the M14. They didn't give us our CABs for shooting, we had to get an IED, RPG, etc. Gotta love it-

Sorry about the thread hijack!

Old December 3, 2008, 09:30 PM   #25
TPAW

[QUOTE] It needs to be relieable because the program has us shooting approx 500 rounds a day in rain or shine... mud or grass. Also, accuracy is important.(QUOTE]

AR 15. But good luck finding one. You may or may not know, but there has been a run on firearms due to Obamaism.
Closed Thread

Tags
ar15 , mini , ranch , ruger , versus