The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
landlord

checking for false info

You can reload 30-30 and 06 with the same dies. And the same with 45acp and 45 lc. I haven't and want to see if I was given false, if not dangerous info?
Old October 22, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Recoiljunky

i could see one sharing seating dies between the two but sizing dies are a defenet no.
Old October 22, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
landlord

For the rifles or the pistols?
Old October 22, 2013, 05:31 PM   #4
TATER

I run into situations like this when one or both parties are not using proper terminology.
Now, 30-30, 30-06 and .308 all share the same bullet which is .308 diameter.
All so, .45 acp. And .45 colt share the same, (with exceptions) which is .451 diameter.
Bullets are not Cartridges and Cartridges are not Bullets…. Are you sure the two of you were on the same page?
Was he talk'en bullets and you talk'en dies. Just a thought.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:02 PM   #5
landlord

Reload 30-30 & 06 with the same dies, and 45acp & 45lc with the same dies. Size flare, seat, and crimp.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Jim Watson

You cannot reasonably load .30-30 and .30-06 with the same dies. At least not since SAECO quit making the Stubby dies about 50 years ago.

You could load .45 Colt with .45 ACP dies if you had to, but it would be tough. Not the other way around.

.45 Colt and .45 ACP use the same diameter bullets, or near enough for any but the most timid internet expert, but there are differences that you would have to handle if you felt like you just must.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7
reynolds357

I would love to see someone run a pice of 06 brass into a .30-30 FL sizer.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:41 PM   #8
landlord

OK then acp could work with lc safely then. But the rifles are one set of dies to one cal. then.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Hawg

Do yourself a favor and get the proper dies for each cartridge.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:55 PM   #10
reynolds357

You cant properly size the lc with the ACP die. You might could make the LC dies work on the ACP, not sure because I have no intention of trying.
Old October 22, 2013, 07:27 PM   #11
landlord

I am doing reloading but was told would work so I thought I would run this past you smart folks before I tried it, which I will not be doing thanks to all of you. Thank you again.
Old October 22, 2013, 11:20 PM   #12
steve4102

Look at it this way.
Will the 30-06 cartridge fit and fire in a 30-30 rifle?

The FL sizing die is basically a slightly undersized rifle chamber. If the cartridge won't fit into the rifle, it won't fit into the dies.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:43 AM   #13
HiBC

IMO.find someone else to get advise from.

Due to the consequences of getting things wrong reloading,just choose the approach of doing things right.Get the right dies.

If budget is an issue,look at Lee Challengers.They will work.With components being as expensive as they are,one small messed up batch of ammo will pay for the dies.

Even the suggestion that you might get away with loading 45 colts with ACP dies has problems.45 ACP has thicker case walls than 45 Colt,etc,etc.

Get a couple of good loading manuals.Read up on the process.Feel free to ask questions! I suggest this question indicates it would be good to get some reloading education via the manuals(to an industry standard) before you spend any more money or pour any powder.

Welcome.
Old October 23, 2013, 10:47 AM   #14
mikld

In an extreme situation an experienced reloader may be able to reload as you suggest. For a new, less experienced reloader, just get the proper dies for each caliber...
Old October 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Valornor

Honestly, I would be tempted to try sizing 45lc dies to size a .45acp case. However I wouldn't try 30-30 in 30-06 dies or vise versa. At worse you are going to get a die stuck in a case. At best you ruin a case. I doubt it is dangerous.
Old October 23, 2013, 10:22 PM   #16
totalloser

You will probably fail if you try to do this. Get the correct dies, and get yourself some handloading books. It is entirely possible to do serious damage to yourself and your hardware without knowing what you are doing. Most folks with some patience and common sense can do it quite safely, but DO NOT listen to self proclaimed experts. I highly recommend Lee's handloading book. It is quite thorough.

Your friend is not savvy enough to weigh in on die sharing (or handloading in general) if he/she did not explicitly explain the challenges of such clearly questionable information.

What you *can* do and what you *should* do may be two different things. These cartridges in question are dramatically different in design, and even with years of handloading and manufacturing my share of custom reloading goodies, I would not consider such an attempt except in a dire emergency.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:24 AM   #17
dahermit

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and get the proper dies for each cartridge.
Quote:
Get the correct dies, and get yourself some handloading books.
And stop listening to that guy in the bar who presents himself as a gun expert.

Local Bar/coffee shop gun expert offerings: "In WWII, the Germans could use American 36-06 ammo in their Mauser rifles, but G.I.'s could not use the German 8MM in M1's."

"The German Mauser had a left-hand twist to compensate for the earth's rotation. The M1 Garand had a right-hand twist, and therefore, was less accurate."
Old October 24, 2013, 11:25 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
You can reload 30-30 and 06 with the same dies. And the same with 45acp and 45 lc. I haven't and want to see if I was given false, if not dangerous info?
You were given FALSE information.

Have you even looked at the cartridges ?

The only thing they have in common is the same caliber bullets, and the same size primers (large).

The only time this kind of thing will work is when the cases are exactly the same in all dimensions, except for length. Like the .38 Special and .357 Magnum, or the .44 Special & .44 Magnum. And even then, you cannot load the shorter cases in dies made for the longer ones. You can load the longer brass in dies made for the shorter cases, by backing out the dies to allow for the longer length. That's it.

The .45ACP and .45 Colt look the same, except for length, at a glance, but they are not. The .45 Colt is a straight case, and the .45acp has a slight taper. This is why the guns that shoot both rounds use a different cylinder for each one.

The only thing you might possibly be able to do with the longer dies and the shorter cases is seat a bullet (there is a lot of adjustment possible with the seating stems). You could also adjust a .45 Colt expander die to flare the case of a .45acp. But, since you CANNOT properly resize the acp case in .45 Colt dies, its a moot point.

Whoever told you this either doesn't know what he's talking about, or deliberately lied to you. Either way, put this guy on your BSing idiot list when it comes to reloading. And pay closer attention to see if he doesn't belong on that list about other things, too.

Also do not buy a bridge from this man!
Old October 24, 2013, 10:07 PM   #19
cheezhed

You can not load a 30-06 case with a .45ACP die either. As stupid as this sounds I was once told ( by a total dunce) that this was possible as they both take the same shell holder. I avoided this person forever. If you want to load a caliber then get a caliber specific die set. there may be some that you can get away with such as 38/357 and 44/44 mag not sure about .45 ACP and .45 auto rim but if you value your results and safety of both you and anyone else in your vicinity just get the right equipment and manuals. Don't listen to your advisor.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:46 AM   #20
TimSr

Quote:
Honestly, I would be tempted to try sizing 45lc dies to size a .45acp case. However I wouldn't try 30-30 in 30-06 dies or vise versa. At worse you are going to get a die stuck in a case. At best you ruin a case. I doubt it is dangerous.
Won't work. 45LC is a straight walled cartridge while 45ACP is tapered.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Won't work. 45LC is a straight walled cartridge while 45ACP is tapered.
The .45 Colt is a straight case and specs 0.480" at the case mouth. The .45ACP is shorter, tapered, specs 0.480" at the rim, 0.476" at the case head, and 0.473" at the case mouth.

You can run a .45acp case into a .45Colt sizer. It may even feel like it is resizing a fired case, depending on how much the fired case expanded. But it isn't going to resize it enough. A .480" die simply does not size a .473" case enough to load it properly.
Old October 27, 2013, 09:33 PM   #22
bedbugbilly

You don't say if you reload or not but I'll pass along the same advice I was given by experienced reloaders when I was asking questions before starting . . . buy a good reloading manual and read it before you start - it will show you cartridge dimensions and loading data - buy the correct dies for the individual cartridges you are going to load - don't "guess" and don't take "short cuts" - start at the minimum and don't ever exceed the maximum - there is a reason for everything that is done in reloading and safety is the first good reason."

To be honest . . . if someone made that claim to me - my response would be a simple "why would you even want to?" If I had the money to have two rifles - one a 30-30 and the other a 30-06 or two pistols - a 45 acp and a 45 Colt Long . . . then I guess I could afford a die set for each cartridge. If a person is foolish enough to take short cuts and try to use just one die set to reload two different cartridges - then he is foolish enough to take shortcuts in the rest of his reloading. I hope that I never am shooting next to him at a range.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63