The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 12, 2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Browning

What can you tell me about this derringer?

I lack a lot when it comes to gun knowledge. I recently acquired this pistol from my grandmother and would like to find out some more info on it if I can. It was my grandfathers gun and he just passed away late last year. I don't plan to fire this gun at all. I got it, took a picture, wrote down the numbers on it and stored it away where it will be pretty much forgotten.

I assumed it was something he brought back from one of the wars but I was informed today it may have been given to him by his father.

I'd like to know it's age for the most part. One side says cal 22 and I think it has SSLR next to that. A little further down it has a series of numbers. Other side only has Germany on it.

Old April 12, 2010, 06:28 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

Looks like one of the Roehm models. For age, German made firearms should have proof marks on them, most post-war models include the date. Check for a eagle-over-N mark, next to it some crest for the individual proof house, followed by date and year of the proof. Or put up some close-up pictures.
Old April 12, 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Browning

I'll have to get it out tomorrow and check. Is there a trick to opening the barrel on these? I tried earlier but couldn't get it. It's been sitting in that case for a lot of years. Didn't do too much looking at it but I'll try to get better pics tomorrow.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:08 PM   #4
RJay

That little lever on the right side, that is the barrel lock. push the lever around and the barrels will unlock and lift up. If they don't want to lift, then it's either rusted shut or gummed up. As stated, your derringer is of the type imported in the the late 50's up to 1968. Made by several makers, Rohm, Sauer and Son and a couple of more who's names escapes me. Chambered for the 22 Short {S} Long {L} and Long Rifle {LR} or S-L-LR. Regardless of who made it the value would be the same 45 to 65 dollars. It is a current or modern firearm and as such there is no collectors interest in them. They were inexpensive firearms, which its real value is as a heirloom and keepsake. If the firearm is tight there is no reason you can't shoot it, but don't expect to hit anything over 5 feet away. They were made to be accurate over the distance of a card table.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Browning

Weird. That little level just spins around likes it's not attached to anything. think the screw on the other end is loose
Old April 12, 2010, 09:45 PM   #6
RJay

From your photos it appears that the lever is rivited, most of the ones I have seen are attached with a screw. With out having the gun in my hot little hand I couldn't start to tell you how to fix it. I will say that the round pin the lever is attached to has to turn to unlock the barrel. I wonder if sometime in the past the screw was lost and someone used a rivet in lieu of.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:50 PM   #7
fastforty

I inherited one just like yours, with the same markings. They have a very strong hammer spring, I wouldn't try cocking it until you can get the barrels open to verify that it is unloaded. Once you do get it open (and verify that it is unloaded) cock it & let the hammer down easy a couple of times, noting the position of the firing pin (it looks like a blade) to see that it is reciprocating from the top to bottom position (that's how it manages to fire the upper and lower barrels separately with one firing pin).