Old August 22, 2011, 02:44 PM   #26
MEATSAW

Its a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
Old August 25, 2011, 01:15 PM   #27
alongston

Nice! Congrats and great pictures.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:57 PM   #28
jaybirdjtski

I mounted a scout scope on mine. Havn't hunted with it yet, but I did start reloading 165g Hornady Interlock bullets for it. Watch out, because the manual calls for a far-longer COL than my gun has. Luckily I made a dummy round first. Chambered it. Stiff extraction left the bullet in the rifling and extracted the case. I had to punch the bullet out of the rifling with a dowl rod. Yikes.
I measured the chamber and loaded for an alarmingly shorter COL, allowing for a .015 bullet jump. It works fine. Once I get it zeroed, I plan to whack a S.C. deer or hog.

I am just starting to reload for the 7.5 Swiss. I've been rolling my own since 1960 but just starting on the 7.5. From all the research I've done it appears that the K31 is designed specifically for the GP11 bullet. A quick look will prove this to be a long and aerodynamic shape. So, it appears that the COL really depends upon which bullet you choose. To make life simple I just sent Sinclair's a fired 7.5 case and bought a Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth tool. I am also picking bullets with a shape similar to the GP11.
Old December 29, 2011, 08:48 PM   #29
zfk55

That's going to be the 175 Berger VLD, and don't worry about the COAL. Concentrate on the ogive to lands, and the k31 likes very little freebore.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old December 29, 2011, 09:12 PM   #30
Nico Testosteros

Man, I've got to get the mount and scope on my K31 for next season.
Old December 29, 2011, 09:42 PM   #31
tobnpr

I've always steered way clear of any sort of "clamp-on" anything with a rifle, particularly scope mounts, but I hear these are pretty stout.
I'm getting ready to scope a K-31 we just bought, but I'm torn between going with the d&t, or the clamp on.

My concern with the clamp-on is that the scope is offset on the right side of the rifle. Is this awkward when it comes to a comfortable, natural cheekweld?

I bought my younger son a K-31 for Xmas last week.
A couple of boxes of GP-11 and we packed it up with our usual sticks for a range trip last weekend.

So, he racks a round, aims at the 12" AR-500 plate we placed at 110 yards (100M), squeezes off a shot, and nails it dead center.
Racks another round and hands it to his older brother. Single shot, another perfect hit.
Then he hands it to me, and I make it 3 for 3....

Three shooters, 3 rounds, 3 hits from a rifle that none of us had ever handled, much less shot. I was amazed- particularly because, well...the irons on this rifle leave a lot to be desired... I can't wait to see what it'll do when scoped.
Old December 30, 2011, 12:45 AM   #32
benogil

You will have 3 mount systems for a K31, scout mount ( S&K ), Swiss Products off set, and Rock Solids over the barrel. All get high marks. Good luck deciding. You can read about all of them.
Old December 31, 2011, 11:39 AM   #33
tobnpr

I like the Rock Solid-but not $300 worth of like...
And I relegate scout mounts to scout rifles, of which I have none.
So, that leaves Swiss Products

Like I said, I'm just a bit concerned about the left side scope mounting with the clamp on, but I've been told ya get used to it.

For sake of accuracy at longer ranges, I prefer the scope over the centerline of the bore if I can get it, but only RS allows that to happen.
Old December 31, 2011, 06:07 PM   #34
zfk55

Nope. Not just RS (for all practical purposes) Read about the offset here........... http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...t=Search+Forum

And........ Many of us hunt with the scoped k31, and my Dad designed this and the Drill/Tap type mounts to be as low to the center of the bore axis as possible. Fixed 4's, 6's and 8's (if you can find one) are recommended.
The difference between POI at 200 yards and 400 yards is not something you can measure unless you use a solid fixed firing device. Then you might see about 1.25" difference. Zeroed at 200, you'll hit that deer at 500 yards.

Clearances:

And this is our recomendation for a scope profile for the k31 or 1911. A leupold fixed 6 power.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old January 9, 2012, 10:28 PM   #35
FairWarning

Great thread. I am a long time 8mm Mauser fan and new admirer of the K31 7.5 x 55.

Not sure why I never bothered to learn much about it in the past, but I'm a sucker for special/unique guns, and the K31 qualifies!

It is much more satisfying to bag a deer with a piece of history, isn't it?