The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old April 1, 2011, 03:24 PM   #1
frumious

Forming .45ACP from .308

All,

I'm short on .45ACP brass but long on .308 (go figure). Could I maybe use a hacksaw and my case length trimmer to "form" .45 from .308? I figure since they use the same shellplate on my press they have to be more-or-less the same diameter case. Also, the (I imagine) thicker .308 brass would allow for some hella-strong .45 ++P++ loads. Yeah, they'd use large rifle primers but I'd just keep this brass separate from any normal .45 brass I ever end up with.

What do you guys think?

-cls
Old April 1, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2
spacecoast

Sounds like a lot of work for brass that should be really easy to obtain. We always have plenty .45ACP at our local range, free for the taking.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:31 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

It could be done, but I would buy brass off the net first. The 308 has to be cut down and then neck reamed for the .452 bullet. In the long run not worth it. If it was some obscure caliber that you shoot maybe once a year then do it, but not for 45ACP.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:31 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

You'll need an appropriate reamer, to reduce case wall thickness, once you cut the cases down. If you don't, you won't be able to seat bullets. If you do manage to seat a bullet, it won't fit in the chamber of the pistol.

And... for the cost of a reamer, you could buy a fair amount of .45 brass.

Quote:
Also, the (I imagine) thicker .308 brass would allow for some hella-strong .45 ++P++ loads.
If you attempt such things.... You'll quickly find that your pistol is not up to handling "hella-strong .45 ++P++ loads"; if it manages to survive the first of such loads.

With rifles, the case is generally the weakest link.
With pistols, the chamber/barrel is often the weakest link. The cases can still be holding, when your chamber swells or lets go.
It's an expensive and dangerous way to learn a lesson the hard way.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:41 PM   #5
frumious

FM, I don't think I need a reamer...here is how I planned to get around the thicker case problem. First, since the brass IS thicker, I could just bell it a little more (I figure it could take the abuse OK). Then I'd use my Lee factory crimp die in the last station instead of a conventional crimp die. The FCD should swage the bullet enough so that the cartridge feeds OK.

As to the ++P++ loads I hear ya but I figured I'd work up slowly and see what my gun could handle. Or maybe I'd get into a strong revolver I can shoot .45ACP in using moon clips - does Ruger make a convertible like that maybe? Rugers are real strong.

-cls
Old April 1, 2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"First, since the brass IS thicker, I could just bell it a little more (I figure it could take the abuse OK). Then I'd use my Lee factory crimp die in the last station instead of a conventional crimp die. The FCD should swage the bullet enough so that the cartridge feeds OK."

My guess is it still won't work as you won't be able to put that much crimp into the case to swage the bullet down that much.

Even if it does, you've just damaged the living hell out of the bullet.

If you do intent to try it, though, I can only say... I'm glad you're doing it with your press and your gun and not mine.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:59 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I would ask why. If it is just a to see if you can deal I understand. Though you could save a lot of time by making a trip south to the rnage I visit. Bring a bag to put the brass in. I filled a 10 pound ice bag in a half hour way back when. The buckets are full of brass right now.

Cost to you would be $30 range fee, and a 3 hour drive. In the time you spend making 100 pieces of the cut down, you could have come down and shot a ton, and picked up more brass than a pack mule could carry out.
Old April 1, 2011, 04:07 PM   #8
frumious

Awww Mike I think it'd be cool. The first heeled bullet for .45ACP!!

Happy April Fool's day, BTW

And FWIW I currently have about 15 gallons of .45ACP and exactly 100 .308 cases so if anything I'd be trying to form .308 from .45 with a blowtorch LOL.

Have a great day y'all!!

-cls
Old April 1, 2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nice.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread