The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 23, 2009, 03:58 AM   #1
Nero45

Mosin-Nagant Bolt Replacement Goof Up

I purchased a new turn down bolt for my Mosin Nagant not realizing that it was the wrong style. I got the one for a newer style stock instead of standard stock. This poses a problem with locking the bolt. I doesn't close all the way making a possible health hazard. So the question is should I break down and get a sporterized stock (which the ones I really like that are wood cost $$$) or cut into the stock I have right now? Thank you.
Old September 23, 2009, 05:44 AM   #2
simonkenton

Cut into the stock you have. What the hell, you already bent the bolt.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Homer2

You cut the stock, you can never go back. There are plenty of stocks out there that are already cut. Check eBay or other places.

What type of stock is it? If it's a M91 long rifle (not 91/30) that stock alone may be worth $100. Put an add on the trader to swap stocks or sell what you have to finance the stock you want. The unaltered 91/30 stock, handguard, and barrel bands can be worth +/- $50 depending on type and condition. That may finance a good chunk of the sporter stock you want.

Your rifle, but check before you cut.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Nero45

Thanks so far for the help. I have the 91/30 version and after looking at the prices for stocks and everything it turns out I could buy another rifle for that price. The problems with using a very cheap but very good rifle to work on. I guess I could buy another one and sort of make one gun out of two. Or which ever one has the worse stock just strip it, cut into it, and refinish it. Oooh I'm liking this. I really don't want to do too much to the gun I sort of like the whole original military rifle. I've never liked the straight bolt on the gun.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Rangefinder

^^^ While that isn't a bad way to justify buying another rifle.... You don't need to "cut" anything to modify your current stock. After a quick glance at my 91/30---You'll need a round wood rasp, a pencil, and a little sandpaper----don't get a saw or chisle anywhere near it. Just mark with the pencil where the bolt handle hits against the wood, pull off the stock, and use the rasp a little at a time to shave out the notch while checking progress OFTEN. Then smooth it out with the sandpaper, refinish to your preference, and you're golden. The key is to work in very small, slow steps---don't be in a hurry!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 23, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6
csmsss

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said.

That Mosin is not a precious artifact, it was made by the countless millions and rasping away a bit of the stock isn't going to hurt a thing. Their value is in their ability to provide cheap shooting fun, not being babied nor treated as a sacred relic. Also, there are plenty of spare stocks and other parts available, so even if you mess up, there's little penalty.
Old September 23, 2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Rangefinder

One thing I should mention... When you get it to where the bolt fits the notch and locks, take it just a bit further. Wood will swell with altitude changes and humidity/temperature. If the bolt handle is tight against/inside the groove when you finish, it will probably get tighter with a little warmth from firing and moisture in the air. plus, the Mosin has a hard-hitting recoil. You don't want the bolt handle resting against end-grain of the back side of the groove--the amount of energy transfer moving up the steel bolt could start a crack very easily if it's in solid contact. Small detail, but relivant. Give it room to "breathe" just a little.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
woad_yurt

Buy another rifle!

You can have one modified and one "as issued." Those things are cheap.
Old September 24, 2009, 03:29 PM   #9
mp25ds4

its a mosin, i would just cut the stock, they're not going to have collector value in this lifetime
Old September 24, 2009, 05:35 PM   #10
SigP6Carry

is it a 91/30? If it's anything other than a 91/30, I wouldn't preform any irreversible mods.
Old September 25, 2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Homer2

Common refurb 91/30's typically aren't collectible. Typically. However, there are some odd-ball 91/30's among the refurbs that are proving collectible. There are some re-capture [SA] Finn-marked 91/30's (a couple have turned up), MO double/triple dated rifles, former sniper rifles, DDR /1\ marked rifles, etc. Odds are that yours has none of these features.

However, when I hear someone suggesting that any rifle be modified, I just want to say take a second and check to see if it may be better off left alone, or parts salvaged that may be useful to others who need them. I'm a collector and shooter, and it's your rifle and you can do as you please. I just hate to see what once was a cool rifle worth less than 1/4 of it's likely value because of modifications. For example, Mosin Dragoon rifles and M91 long rifles were once very cheap and not considered collectible. Many had barrels cut short and stocks cut. Some of these were rather rare now and could be worth much more in original condition. I'm not suggesting your 91/30 is a rare gem or will ever be worth much more than now, but sometimes you never know.

I still suggest selling the stock to help pay for a custom sporter stock, which may make the rifle a better shooter. Good luck with your project.
Old September 29, 2009, 05:54 PM   #12
MagnumWill

I had the same problem, with the turndown handle hitting the wood, not closing the bolt all the way. I got in there and sanded it down, and upon refinishing it looked like CRAP! I turned mine into the P/U sniper, so that just wouldn't do. I bought a new turndown bolt from buymilsurp (which is AWESOME, mind you) and a new stock on Ebay. Now it looks great.