The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Jack Reevez

Greese or oil on pistol frame/slide rails

Hi. my questions is. while shooting, what should be applie dto the pistol's slide rails and frame rails, Greese or oil? The questions is because i just read in a few other threads that most of the time soil doesnt stick to the slide and frame rails and so the wear 'n tear damages the gun.

Secondly i wante dto know if i use oil on the rails, hows slip2000 gun lube for that? and hows that in comparision with greese?

Thanks everyone.

Happy shooting.
Old October 22, 2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

lube

Sir;
I'd just periodically use a good gun oil.
However, in a properly "set-up" 1911 you should need very little lube on the rails - I usually keep that until after cleaning.
Harry B.
Old October 22, 2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Wildalaska

White lithium grease

WildcheapAlaska ™
Old October 22, 2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Double J

Normally I'd use a film of grease on a high friction part and oil the low friction parts. I'd use grease on the slide. But...If it's real cold, i'd not use any lube. Even oil causes hang-ups if it's cold enough. Extended use in the dirt, I'd go for a dry lube such as graphite. My $.02 worth.
Old October 22, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
hockeysew

Tetra grease for the slides.
Tetra oil for pivoting assemblies.
You will never use anything else after you use Tetra.
Old October 22, 2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Quote:
Tetra grease for the slides.
You mean lithium grease repackaged and repriced

WildallthesmaeAlaska ™
Old October 22, 2008, 05:44 PM   #7
VaFisher

Try brake caliper grease, put it on and wipe it back off, it leaves a very fine sheald that works great. It does not collect sand or dirt and when our troops were in the first gulf war they found out this worked better then anything else they had mostly because it didn't collect sand like all other products. The sand was a heck of a problem on most all machanical items over there and when they found this worked they used it on endless items to solve the sand issue.
Old October 22, 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
ActivShootr

I'm with Harry. A drop or two of oil would do the trick. I use grease for storage but while shooting, if needed, I use gun oil.

Quote:
graphite
Wouldn't that be kind of abrasive?
Old October 22, 2008, 06:49 PM   #9
orionengnr

There are as many opinions as there are lubes. What is "best"? As soon as someone can substantiate that without fear of repudiation, a lot of lube companies will go out of business. I don't anticipate that happening any time soon.

A number of companies are using troop testimonials to "prove" that theirs is best. Among them:
--Militec
--Gibbs
--Weapon Shield

I've never seen the need for grease on slide rails. Tried Lubriplate once on a 1911 but it perceptibly slowed the action during hand-cycling. I cleaned it off without firing and returnred to oil. Oil works fine if you clean and lube your pistol at any reasonable interval.

I am currently trying out the Gibbs and the Weapon Shield. Initial results with both are encouraging. My personal favorite is Eezox, which is the best but it's pricey, it's availability is, ummm, not so good and I'm getting screwed on shipping.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Mac's!

I use a lube called Dri-Slide for all internal workings and a very thin coat of Militec for the rails. I apply both to hot metal, let it "soak" for a few minutes and then wipe off only the excess Militec. The Dri-Slide will eventually dry anyway.

I've found this to be good combination of lubes for the appropriate parts and not having them turn into a slimy dust magnet. The Molybdenum Disulfide in Dri-Slide goes on very thin so it can penetrate into tight spots and then drys in place. The Militec gives a little heavier lube to the slide/frame rails.

I've never found ONE lube that was able to everything well: Penetrate, cushion, lubricate and not make a mess on my clothes. The combination that I use meets my requirments. I've only used the Militec for a few years so it doesn't have a long track record with me but I've been using the Dri-Slide for about thirty five years. It has a good track record with me. Keep yer powder dry, Mac
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old October 22, 2008, 08:15 PM   #11
NormOps

Copper Anti-Sieze

The same stuff Glock uses in the factory. I've been told it can be purchased at auto parts and hardware stores, although I've yet to find it locally. I bought a tube through Brownells, it was the Locktite Brand, but I don't actually know how many manufacturers actually put it out.

Eli W.
Old October 23, 2008, 06:18 PM   #12
hockeysew

Quote:
You mean lithium grease repackaged and repriced
No, I mean Tetra. Totally different stuff.
Lubriplate is still a petroleum based product.
Tetra is totally synthetic and is unaffected by temperature,water and sweat.
Even when it is wiped off it still leaves a slick feel to the surface.
It is the one product that I have found that will not let a stainless pistol gall and yet wont stain if you get it on your clothes.
Try that with Anti-Seize.
Old October 23, 2008, 11:51 PM   #13
radom

I use GI lubraplate rifle grease. Its cheep, a pound can last forever and it works in our fire pumps just fine. The fire pumps take a lot more abuse than any pistol slide will ever too.
Old October 24, 2008, 05:46 AM   #14
NGIB

I use Mobil One synthetic oil on all of my guns. At less than $6 a quart it goes a long, long way...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old October 24, 2008, 09:37 AM   #15
Harry Bonar

NGIB

NGIB;
I'm proud of you! Thank you for your service to our country!
Harry B.