The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Chris17404

12 gauge reduced recoil #1 buckshot loads?

Hi all,

I'm researching shotgun ammunition specifically for home defense. I really like the idea of reduced recoil loads by Federal and Remington. However, I can only seem to find them in 00 and #4 buckshot. Does anyone make a reduced recoil #1 buckshot load?

If not, how much different would Federal's 2 3/4 Power*Shok #1 Buck (F127) feel versus Federal's Power*Shock 2 3/4 Low Recoil 00 Buck (H132)?

I've already purchased 3 or 4 different type of loads and will be testing/patterning them to see which I prefer. I just haven't found any reduced recoil #1 buck loads yet, and would like to find some since it seems like #1 buck is the most highly recommended HD load out there.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Chris
Old December 14, 2005, 04:22 PM   #2
12-34hom

#1 Buckshot.

1704, i use Federal #1 buckshot rounds for use a a duty load & HD. As far as a reduced recoil load goes, i don't think one is presently offered in #1 buck.

Recoil impulse is not that severe on these particular factory loads. I favor more pellets as opposed to larger sized shot.

There is a load made by ? designated an 8 ball load. it's a 00 load that's buffered giving excellent patterns at the 50 yard range.

12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old December 14, 2005, 06:18 PM   #3
gtomax

i fired both #1 powershock and reduced recoil tactical 00 buck in the same range session the other day. they felt basically the same.

my shotgun is also very compensated (VC system and knoxx stock) so recoil differences basically go from very light (light target load) to not bad at all and VERY powerful (magnum slug).
Old December 21, 2005, 03:11 AM   #4
106RR

I understand that you are trying to select the best load for HD, but only the coroner would know the difference between or among 00, #4 AND #1 when used for HD. I would pick the low recoil load that is easiest to obtain. Usually #1 buck doesn't pattern well in my 870. Again that's a moot point at in home ranges.