The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2005, 07:37 AM   #1
rcksil

Hard to load

Last night my son and I went to the range and shot some newly reloaded ammo. 230gr rn,W231 powder, CCI primers. When we tried the 4.3gr bullets it would not fully chamber, I had to push it a little to go in. I thought it was the gun. I then loaded some 4.6 gr and no problem. My question is... could the problem be with the crimp or maybe...? We also shot some 4.9 and 5.3 gr without any problem. Press is a Lee 4 hole turret, using carbide dies. This is also the first time we/he reloaded.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:06 AM   #2
tjhands

I'm not yet an expert on reloading, but it sounds like you've discovered the minimum powder load for that particular .45acp. The spring needs a certain amount of powder to make the slide cycle properly, thus loading another round in the chamber. Too little powder and you'll get failure-to-feeds (FTFs) or failure-to-eject (FTEs), which is what you experienced. Stick with the 4.6g of W231 and you should be fine.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:10 AM   #3
tjhands

.....I assumed that you meant the 4.3g load wouldn't load the next cartridge AFTER one had already been fired......is that right? If so, then I think my post above is correct. But if you meant that the very first round of that charge wouldn't load, then I am lost because powder weight wouldn't have anything to do with the first round chambering. That would have to do with overall length (OAL) of the cartridge, crimp, etc.
Old September 8, 2005, 06:39 PM   #4
rcksil

It was the first round, I chambered a round and I had to push it to get it in. I am going to try to give it a little more crimp because there was little or no crimp in these rounds. You are right I did like the 4.6gr , now I have to figure out what is good for the 185 or 200gr SWC.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Zekewolf

Crimp better. Make sure you're not overbelling. You only need to bell enough to get the bullet started when seating. You only crimp enough to remove the bell.
Old September 10, 2005, 05:28 AM   #6
ozzy1038

What Zekewolf said plus check your OAL. Is it the same as the others? Since your using lead is there any lead shavings or lube on the case rim (mouth)? If so you may not be "belling" enough. Any crud on the case rim (mouth) will cause and can lead to chambering issues as it will build up in the chamber.

One easy way of checking headspace or proper length is to drop a loaded round in the chamber (w/ barrel out of gun) and see if the base of the cartridge is even with the chamber hood. It should be no longer than the hood. Does it go in and out easy (drop in and drop out)? When it goes in I like to hear a little 'ting' metal on metal contact sound which is the casing mouth making contact w/ the chamber rim. This lets me know I wont have any chambering issues. Ask me how I know.
Old September 10, 2005, 06:41 AM   #7
rcksil

These are some good ideas that I will check. I never thought of seeing if they fit, I always assumed. Thanks for all the info.
Old September 10, 2005, 07:40 AM   #8
.45 Vet

You can use your barrel as a chamber gauge,(out of the pistol of course), but you should also set your dies to give you a tighter crimp. .469-.470".

Follow the reloading manual for O.A.L. And try using just enough bell to make
bullet insertion easier, not drop in...