The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Fusternc

Idiot scratch on stainless SA Loaded 1911..repair??

I'd like to see if anyone here can tell me about any home repair job for the infamous "idiot scratch" on a stainless SA Loaded 1911 slide. Products, tools to use, etc? I was wondering if a bit of flitz and a small dremel with polishing cloth tip would work? Its pretty superficial but noticeable just the same. Thanks!
Old October 22, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
LHB1

I removed/camouflaged an idiot scratch on my Kimber stainless pistol using #400 and #600 grit sandpaper. CAREFULLY sand parallel with the existing pattern of SS finish on your gun. Do NOT sand in circles or in cross directions to "grain" in your gun's finish. On my gun this meant sanding horizontally (parallel with the rails of the gun). I used a small round rubber eraser with sandpaper wrapped around it to lightly sand alternately with the two grits until I got just the right "look" on the frame. Do be careful not to make things look worse.

ps: I would recommend NOT using a Dremel or other power sander for this job. A very light touch is needed.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

flitz and a soft cloth for a start. Hand rub only. If no results, go to emery cloth (ultra fine "sandpaper") Stay with hand rubbing, no power tools (way to easy to go to far in an instant) polish with the "grain" of the metal
Old October 22, 2008, 11:08 PM   #4
tomh1426

A piece of cardboard on a flat surface along with a straight edge a piece of 600 grit paper and plenty of oil.
Playboy penguin did a thing on it a while back.
Old October 24, 2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Harry Bonar

Scratch

Sir;
I had to remove the numbers and markings on several 1911 slides.
On my belt sander I used a very fine belt and since the serrations are below the sides you can do a beautiful job - maybe doing both suides so they match!
I know this sounds crazy but it did such a nice job I didn't even need to polish further!
Harry B.