The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 1, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1
WarChief146

Western Colorado Praire Dog Hunting

Greetings! I am new to the Western Slope (originally from Eastern Colorado) and want to hunt pdogs this fall. I am looking for either public or private land to hunt. I was raised on a dairy farm and am continually aware of cattle when I hunt. I have 22-.250 I want to exercise. My friend and I are not young, reckless kids. We are both 40+ years and responsible. We are simply looking to increase our shooting skills at long ranges.
Thanks,
WarChief 146
Old October 2, 2008, 12:32 AM   #2
nra_guns_winner

If your interested in western kansas try Morton county public land. I've been wanting to go their for a year or so and never find the time. I've talked with someone who has been their and they said the targets are slow and close. Of course if you want long shots like me that just back up a little. If you have been their I'd love some feed back Thanks.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3
taylorce1

WarChief146, welcome to TFL!

Don't know where exactly you live on the West slope, but if you got a license agent nearby where you can pick up a small game license look for the handbook as well. It will give you the regulations on prairie dogs. Gunnison/White Tail prairie dogs both have a season on them and can be shot on public lands. Black Tail prairie dogs are protected at the present time and can not be shot on public lands so you will have to seek private property to shoot on.

Place a news paper add in the local paper offering up some free labor for shooting privileges. Go down to the local café on the weekend and BS a little bit with the locals and you might get some suggestions on whom to talk to. Just don’t get too pushy and be polite when you get turned down but be persistent and you will find some people who will give you permission.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:51 AM   #4
WarChief146

Gents,
Thanks for all the information.

nra_guns_winner - I have heard that West Kansas has a good population, but I don't think I will make it out there for a while. It seems the only time I drive through Kansas is when Uncle Sam sends me somewhere.

taylorce1 - Thanks for the info and advice. I am not the pushy type. I ask and if told "no" I leave it at that. I will do as you suggested with posting an ad in the local paper.
Old October 3, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Dr. A

I make a habit out of hitting Westen Kansas at least once a year. I get kind of territorial about my spots. There has been a recent trend to poison many of the active towns. Unfortunately, this has cut down on the opportunities.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:51 AM   #6
tumbleweed2

western colorado praire dog hunting

Hey War chief, since there is so much public land here in Western Colorado you should not have any trouble finding excellent hunting. Make sure that you have a map that shows private land and stay to the lower elevations, desert type terrain of less than about 6000 ft preferably lower although I have seen many up in higher desert open areas. Check out my website www.tumbleweed-camping-shooting.com that has much info about Western Colorado hunting tips, town info and pictures. Good Luck and shoot straight!!

P.S. The season is from June 15 till the end of February
Old March 1, 2010, 01:09 PM   #7
bigredwelding

Praire Dog Shooting

Greetings! I am from Eastern Colorado (Elizabeth) and want to hunt pdogs. I am looking for either public or private land to hunt. I have 22-.250 I want to exercise. My friends and I are not young, reckless kids. We are all 30+ years and responsible. We have all shoot pdogs on private ranch land before and are sure to be very aware of the live stock at all times. Thanks
Old March 7, 2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

Giving out info about prairie dogs

Well, I have been shooting dogs for a few years, and believe me, it can be time consuming and disappointing trying to find places to shoot the dern things. So, a few months ago this guy at works offered to go shooting prairie dogs with me. I said: "Say what?" He says he thought it would be fun! I said: "Well sure! Hell yes! After I have worked my tail off finding a few good places to shoot these things, you are all ready to go with me, shoot some of my dogs, go back without me, and shoot these towns out. I don't think so, huckleberry."

You might say I am territorial too. In fact Really Territorial!
Old March 16, 2010, 11:50 PM   #9
Mike1

It's sorta like asking a dedicated fisherman where the best fishing spot is. If you get anything other than a disgusted look, the answer is probably not going to be anywhere near where the guy shoots.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:20 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
It's sorta like asking a dedicated fisherman where the best fishing spot is.
Amen! I can attest to that! After I spend hours pouring over nautical charts staring at all the depth numbers looking for possible spots that are not listed as a fishing spot, I don't want to see a boat belonging to a fella I took previously fishing over it.

For this reason, I better not catch a guy smugglin' a GPS onto my boat.

Brent