The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 30, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Gaucho Gringo

Make your own Trapdoor?

I was looking at a reproduction Springfield the other day that was priced fairly cheap. I had been looking for a Trapdoor, but haven't found one I like. Then it hit me, could you take one of the repro's, buy a trapdoor receiver and make one like they did originally or are the repro's out of spec too much to the originals to make this possible? I have seen the threads where members of this forum have rebuilt and modified original trapdoors but nothing like I am thinking. Any comments?
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old June 30, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sure it can be done

For fitting a barrel to an action:

You need a lathe with cutting bits, dial indicator, dial indicator holder and a depth indicator. You will also need a roughing reamer (or drill bit) and a finishing reamer, naptha or acetone and cutting oil.

You need a barrel blank of the desired caliber.

If you have never chambered a barrel, take all that stuff to a summer NRA class and take their machineshop class. I know at Trinidad the students at the summer school thread and chamber their barrel after the second week of machine shop (the first week they make tools and learn how to use the lathe).

For making an action:

You need a milling machine and a lathe. The lathe will be needed to make the receiver and the milling machine to make the trapdoor.
Old July 1, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3
ChaperallCat

dont forget accurate blueprints for the reciever and trapdoor. if you have those you dont need to purchase an entire replica rifle, just the stock and fitting.
Old July 1, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Forgot, you also have to know stockmaking too. #49 Nicholson, gouges, rasps, chisels and a lot of time.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If I understand correctly, the OP's idea is to buy a repro .58 rifle musket and then buy an original trapdoor recIeiver (are they available?) and make up a conversion like they did in 1866.

But the 1866 conversions were .50-70 and they lined the .58 caliber musket barrels. Also, the conversions did not use a receiver; the top rear of the barrel was cut away, and a receiver flange screwed onto the barrel on which the breechblock was hinged. There would be no problem with the stock or barrel fitting, since, again, if I understand correctly, the idea is to use the original (repro) musket barrel, stock and lock.

I have no idea where one could buy a Model 1866 receiver flange or breechblock, or get a .58 barrel lined to .50, though I suppose it could be done if there is enough money involved. Frankly, it seems to me that if the idea is to obtain a trapdoor, a shooter .45-70 trapdoor could probably be purchased for less than such a conversion would cost.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

On the 1st and 2nd Allin conversions the barrel is part of the receiver. They are made by cutting open the barrel and adding the breech block. I believe starting in 1868 the barrel and receiver were separate and new made for this purpose.

TK
Old July 3, 2013, 05:44 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

TK...

You are getting pretty good with these.
Old July 3, 2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Old Stony

You can still find some of the H&R repos around that were pretty nice rifles and would make a good shooter for a guy. I saw one last weekend at a swap meet laying on a table, but he wanted a little too much for it. Even a little too much would be better than the work and expense of building one.